Reatta buff n' shine, first results

1000001469.jpg

Don't be too harsh, and keep in mind this car lived in California for 98% of it's life so the paint has seen better days. This is NOT meant to be a full fledged paint restoration, it's too far gone for that.

I spent about 20 minutes per panel using a medium pad on my polisher and Turtle Max rubbing compound. Following a hand buff, I threw on a layer of cheapo wax for a bit added protection.

I focused on the body only this afternoon, so look the other way on the dirty wheels and tires 😄

Call me a purist, but there was always something about the looks of those Buicks that kept me looking at them as they drove past…..GM did have some great Automotive designers back in the day.

Looks nice.

Can you post interior photo(s).

Reatta interior cleaning

Thanks for all the kind words guys! If the rest of the car wasn't in such good shape, I probably wouldn't be putting in so much effort. The way I'm seeing these cars appreciate in value all of a sudden makes me want to keep this one as nice as I possibly can.

Last edited:
View attachment 170002

Don't be too harsh, and keep in mind this car lived in California for 98% of it's life so the paint has seen better days. This is NOT meant to be a full fledged paint restoration, it's too far gone for that.

I spent about 20 minutes per panel using a medium pad on my polisher and Turtle Max rubbing compound. Following a hand buff, I threw on a layer of cheapo wax for a bit added protection.

I focused on the body only this afternoon, so look the other way on the dirty wheels and tires 😄
Paintwork looks great! Have you considered using a headlight restoration kit on that rear taillight panel to get it looking better? I had great results with the 3M Ultra kit on my headlights (15 years of neglect to like new). Mentions using on other plastic lenses right in the instructions. Like $15 from Amazon.

I'd imagine parts like that are hard to come by a nice like-new replacement for something so rare. I'd certainly try to restore, were it my project. :)

Paintwork looks great! Have you considered using a headlight restoration kit on that rear taillight panel to get it looking better? I had great results with the 3M Ultra kit on my headlights (15 years of neglect to like new). Mentions using on other plastic lenses right in the instructions. Like $15 from Amazon.

I'd imagine parts like that are hard to come by a nice like-new replacement for something so rare. I'd certainly try to restore, were it my project. :)

I've got updates on the rear taillight coming 😁

I've got updates on the rear taillight coming 😁
Nice! Amazing you were able to find them. I had a 72 Pinto wagon for awhile, and while they were produced in massive quantities, not many survived all the way to the 2010s, and fewer still in good condition, so I know the struggles of finding good replacements for a 'rare' car. Especially trim and interior pieces. You're probably better off having a car that wasn't a commodity car, the ones that were made and purchased were probably cherished from the start!

Looking forward to your future updates!

Back