Does my car need polishing compound? Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently got a
Turtle Wax - Super Hard Shell Paste Wax
Turtle Wax - Polishing Compound and Scratch Removed

What I want from my car-
-Remove scratches (low priority)
-I feel paint has faded/car not shiny - restore car shine (high priority)
-Protect paint from further fading/damage (very high priority)

The car surface feels very sticky/"not slippery".
The car has never been waxed, its 2008 model.

I am uploading some pictures of my car, do you think it needs some treatment by polishing compound based on my requirements? [or waxing will give it the shine/protection?]

Link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mxm0qs7yg0sjolx/6QwuQFrji5

If its never been waxed before then you need to polish/clay it first, otherwise the wax will wear off very quickly.

Really wash it well. Then as gregk24 stated use a claybar next with some soapy water. Polish then finally wax. It takes a few hours of your day for the first time. Then I would wax it at least every three months. That should protect it well. It just takes some work.

Good Luck!!

Originally Posted By: sgvaibhav
Hi,

I recently got a
Turtle Wax - Super Hard Shell Paste Wax
Turtle Wax - Polishing Compound and Scratch Removed

What I want from my car-
-Remove scratches (low priority)
-I feel paint has faded/car not shiny - restore car shine (high priority)
-Protect paint from further fading/damage (very high priority)

The car surface feels very sticky/"not slippery".
The car has never been waxed, its 2008 model.

I am uploading some pictures of my car, do you think it needs some treatment by polishing compound based on my requirements? [or waxing will give it the shine/protection?]

Link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mxm0qs7yg0sjolx/6QwuQFrji5

You should not need polishing compound on a car that new unless it has been sitting outside all it's life. Wash car with Dawn dish detergent, shammy dry, using a clay bar to remove any remaining surface grime. Polish car with a quality polish, then apply your wax over top. You should be good to go for 6 - 12 months.

Never use Dawn on your car unless you plan on waxing it as it will remove any/all waxes on the car.

That's going to take way better products and equipment than you mention there. To cut through those scuffs and scratches you're going to need a couple types of compound applied by a DA polisher.

If it were my car:
Wash
Nano Skin
Polish w/ Menzerna SI1500
Polish w/ Menzerna SF4500
Wash
Wax with Collinite 845

At the very least I'd use a quality one-step like Menzerna FG400.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this person is in Dubai it's entirely possible his paint can be in pretty bad shape what with all the sand blowing, desert sun and no real paint care.

Also I don't know what kind of products are available so people advocating Menzerna or other small boutique brands may not realize what's locally available.

That said Turtle Waxes polishing compounds are available but there's been a revamp of the line. Do you have the polishing compound in a white or green plastic tub or is it in a black squeeze bottle?

The one in the black squeeze bottle is actually relatively good stuff but you need to use a machine in order to work it down to the point where it won't leave swirls. Other than that it's a very fine finishing polish and not nearly as paint chewing aggressive as the white tub of polishing compound which you should avoid like the plague.

If you have the squeeze bottle then you can actually make do. All you need then is an automotive clay bar. I'd personally choose a better wax. Tell us what's available locally or if you're willing to mail order. Then you'll get enough advice to do a halfway decent job.

If you can get Meguairs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, you can make that paint really sparkle.

Sorry for the delay, am back now.

Ok so i checked the shops, and these are the brands that are available here for car exteriors.

-Meguairs
-Formula 1
-ArmorAll
-Turtle Wax

Now since i brought Turtle Wax Polishing Compound (http://www.turtlewax.com/detail-Polishing Compound-46-75.aspx), and Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste (http://www.turtlewax.com/detail-Super Hard Shell Paste Wax-42-45.aspx), I dont want these products to go to the bin without being used, since I rarely buy such products.

I am ready to ignore the scratches as well.
I just want the car shiny, and be protected from further damage.

Regarding Clay-bars, there is only one shop here selling claybar that too for a whopping $30. And I am a first timer, so I want to play really safe. (I guess I should ignore the claying stage)

Please suggest me a simple, not perfect yet satisfying approach whether I should use this polishing compound and wax the car, or just clean with shampoo and give it a wax.

Last edited:
NO CLAY BAR here...I see in you photos no oxidation overall...soooo....polish/or LIGHT compound the trouble spots...BUT...

IF the worst of the spots are BELOW THE CLEARCOAT then you will have to take care to protect the paint that is exposed...that may include REPAINTING those spots (with original paint), or RECOATING THEM with clearcoat (after a very light roughing with 0000 steelwool) though that will leave visible the worn spot in the paint.

So...in order of damage...
Wax/polish/light compound/heavier compound/recoat/repaint....

THE MOST IMPORTANT PRACTICE IS WASHING/CLEANING THE SURFACE REGULARLY....the more dust, sand, salt and dirt on the surface there acts to collect even MORE grit that will wear away the wax...requiring more repeated waxing...keep the wax clean and it will last longer, as will the finish...

Last edited:
Throw the polishing compound away or return it. That stuff should not even touch your paint. It is far too aggressive and will leave a lot of swirls on your paint, likely making it look worse than when you start if you're not experienced with using old school paste compounds.

Really you should get the clay, mail order if necessary. Ebay has tons of places that sell clay bars as little as $5 with free shipping. They ship from Hong Kong so it'll take a week or two but is well worth it to help make polishing and waxing that much more effective.

As for wax Meguiars is going to be the best out of all of those choices. If you can get NXT 2.0 wax you should be able to simply use that if all you want is to make it shine. Keep in mind it doesn't last too long and won't last as long as it could if you'd clay the surface to remove contaminants.

Last edited:
Okay this sounds like a good approach.

1) Keep the polishing compound aside.
2) Wax the car with the wax I have
3) Once i run out of that wax, buy a good Meguairs product
4) Whenever possible buy a claybar and then use it before next wax session.

Sounds good?

Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste Wax usage instructions - Shake well before using. Apply on a cool clean surface, not in direct sunlight. Apply a small amount of product onto a damp foam applicator or cloth and spread evenly on one section at a time. After drying to a haze, remove excess and buff lightly for maximum shine.

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dc4toCFGFI

My Question from the video
does the applicator at 45s have to be wet?
does the microfiber cloth at 1:22 have to be wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back