More power with E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you realize Ford is comparing E-85 to 87 octane. What would the results be if Ford tested 93 octane vs 87? Even do a 91 octane test for the states where 93 isn't offered.
I bet there isn't any more power with E-85 on a naturally aspirated engine than 93 and maybe 91 octanes.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Hope you realize Ford is comparing E-85 to 87 octane. What would the results be if Ford tested 93 octane vs 87? Even do a 91 octane test for the states where 93 isn't offered.
I bet there isn't any more power with E-85 on a naturally aspirated engine than 93 and maybe 91 octanes.

Be careful betting too much moolah!

Octane requirement is radically platform dependent and can even vary from car to car depending on carbon build up and many other factors. Lots of cars can have very different compression due to cam timing and cylinder head design, it's not just forced induction that likes slow burn fuel!

If you can flow enough fuel and get the timing out far enough, as most cars injectors are too small and timing is fixed in a narrow rage, MANY naturally aspirated cars could have more power on E85.

I believe the O2 sensors pick up the lean condition that the E85 produces and adjusts fuel for max air/fuel mixture. The ECU is mapped for the rich/lean conditions and also adjusts timing to match fuel mapping.
It would be nice to have full 13 to 1, or higher, compression factory E85 fuel only engine.

Sounds logical enuff. Can't say without seeing the strategy. Since I have a nonflexfuel strategy I just change the gasoline values for the needed E85 numbers. The gas fuel tables will tolerate 30% E85 and you can change the O2 bias another 15% rich. You have to have at least 12:1 ratio or richer. A compression ratio of 13:1 would really wake up a motor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back