If you use a tire valve stem on your gas can...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been pondering the idea of using a tire valve stem to vent some of my newer CARB gas cans. I was leery about how the gas may effect the rubber so I dropped one stem in a container of gas overnight. When I saw it this morning it was swollen up like a tick and the gas had a brown color like sweet tea. The gas had to leach some chemicals out of the rubber. While I know that the valve won't always be completely immersed in gas, there still will be contact with gas during transport and when handling the can.

I am either going to use the vent that comes with the EZ-Pour spout or just deal with not having a vent at all. Has anyone had problems with their valve stems degrading over time?
Here is the swollen gas soaked stem next to an unaffected stem.

The rubber in the stem is EPDM, a rubber typically used for its ressitance to oxidation. Many rubber items such as coolant hoses, etc on vehicles are made from this. IT IS NOT FUEL RESISTANT! You need to have nitrile rubber to be resistant (there are other more expensive elastomers that are also fuel resistant.) Fuel hoses, fuel vent hoses, PS hoses, etc are made from nitrile.

I use only brass items on theses fuel containers when I modify them. No problems at all!

GasSpoutKit1.jpg

$10 at Tractor Supply

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/spout-kit-for-old-gas-cans

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Does not seem safe at all, I would not do it.

Do what I did, I recycled all the [censored] EZ-Pour and what ever else I had and bought some No-Spills.
http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1405-2-Ga...eywords=gas+can

Best thing ever.

I have two of the No-Spill cans and I think that they are the best of the CARB cans. That being said, I bought some Scepter 20 liter Jeep style jerry cans for $5 a piece. The scepter can with an EZ-Pour spout is only $15 vs $35 for the No-Spill can.

Here are the $5 cans.
IMG_5617_zpse76e96f9.jpg

Originally Posted By: Boomer
The rubber in the stem is EPDM, a rubber typically used for its ressitance to oxidation. Many rubber items such as coolant hoses, etc on vehicles are made from this. IT IS NOT FUEL RESISTANT! You need to have nitrile rubber to be resistant (there are other more expensive elastomers that are also fuel resistant.) Fuel hoses, fuel vent hoses, PS hoses, etc are made from nitrile.

I use only brass items on theses fuel containers when I modify them. No problems at all!

What brass fittings are you using if you don't mind telling us?

Just get a genuine Jerry can. (Avoid the cheap knockoffs or the Chinese lookalikes) These things will last forever and you won't have to worry about the terrible spouts they put on the CARB cans.

On the red cans shown above, I drill a hole in the top of the handle bulge away from the pour spout and thread in a brass nipple that also has threads on the other end. I then place a brass cap on that end. To pour, I take off the cap which now provides a vent to allow air to enter the can and the pouring from the spout becomes so much easier and less messy. Works like a charm for me and I have no rubber parts to swell.

The original poster wanted to use tire stems to vent his cans.

Last edited:
ok, off topic, but what's a carb can and what are the issues with fuel cans you are talking about? Just curious if I can pick up some interesting tips..
I use old jerry cans and some various plastic cans, none of them are like racing quick fills except for my stihl chainsaw auto stop which is great. Would not be fast enough to put on a 25 liter can though.

Last edited:
Carb cans are gas cans that comply with California rules that demand pouring of gasoline out of the can without spilling be very difficult so as to increase air pollution from evaporated fuel.

Lars,
The "CARB" can is a stupid gasoline can that we HAVE to use in the USA today. Due to environmental legislation and child safety legislation ALL new gas cans have to be child-proof AND cannot have a vent.
So now everyone spills gasoline everywhere and it takes forever to get the gas out of the can because it "gurgles" because there is no air vent to equalize the pressure inside the can as you're pouring it.
All the child proof pouring nozzles are VERY cheap and VERY difficult to use. Spilled gasoline is common. This has actually increased pollution because there is a lot more fuel accidentally spilled these days.
ALL new fuel cans in the USA have to be made like this. Believe it or not. Cherish your Sweden.
PS,
Most people actually throw the child-proof nozzle in the trash and use a funnel. In the last year I've actually seen people filling gas cans at the station and walking away with no nozzle or lid on the can. I've seen this 3 different times in the last year. And I've only noticed people filling gas cans 3 times in that same year. I guess everyone throws the spout away and stuffs a rag in it.
PPS,
They use a valve stem with the core removed to act as a vent on these ignorant-assed cans.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good summary.

I got so annoyed with spilling fuel from those nozzles that I've taken to just taking the cap completely off and using a funnel. I spill less and it takes about 90% less time. If you try pouring 5 gallons out of one of those CARB nozzles you'll be there all day.

I no longer have any gas burning OPE. It's electric and battery. That being said, I still have my 19991 vintage gas "can" (plastic).

Just drill yourself a vent hole that can be plugged with something when you're not using it. As long as the plug is tight you'll be complying with the spirit of the regulations as well as minimizing spillage.

The cap for the vent hole on my can never stayed on well (crummy threads) so I've been using a large sheet metal screw as a plug for twenty years. Of course, the can's been sitting empty for a long time now since I switched to electric stuff. My yard is tiny, so it's not a sacrifice for me.

I got a steel 1 gallon can to use for chainsaw gas and plan to get some five gallon cans eventually. They might be more expensive but work very well and don't blow up like a balloon.

I took a needle nose pliers to the "childproof" mechanism on my 1 gallon can that I use for my weedwacker fuel mix. Now all you have to do is align the spout and press the valve down, no stupid switch type slider to fool with. The fuel comes out at a pretty decent clip. The 5 gallon can for my lawnmower gas is a different story. If I had to refuel anymore then a small B&S tank I would look at drilling a vent.

If you buy a "utility jug" instead of a "portable fuel container" it'll have a nice vent and you can add a hose spout to the cap. They are called "utility jug" and labeled "not for use with fuel" because they don't comply with the EPA nonsense.

You could also install a PCV valve and grommet in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back