Duralast Gold brake pads for Ford Focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
How are the Duralast Ceramic Gold brake pads for an 03 Ford Focus? Anyone have experience with them?
What I like about this set is that it comes with 4 rubber bushings, something that I would have to get separately otherwise.
I'm planning to go south of the border in the next month or so and wouldn't mind picking some quality pads for my Focus since I need to do the front brakes anyway.

Other suggestions are welcome as well.

I got the Wagner Ceramic pads for my '08 Focus from Amazon. I think with the free shipping, they were right at $40, which is a little less than AZ and AAP wanted for their cheapest pads.

There are a ton of brake pads out there and some house brands may change as they change suppliers.

The Wagner TQ (semi metallic or ceramic) is a tried and true brake pad. Sometimes even rebates (which I always forget to send in).

I see no reason to look beyond Wagner TQ for normal vehicles (non racing). I for one do not have time to keep trying brake pads from different companies looking for the perfect one.

Wagner TQ is mentioned a lot on this forum and I have never heard a bad word.

I have had a set on my Malibu (the Duralast Gold Ceramic) and they are very impressive. There is almost no dusting, and they don't squeak or anything else annoying. They have been wearing like iron. I drive around the Detroit Metro area, which looks a lot like a race at Martinsville.
I think they are a great pad at a good price.

I have used Duralast Gold on many customer cars because the price is right. I never have a problem with them coming back.

I have 1AAuto.com ceramic brake pads and rotors on my 2007 Ford Focus right now - work perfectly for $109.

Most of the aftermarket hardware does not fit very well - you are better off re-using the old ones or purchasing new ones from the dealer.

My experience with many aftermarket ceramic pads, including a set of the old-formula Duralast Golds on my Saturn, was that the "cold performance" was lacking. I would strongly encourage you to purchase a set of OE Ford pads, or even the Motorcrafts.

I only use Duralast Gold (Ceramic) pads on my customers vehicles and my own. Never have to buy pads again since they have a lifetime warranty. Never had one come back.

Last edited:
The Duralast Gold have done great on the wife's Mustang! No dusting, no noise, and checked them the other day when I was rotating the tires and hardly any wear. Wife mainly drives in town so I was impressed. The currently have about 20k on them. I was shocked that the rear pads had worn a little more and only have 5k more on them. These are TQ Ceramic by the way. Not bashing since they have always been great, just an observation.

I will say the TQ Semi- metallic that I out on my Dodge are great. Very little dusting when compared to OEM, stops great, and no noise. It's funny some say only OEM but I don't agree after I replaced the ones on the Dodge that still had a lot of pad left, but the dusting on the wheels was ridiculous. I would clean them every couple of weeks. Finally got sick of it.

OP update!

I ended up buying the Duralast Gold C-max pads, thanks to good reviews here.
I installed them couple days ago and everything went fine with no unexpected surprises or fitment issues. They went on with brand new rotors as well. I like the rubberized shims on the pads and together with a bit of grease that was provided with pads there is not a squeak or sound coming from the pads as of yet.
The stopping power seems fine, although I can only compare it to whatever was there previously (most likely some semi-metallic pads) and not OEM. However it is linear and cold performance is also good. For the final word on how they perform I will have to wait few hundred miles so that the pads can break in. I did not perform pad break in procedure as I don't feel it is needed in this daily driver and regular, non-performance pads.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
OP update!

I ended up buying the Duralast Gold C-max pads, thanks to good reviews here.
I installed them couple days ago and everything went fine with no unexpected surprises or fitment issues. They went on with brand new rotors as well. I like the rubberized shims on the pads and together with a bit of grease that was provided with pads there is not a squeak or sound coming from the pads as of yet.
The stopping power seems fine, although I can only compare it to whatever was there previously (most likely some semi-metallic pads) and not OEM. However it is linear and cold performance is also good. For the final word on how they perform I will have to wait few hundred miles so that the pads can break in. I did not perform pad break in procedure as I don't feel it is needed in this daily driver and regular, non-performance pads.

Good to hear. The pad break-in will accelerate the process, but pad break-in should occur eventually. Good cold performance is not always found with these aftermarket ceramic pads, so it's good that the CMAX pads deliver in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back