Honda Z-1 and DW-1 compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the OP is still under warranty, and some Honda AT's have a less than stellar rep, I'd stick with DW-1. But, the DW-1 recommendation here is only because of warranty considerations.

But, for me and my two Hondas that spec Z-1, it's MaxLife.

Rule of thumb I use for Hondas. If the car was made while Z1 was being distributed use Z1/DW1. If while DW 1 was being sold, don't use Z1.

Z1 should not even be an option anymore but I still have some laying around to use as a flushing ATF fluid.

There is reason why DW-1 might not always be a good replacement for Z-1. However Z-1 is not a good solution either for old Hondas with its low heat resistance and other factors. DW-1 has lower viscosity than Z-1. This could cause issue with torque converter overheating. Sonnax states that "under certain conditions, the flow of TCC release/charge oil is low enough to allow the TCC piston to drag on the cover. When the TCC piston is dragging on the cover, heat is being generated and friction material wear is accelerated, leading to the 740 code."

And "Honda converter charge oil comes from the charge oil circuit of the main regulator valve. With this design, charge pressure is often only half of what line pressure would be."

Lower viscosity would cause lower pressure and greater probability of torque converter overheating.

Originally Posted By: thrace
There is reason why DW-1 might not always be a good replacement for Z-1. However Z-1 is not a good solution either for old Hondas with its low heat resistance and other factors. DW-1 has lower viscosity than Z-1. This could cause issue with torque converter overheating. Sonnax states that "under certain conditions, the flow of TCC release/charge oil is low enough to allow the TCC piston to drag on the cover. When the TCC piston is dragging on the cover, heat is being generated and friction material wear is accelerated, leading to the 740 code."

And "Honda converter charge oil comes from the charge oil circuit of the main regulator valve. With this design, charge pressure is often only half of what line pressure would be."

Lower viscosity would cause lower pressure and greater probability of torque converter overheating.

thanks, this is a good information to know. I worry this is reason Honda issue a transmission software update on 2007-2009 MDX in 2012, as Honda starting to use DW1 in 2011. Has Maxlife also has less viscosity compare to 4 or 5 years ago.

Since Honda atf is so expensive in my area, I use Maxlife on our two Hondas for almost 2 years now. The shifting on our 03 Civic is so smooth/seamless compared to the 99 Civic.

Actually, I just ordered another case (12 Quarts) good for another 2-3 years of supply.

walking up a old thread.

today I was checking Redline D6 page and notice it has mention of Acura/Honda ATF-DW1. maybe it was there before but this is a new to me. I will contact Redline to confirm if this is true, maybe how this is different to the past document.

I have used Honda DW-1 with a complete flush in my 09 Honda Civic since 20k miles with no ill effects. I have done 2 4x drain and fills since then......

I found a dealer with a special. $28.88+tax for 4 quarts of DW-1 and a crush washer. I was specifically asked for what car (my wife's 2002 Civic LX), although the 4 quarts was part of the deal. I would have paid that price for just the fluid, but that was the offer. The parts dept listed the washer at something like $3.50. It was an aluminum crush washer pretty much like the standard 14mm I.D. washer for the oil drain bolt, but 18mm I.D. instead.

I haven't touched it yet, but I remember doing this on my '89 Integra. It's pretty much the same, right? Just drain and fill? Back then I remember the tranny drain bolt took the same 14mm washer.

update, David stated there was a formulation change on Redline ATF-D6 for clutch compatibility (and that's why D6 was update to include ATF-DW1). I don't know if there is a better way verify beside sending date code to redline, or there is no good way to verify when purchasing over internet.

gogozy - a fluid you might want to look at is the castrol multi import ATF, if you want a thicker fluid that will shear down. I've seen it at WM and cdn tire. cheaper at WM.

Last edited:
thanks, I will search for that
smile.gif

I revive this thread to correct my earlier posting when I said Redline D6 is NOT compatible with Honda AT; seeing D6's new application list now, i don't want to mislead reader who is searching for fluid that is compatible with Z1 or DW1.

Originally Posted By: Quakish
... castrol multi import ATF, if you want a thicker fluid that will shear down.

Agree'd, that's why I'd stick to Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Red Line D6 is the cat's meow though.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gogozy
thanks, I will search for that
smile.gif

I revive this thread to correct my earlier posting when I said Redline D6 is NOT compatible with Honda AT; seeing D6's new application list now, i don't want to mislead reader who is searching for fluid that is compatible with Z1 or DW1.

The web site now shows that D6 is compatible with DW-1 (two places on this web page):

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=30704

Is there a separate "application list" showing different information or have there been updates???

I did a search for DW-1 on the same link using the search in upper right corner and D6 is all that came up.

I do not plan to use D6 on 14 MDX but use non standard ATF on 2004 TL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back