My 96 Dodge Grand Caravan Shakes at about 45-65

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a problem my 96 grand caravan v6 3.3 shakes at between 45-65 it also wobbles a little at or around 20 mph.... I balanced the tires but it still does it... the tires are about 6 months old any ideas?
Van has 170,000 and is used for the shop so there is always extra weight inside.

you can balance square tires but they will still vibrate.

not a technical answer.

I'd try roadforce balancing first.

maybe a bent rim or bum tire(s)

otherwise possible worn suspension/shocks etc.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with my 3-series but it would take 5 minutes or so of driving to start. It ended up being a seized brake caliper. I'd feel the wheels after a drive and see if one is noticeably warmer, otherwise maybe a balance/worn suspension issue?

Its a 17 year old caravan. Isn't a little shake normal
smile.gif

If it has drum rear brakes,make sure they arent dragging/too tight.I have seen those adjusters go overboard.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the caravan rode better than the Caddy its a comfortable van until the shake started.

Start at calipers and work your way around. Swap the tires around see if the vibration moves from the steering wheel to your seat.

tires can go out of round or experience carcass separation.

brakes dragging

shock lost pressure and is losing effectiveness

alignment off, contributing to wheel hop

some combination of all above

Sounds like the belts in the tires are coming apart. That causes a low speed wobble and high speed vibration. The extra weight in the van may have been too much for them - especially if they were run low on air pressure. You say you bought them six months ago, but do you know how old they really are? You can check this from a code on the sidewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back