T-Rex .577 and BIGGER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
...and other big bore rifles.
up to 2581 fps & 11100 foot pounds w/ a 750 grain bullet... OUCH!!!!

Opinions?

Yeah. The old .50 BMG sending an 800 grain projectile at 2,895 ft/s delivering 14,895 ft·lbf.

And it won't break your shoulder.

And of course holds the world record for the longest kill. Being broken by itself several times (TAC50, Robert Furlong, Canada, then I believe beaten by an English lad more recently).

Depending on what source you read and who's circle you're in, confirmed vs. unconfirmed, bla, bla, it could be the .50BMG or .338 Lapua for the longest kill.

At those distances, I think it's more the shooting team than the cartridge.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What's the point of using these monster cartridges over something more readily available like the .50BMG? (serious question). It can penetrate a tank or armoured car...... And there are a plethora of exceptional rifles like the M82A1, TAC50....etc.
confused.gif

The point- The .460 WBY and most calibers cost less and are easier to get components for. This is true especially of the rifles. A 50 BMG rifle is harder for even FFL's to find and order and although I haven't done a lot of pricing on 50 BMG, I imagine it would cost at least $4-5K for a lower quality rifle. Barret rifles run the $6-9K price range. Your local FFL can easily order you an absolutely beautiful Mark V deluxe chambered in .460 WBY for around the $3k mark. A rifle like that will probably be lighter, more portable and just better suited to hunting than anything chambered in 50 BMG. Besides all this, the 50 BMG really needs a LONG barrel to get the projectiles up to speed. The .460 WBY's velocity is measured with a 26" barrel and that is what It comes standard with from weatherby.

In addition, the 460 WBY does not require specialized reloading equipment, cleaning brushes or equipment to work with. The 50 BMG requires a very large or propretiary single stage press and oversized dies, along with all the usual accesories. The .460's ammuntion will be smaller, lighter and easier to carry also. I can keep going with this but you might see the point already. The 50 BMG is powerful but not particularly well suited to hunting, espcically in the heavily forested jungles where a rifle of this caliber would be a serious necessity, not just something fun to shoot and cool to look at.

Cause who wants to lug around a .50 BMG all day is the reason. You realize most weigh over 25 pounds. And getting the monster into action is going to be slow. Quickness is a valid concern when fooling with stuff that will eat or stomp you.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What's the point of using these monster cartridges over something more readily available like the .50BMG? (serious question). It can penetrate a tank or armoured car...... And there are a plethora of exceptional rifles like the M82A1, TAC50....etc.
confused.gif

The point- The .460 WBY and most calibers cost less and are easier to get components for. This is true especially of the rifles. A 50 BMG rifle is harder for even FFL's to find and order and although I haven't done a lot of pricing on 50 BMG, I imagine it would cost at least $4-5K for a lower quality rifle. Barret rifles run the $6-9K price range. Your local FFL can easily order you an absolutely beautiful Mark V deluxe chambered in .460 WBY for around the $3k mark. A rifle like that will probably be lighter, more portable and just better suited to hunting than anything chambered in 50 BMG. Besides all this, the 50 BMG really needs a LONG barrel to get the projectiles up to speed. The .460 WBY's velocity is measured with a 26" barrel and that is what It comes standard with from weatherby.

In addition, the 460 WBY does not require specialized reloading equipment, cleaning brushes or equipment to work with. The 50 BMG requires a very large or propretiary single stage press and oversized dies, along with all the usual accesories. The .460's ammuntion will be smaller, lighter and easier to carry also. I can keep going with this but you might see the point already. The 50 BMG is powerful but not particularly well suited to hunting, espcically in the heavily forested jungles where a rifle of this caliber would be a serious necessity, not just something fun to shoot and cool to look at.

To be clear (this is for both you and hatt): I wasn't comparing it to the .460 WBY, only the T-Rex and other guns that border on ridiculous and who's rounds cost MORE than the BMG.

My point was what makes these shoulder-breaking "look at me" cannons (.577, .700....etc) a "better choice" than the BMG? Because I don't really see one
21.gif

You boys have both already made a fantastic case for the .460 WBY. I was not comparing it to that. The .50 is a big, heavy gun and yes, it is expensive and so are the rounds. But compared to the cost of some of the guns the OP speaks of, the .50 is pretty cheap. You could buy a McMillan TAC-50 and a few thousand rounds of ammo for the cost of some of these guns
crazy2.gif

Example:

.50 BMG Barrett M99:
http://frontierfirearms.ca/firearms/50bm...dark-earth.html

$4,349.00

.50 BMW Ammo:
http://frontierfirearms.ca/ammunition-re...-660-grain.html

In comparison, the .700 Nitro Express guns are 100-200K!!! And the rounds are $100/each!!!

Sometimes the expensive as hades guns only exist so people can say "Look how much money I have" since there are alternatives that are effective and yet practical for a much more reasonable cost.

For a boutique gun I would however love a Szecsei & Fuchs double barrel bolt action

Folks going on $25K safaris with high end hand crafted double rifles aren't worried about ammo costs. And I'm sure you can get into a 700 NE for well less than $100K if you just had to have one. The 700 is a poor example because it's basically a novelty round. Not many are sold and that why you see the crazy ammo prices. .223 would $50 a box if they only sold 50 boxes worldwide a year.

I believe we're missing one important issue when talking about hunting with the BMG. Local laws. Many counties don't allow military calibers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
The 700 is a poor example because it's basically a novelty round.

That is what I was getting at with all my posts. .577 T-rex and almost anything bigger than the .460 WBY and most of the popular african cartridges are novelty at that point. The weatherby cartridges, the H&H, Nitro express and few others names are the trusted standybys for large, dangerous game, including elephant. I am not saying the .460 is the only round that works, but it is one of the most powerful centerfire cartridges that is still practical. It would be very unlikely to find a reputable african hunting outfit recommending anything ammo wise but what I listed above.

In more direct words, what do I think of the .577 trex and bigger calibers? They are a stupid waste of time and money. Most of them are not even proven to be as powerful as they say. They just have cool names and make neat collectors items.

Stop with the cost and practicality talk. Hunting big African game is not practical or cheap. It's because you want to do something over the top. If I were going I'd take something with style. Likely a .416 Rigby.

Stop with the cost and practicality talk. Hunting big African game is not practical or cheap. It's because you want to do something over the top. If I were going I'd take something with style. Likely a .416 Rigby.

But many of these guns aren't purchased for Safari, they are "look at my truck nuts" purchases to be taken to the range to show what a "tough guy" they are and how the guy just must be rolling in dough to have a .577 T-Rex
smirk.gif

In that environment there isn't a single d*mn thing it is going to do better than a far less expensive .50 BMG. An M82A1 will dust it in every category and won't break your shoulder. Speaking of which, that IS one of the .50's I can't buy up here, because it is semi-auto. But I can get a TAC-50, M99....etc. And the pricing is pretty reasonable
thumbsup2.gif

Who cares? Most firearms are sold because someone wanted it vs needed it. I'm just not understanding the infatuation with what others buy. The gun industry would collapse after everyone bought a couple 9mm GLOCKs, an AR15 in .223, 12 gauge pump, and a hunting rifle or two in .22LR/.223/.30-30/.30-06/.308/.338 Win Mag. That will get everything done that you need done in the North America. Anyone wanting something else is just doing to try and show up someone else.
wink.gif

Who cares? Most firearms are sold because someone wanted it vs needed it. I'm just not understanding the infatuation with what others buy. The gun industry would collapse after everyone bought a couple 9mm GLOCKs, an AR15 in .223, 12 gauge pump, and a hunting rifle or two in .22LR/.223/.30-30/.30-06/.308/.338 Win Mag. That will get everything done that you need done in the North America. Anyone wanting something else is just doing to try and show up someone else.
wink.gif

I see what you are saying, lol
smile.gif

I dunno, guess I'd rather be the guy with the .50BMG that about the only thing I could hunt would be moose with it, out-shooting the guy busting his should with his .577 T-Rex at the range. I think the .50 is just a much more capable round given its extensive use in law enforcement, the military and in particular sniping. It isn't a novelty round like the .577, it has a legitimate purpose.

I guess my hang-up is on the reactions like that of the OP that see .577 and think "oh wow, this is incredible, that's a HUGE friggin gun! That guy must have the nuts of a hippo hangin' off of him", not realizing that this novelty cartridge can't deliver like the far less expensive .50 BMG, which is simply superior in every aspect but apparently ranks lower on the "man card" scale because the projectile is smaller in diameter.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Some guys just want a cannon that puts the biggest hole possible in the target without going to a 75 caliber Brown Bess. lol

Yeah but you can get depleted Uranium and Incendiary rounds for the BMG, LOL!
grin.gif
(well, perhaps not available to the general public, but they certainly exist for military purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back