NAPA Gold and Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between NAPA Gold and Silver filters? (beside price)
Are they made by the same company? (wix i think)
I bought a couple today and they always tell me the silver is the best buy since I change oil religiously at 3-5k. They tell me the gold isn't worth the extra $4

I think the quality of the Silver filter depends on the particular model. I've cut one Silver open, and it looks OK. I've seen photos of other model Silvers cut open, and they're junk. They're cheap enough; cut one open and let us know what you think.

Ken

[ January 21, 2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I've been trying to find out info on the NAPA Gold but there isn't much out there. From what I've heard (but I'm not 100% sure) the Gold is made by Wix but the Silver is not.

i called wix and they gave me the following info. on napa gold filters:micron=19,flows=11-13gpm,bypass valve away from the threads psi=12...the same specs. for wix's filters

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i called wix and they gave me the following info. on napa gold filters:micron=19,flows=11-13gpm,bypass valve away from the threads psi=12...the same specs. for wix's filters

Sounds like a pretty decent filter! It confirms my theory that this filter flows very well, since this was the filter on the recent LS1 oil analysis using GTX 10w40 which showed the best LS1 numbers I've seen so far.

I hope I can buy this filter at the UAP/NAPA stores up here, I'll start using it instead of the PureONE on my mom's 94 Probe GT (I'd use a K&N on hers but Canadian Tire doesn't sell that part number, and the speed shops that can get it for me want $22 CDN for it as opposed to $14 from CDN Tire when it's on sale)

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:

I just read this again and am confused. Did they say that the regular Wix filters are the exact same specs? So what is the difference in the NAPA Gold, just a pretty label?

I have bought Napa Gold's and Wix before and compared them--identical. The only difference is the paint job and part number. For example for my 1998 Monte Carlo and 92GMC in the NapaGold filter it is part# 1036 but in Wix it is # 51036.
Price Napa Gold $5.97
Price Wix $3.99

Same filter but two dollars difference in price.
The filters seem to hold good pressure also. Whereas my car doesn't have an oil pressure guage, the truck does so I always "test" a filter on my truck before trying the particular brand on my car. The Wix/napagold/carquest filters along with AC Delco and K&N seem to hold pretty solid oil pressure (70 psi on most mornings)(50-60 psi after warmed)with filters like PureOne's and Mobil One's showing slightly lower pressure after the engine warms (40-50psi). These numbers are all estimates since the guage reads in increments of 0 to 40 to 80 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back