Fairly cheap, powerful fast car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These MIGHT be in the price category depending on age/miles:

4th gen Buick Regal GS?
Honda Prelude?
Acura Legend with the type II?
Acura CL?

I like the idea of an E36 BMW, or even an E30. One of my dream cars is a convertible E30. Very subdued styling with classic lines. Classic "European", that car.

Didn't someone on here buy an E30 on the REAL cheap one time? Was it JHZR2? I recall it was a 318 maybe and the person only gave a thousand bucks for it. For that entry price, and on your budget, you could invest some serious coin into making it better/faster. It won't win a burnout contest, but it'll be a very fun car to drive.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
One of my dream cars is a convertible E30. Very subdued styling with classic lines. Classic "European", that car.

Here's one, Hokiefyd
smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3-Ser...ca3&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Look for a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Boosted cars are usually cheap and easy to make faster and this one is in your price range.
+1...can't believe I'd recommend a GM, but, these cars are everywhere, tons in junkyards for cheap parts, (you'll need 'em) and they wake up quick with simple cheap mods like U-bend delete, 3" midpipe, pulley swap, ghetto intake, etc.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
SN95 Mustang. I picked up my 95 GT last year for $3250. Sure she didn't look the best, but she is fun to drive. I have her torn down now doing a rebuild on the motor and some pretty big suspension modifications.

Can't argue with this. They are everywhere and can be made to actually TURN unlike some of the FWD platforms mentioned by others here. Probably one of the best 'bang for your buck' out there with a real V8 for the correct soundtrack!

My biased opinion? A 2000-2002 Audi A6 2.7t with the 6-speed manual. The ECU can be reprogrammed to get a quick 50hp and 80tq bump for little money (I got my tune for the cost of a second ECU $75) and an exhaust will give you another 25 on both hp and tq. With the tune alone, you're at 310hp and 385tq on 93 octane.

Without the budget, you can go much further than this, but that involves fueling and new turbos. 500hp is not out of the question.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If you can spin wrenches (if not, do not even THINK of doing this), hunt Craigslist for someone selling a V8-swapped S- pickup. I have seen square-body trucks (1982-93) and early aero trucks (1994-1996-ish) go for $3-4K.

I like this idea best of all, so far. If it's not a daily driver, and one can wrench, why not? OP said nothing about steering or stopping.

I found an 82 Capri rs turbo for 400 bucks. Putting a 306 in it,t-5 tranny and 8.8 track lok with 3.90s and some interior pieces from a 2000 like leather power seats.
All in I'm under 3000 bucks for a 300hp very fun to drive go cart.
I love fox body Windsor powered fords. Cheap,easy to fix,plentiful cheap parts.

My buddy bought a 1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX GT with a slipping automatic transmission, A/C and nothing else for $500. Rebuilt auto, stall, tires, heads, intake, decent FI cam, headers, exhaust, 4.10 gears and a Procharger got him into the 10's for less than $10,000 on the stock lower end. We did almost all of the work ourselves and I'm not saying it can't be done but that's hard to beat, the ROI for that car has been fantastic, and he drives it to work...

Last edited:
Tried to edit but ran out of time. The stock rear axle on that 1989 LX had 140,000 miles on it and has held up to over 150 passes at this time (we did upgrade the shocks and bars) without issue. I doubt there are any cars driven daily that could sniff the taillights of that car from a 60mph roll on the interstate. Just to put it into perspective I have a friend with a NASTY Mitsubishi EVO that makes some stupid numbers, but he has $25,000 in the car and another $8,000 in mods and he doesn't stand a chance from any speed unless it's (raining) from a dig.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
These MIGHT be in the price category depending on age/miles:

4th gen Buick Regal GS?
Honda Prelude?
Acura Legend with the type II?
Acura CL?

An Acura 3.2 CL Type-S would be a beast and there are probably a couple in that price range. The J series V6's are just fantastic engines.

An E30 BMW (I6) is also a very interesting proposition. It wouldn't be stonking fast like the Acura but it sure would be fun.

Last edited:
2002-2003 Maxima SE 6 speed? (Same era Altima w/3.5)
They can run 13's for very little money, and they are comfortable with all the amentities to boot.

I have a friend with an 02 Maxima and he runs 12's all motor, hasn't even opened the engine. (cams, head work)

I miss mine, was a real straight line champ.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
240SX with a turbo KA24DE

...or better yet, a 'Kouki' with a worked LSx in the engine bay (for less coin, and about the same weight on the front end).
wink.gif

An older turbo'd miata can be pretty cheap. You just have to do some research on the various setups, they range from 140whp to 200++.
Even a stock one has a balanced chassis to be great fun for autocross, just don't expect to win many stop light sprints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back