Camry SE I4 vs V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
i4 for more local driving, v6 for highway cruising...i4 gets better MPG in town, the difference is minimal on the highway...

Kitacam is an older model but doesn't float as others claim...maybe newer models do...maybe it's the tires...

Originally Posted By: smc733
Originally Posted By: Danno
FWIW, my 2013 Sonata 2.4L has plenty of go power. Unless it is a steep grade, it almost never downshifts on the highway on cruise at 65 mph. I never look back and say I should have got a V6 ....

Thanks, that's good to know. I appreciate the input from people with different but similar cars, and it seems like most people with a larger-displacement I4 is not left wanting for more.

It seems like the V6 option at this point is really just a superfluous luxury (which is great for those that can), but I think it seems like I'd be very happy with the I4.

I had the same dilemma when I bought my Legacy. I settled on the 2.5L 4 cylinder over the 3.6L 6 cylinder and I've been very happy. It's not a race car but for every day driving it's plenty. It may be a different story if you lived at high altitude but in Boston you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JethroBodine

In that set up you will get 2 mpg more with the I-4.

Huh? The EPA estimate shows +4 HWY, +5 CITY, but only +3 combined. Strange... I wonder what the highway RPM is for the 4 vs the 6.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I had a 2011 Camry with the 4 and was quite impressed with the engine. In fact, it remains one of the best engines I've owned. I prefer it to the GR-series V-6 by a wide margin. Every GR-series engine I've ridden with or driven sounds like it's lubricated with marbles. They are much quicker, obviously, but I'm not all that impressed with them. The AR-series 4-cylinders, on the other hand, really appealed to me. With the 6-speed automatic, it was more than adequate. I had the basic 169 hp version in my base model Camry. An SE comes with a 179 hp version of the 2AR-FE.

I think you'll find that engine exceedingly smooth and very personable. It had a nice growl for a 4-cylinder when pushed hard. I highly recommend it.

The GR is a nice engine, and IME, it is dead silent. I'm still petrified of costs of it needing something, and while I hate the nose-heaviness, I like how it firms up the handling.

Even the tiny 1.8L in my Corolla sounds nice compared to a lot of other small 4-cyls I've driven. I remember pushing the rental Camry I had hard, and even then I felt I would never really "need" that power, I just like the weightless pull of the V6.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
i4 for more local driving, v6 for highway cruising...i4 gets better MPG in town, the difference is minimal on the highway...

Kitacam is an older model but doesn't float as others claim...maybe newer models do...maybe it's the tires...

I do a lot of highway driving, though I can't always say it is at highway speeds (today's commute was 10mph the whole way). Would the I4 be sufficient for 60-70mph speeds?

The 3.5 V6 2GR-FE engine is a masterpiece. The power of this thing is just amazing. I have it in my RAV4 mostly for towing. Too much power in Camry IMHO, you will never use more than a fraction of it's capability in daily driving. They are (or used to be at least) more prone to fail and maintenance is very difficult due to space limitations under the hood.

2.5 I4 is more than enough in Camry. Stay away from the older 2.4 (oil burner).

Check out the new small overlap crash ratings of the Camry before making your final decision. I am from a Toyota family and was seriously considering a new Camry SE a few months back, but then saw how the Camry performed in the new test. I wanted a safe, reliable car as I drive my family around all the time. I went with the new Accord sport and love the car. No regrets.

No doubt the Camry is a solid car...just not when it smashes into something
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: RN89
Check out the new small overlap crash ratings of the Camry before making your final decision. I am from a Toyota family and was seriously considering a new Camry SE a few months back, but then saw how the Camry performed in the new test. I wanted a safe, reliable car as I drive my family around all the time. I went with the new Accord sport and love the car. No regrets.

No doubt the Camry is a solid car...just not when it smashes into something
smirk.gif

Its strange, though, that the Camry did extremely well in all other front-end, and side impact tests from NHTSA and IIHS. I think it is still a pretty safe car.

I'm honestly more worried about the CVT in the Accord. While I love the value/look of the sport, I'd go with the EX, because the 18" wheels are surely going to get damaged with low-profile tires on Boston roads.

I'm honestly more worried about the CVT in the Accord. While I love the value/look of the sport, I'd go with the EX, because the 18" wheels are surely going to get damaged with low-profile tires on Boston roads. [/quote]

Ah come on man, live life on the edge a little..go out and buy a new CVT with a new DI motor!! Lol

The I4 in my friend's 2012 Camry seems plenty powerful for what he uses it for. The great mpg is also a plus. The wheels on the V6 are pretty sweet though.

I do a lot of highway driving, though I can't always say it is at highway speeds (today's commute was 10mph the whole way). Would the I4 be sufficient for 60-70mph speeds?

I ran up I-95 a couple of times for 4 hours at a consistent 73-80mph (actual 70-77), once against thunderstorm heavy winds and I had NO problems with either side winds or head winds...and got 34.5mph on both occasions...really...no exaggeration...plenty of MPG and pep...

....around town the Kitacam's stick gives me more control over the power than an AT would, a serious advantage for a 4-banger...

Originally Posted By: MBS500
If you want something quick- don't get camry. Look for hot hatches. They can be fuel efficient and quick and very fun to drive. Focus ST,Abarth, WV GTI, MS3

The Camry v6 is faster than all of these and is in the same ballpark in fuel efficiency. Plus it won't have the insurance premiums of these hot hatches.

I read a lot of your topics, you really sound like you want some power. You constantly say how you don't need anything sporty or fast, but you seem very drawn into having a V6 for your midsize.

Not trying to knock you, just calling it as I see it.

Get a 2013 Chrysler 200 while you still can. The dealer near me is blowing them out at 15k with the V6. Lots of car for the $$$. That type of savings would help balance the fuel saved in going with a 4cyl. You would still stay on top in savings with the 200.

I agree with you that it's a very good looking car. I test drove one for fun and was very impressed with how well it was equipped for the price. I also was pretty blown away with how good the interior was compared to chryslers just a year older. $15k you just can't go wrong. Especially if you are trading in a 11' corolla. You'll get a good chunk for it.

Last edited:
Well,

I've been very happy with the I4 LE rental I have right now. I would really like an XLE with cloth + nav & convenience package.

I'd prefer not to have leather and heated seats, I mainly want a power driver's seat, alloys, backup cam and nav.

The I4 lacks that awesome pull of the V6, but its still plenty of pull, a huge improvement over my Corolla.

If you want something quick- don't get camry. Look for hot hatches. They can be fuel efficient and quick and very fun to drive. Focus ST,Abarth, WV GTI, MS3

I don't really want something quick. I want something comfortable, as I don't really have many opportunities or desires to go that fast. I just want something larger and more comfortable, but that can also accelerate onto the highway without pegging at 5k.

Camry 4 cyl!
Since you mention the Camry, this is the one to buy IMHO!
Smooth/quiet, good MPG, comfortable and a nice cruiser for the hiwy while being nice to drive around town as well.

If you step on the gas, she'll get up and go too! Just not a quickly as some other 4 bangers. But, none of the 4 bangers are slow today and many approach the 0-60 & 1/4 mile times or V6's of not long ago(I won't define, "not long ago").

Not long ago, a V6 Camry did 0-60 in 8.6 sec. The 4 cyl today is close to that now while being a larger/heavier car. And the SE suspension will give you that extra level of driving confidence
smile.gif

Last edited:
The I4 is a bit easier to work on, even with the plastic covers. A V6 Camry, even with all the mandated "controls" is not a car for a inexperienced driver in bad weather.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I don't really want something quick. I want something comfortable, as I don't really have many opportunities or desires to go that fast. I just want something larger and more comfortable, but that can also accelerate onto the highway without pegging at 5k.

Camry 4 cyl!
Since you mention the Camry, this is the one to buy IMHO!
Smooth/quiet, good MPG, comfortable and a nice cruiser for the hiwy while being nice to drive around town as well.

If you step on the gas, she'll get up and go too! Just not a quickly as some other 4 bangers. But, none of the 4 bangers are slow today and many approach the 0-60 & 1/4 mile times or V6's of not long ago(I won't define, "not long ago").

Not long ago, a V6 Camry did 0-60 in 8.6 sec. The 4 cyl today is close to that now while being a larger/heavier car. And the SE suspension will give you that extra level of driving confidence
smile.gif

This is some of my logic right here. I remember driving Camry V6s and similar V6 midsize cars from the early 2000s. The Camry I'm renting now accelerates just as well, but it doesn't hate that nose-heaviness (a good thing).

The car is also significantly more quiet on the highway than my Corolla, soaks up bumps with ease. It feels like pure luxury compared to what I'm driving now.

The get up and go from it allowed me to pass fairly easily at about 70 on 93 last night, and I can't believe that it was only at 1950RPMs in 6th, smooth and silent. Thanks for the input! I can't wait to get my car back and test drive a nice I4 SE to see how firm it feels with handling.

As for the post above, I definitely understand how the 2GR-FE is harder to work on, it definitely feels like it is crammed in the engine bay (the 2.5L I4 fits in there nicely, with a good amount of room). I'm curious, what makes the V6 car harder to handle in bad weather? I'm only 22, so I can't say I'm a super experienced driver, and we have our fair share of bad weather up here. I feel like the I4 is enough to resist wind (though the V6 feels more planted), so what about the car makes it difficult. I'm interested to hear!

Thanks again to all who replied.

Obviously you have not driven a Camry with the 3.5L V-6.

The V6 has enough torque to easily spin the front wheels in the wet or snow, not something an inexperienced driver should have to contend with. Traction control and stability control are nice, but not foolproof. V6 Camrys have come OEM with larger rims and wheels than the I4 version since the middle 90's at least, my experience with the later V6 is it could use more rubber than it has. Then again, we have several I4s and have upgraded the tires and rims to V6 size or better so perhaps I am a bit fussy. The I4 tends to understeer a bit less although the weight difference isn't substantial. I'm fussy, my I4 daily driver has Avalon brakes, 15x7 rims (wider than even the V6 of that year) a strut brace, and upgraded shocks. A relative drives a 2010 V6 with which I am familiar, it has more power than an elderly woman needs, and the throttle is a bit non-linear, however she takes it to Florida in the winter and doesn't drive in bad weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The V6 has enough torque to easily spin the front wheels in the wet or snow, not something an inexperienced driver should have to contend with. Traction control and stability control are nice, but not foolproof. V6 Camrys have come OEM with larger rims and wheels than the I4 version since the middle 90's at least, my experience with the later V6 is it could use more rubber than it has. Then again, we have several I4s and have upgraded the tires and rims to V6 size or better so perhaps I am a bit fussy. The I4 tends to understeer a bit less although the weight difference isn't substantial. I'm fussy, my I4 daily driver has Avalon brakes, 15x7 rims (wider than even the V6 of that year) a strut brace, and upgraded shocks. A relative drives a 2010 V6 with which I am familiar, it has more power than an elderly woman needs, and the throttle is a bit non-linear, however she takes it to Florida in the winter and doesn't drive in bad weather.
If it spins with traction on, would be a serious safety flaw. And I am sure a lot of money grabbers will go after Toyota. Where did you get that piece of info?

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If it spins with traction on, would be a serious safety flaw. And I am sure a lot of money grabbers will go after Toyota. Where did you get that piece of info?

Traction Control can't stop tires from spinning, it can only take power away once it detects slipping (which isn't instant). It seems sensible to me that the describe problem can still occur in a high-HP car with bad weather conditions, even with TC on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_A_G

The Camry v6 is faster than all of these and is in the same ballpark in fuel efficiency. Plus it won't have the insurance premiums of these hot hatches.

How much does it cost to insure a Camry?

"Faster" could mean a lot of things. A V-6 Camry might beat my stock GTI to 60 mph by .2 seconds, but take that same car to an autocross, track day, or curvy mountain back-road and "faster" is not the word I'd use to describe it.

Anyway, it's irrelevant. People don't buy Camrys because they want to go fast and hot hatch owners don't buy hot hatches because they intend to be a seriously legitimate threat at a drag strip.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: A_A_G

How much does it cost to insure a Camry?

"Faster" could mean a lot of things. A V-6 Camry might beat my stock GTI to 60 mph by .2 seconds, but take that same car to an autocross, track day, or curvy mountain back-road and "faster" is not the word I'd use to describe it.

Anyway, it's irrelevant. People don't buy Camrys because they want to go fast and hot hatch owners don't buy hot hatches because they intend to be a seriously legitimate threat at a drag strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back