First handgun chosen. Give me your two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I recommended a .357 revolver for several reasons (including reliability, manual of arms, .38 special practice loads and excellent ballistics) in my first response...but the OP wants a .45 auto.

In which case, the S&W 4506 is an excellent choice. I've spent quite a bit of time with the 3rd Gen S&W autos, including carrying the 5906 and they are simple to shoot, reliable and accurate.

Resurrecting this since I am now getting serious with CCW coming to Illinois late this year or early 2014. Anyone else care to provide feedback on the 4506?

I would also consider a .357 Magnum revolver as a second gun.

Did you end up buying the 4506? Or are you still considering it? I remain a fan of the S&W 3rd generation: reliable, strong, and accurate pistols, all of them.

If you're looking for a carry gun, the 4506 is big, heavy and hard to conceal. You might go with something like the new Glock 30S (in .45 ACP, not an easy shooter, but the slim frame makes carrying easier) or perhaps the Glock 23 (in .40 S&W and with a slightly larger frame, it's a much easier shooter).

If you're looking for defense, the 4506 is easy to shoot and very reliable, a great choice.

One key point: whatever gun you carry, you need to be familiar with it. Really familiar. It takes 2,000 to 3,000 repetitions to build a muscle memory of a skill. So, you carry a 4506, you need to practice the draw (moving from holster, to ready pistol, to safety off, sights on target, finger on trigger and squeeze) a couple thousand times so that if you ever really need it (when you're under pressure, and the adrenaline reduces your fine motor skills and brain function) you will be successful in using it.

A gun without a safety (e.g. Glock) is easier/simpler to employ from the holster. The "safety off" step is often forgotten in the heat of the moment....you should see the folks who carry an M-9 for a living forget that one at the range...it happens... If you practice enough, then no worries either way.

A few rounds at the range qualifies you to punch holes in paper under zero stress. If you're going to carry, you need the couple thousand practice draws and at least a thousand rounds at the range under timed/stress fire...

Last edited:
Nope, didn't buy anything yet. My plan is to do so by the end of the summer. Not sure if I would be carrying the 4506, but I do need to actually own my first gun and probably move up to CCW sometime thereafter.

I'd go with a full-size pistol...they are easier to shoot accurately (for me anyway) than a compact. Shot placement is the most important so get something you can fire accurately with. If you want to conceal and want compact at least get extended mags. I'd go with a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. If you want this gun for home defense a 9mm luger HP +P is an excellent man stopper round, 9mm is cheap(er) and some of the easiest ammo to find so you can practice.

Last edited:
As pointed out, the 4506 is big and heavy. Therefore much harder to carry. Much harder to carry = doesn't carry as much. Doesn't carry as much means when you need it...

But to just have a gun to shoot and occasionally carry, it's great. Built like a tank. As a first gun I'd recommend a 9mm. Cheapest to shoot. With high quality defensive ammo there isn't a great deal of difference in effectiveness between any of the service calibers. Extra practice > caliber selection.

If you are set on a .45, i would look at the MP45. Accurate, supported and holds more rounds than the 1911 or 4506. Lots of holsters and accessories for it.

if you qualify for the leo/mil discount, the pricing is even better.

For a home defense handgun, I vote for a revolver. I have voted 2x, for my wife and I. No manual of arms, won't fire w/o mag in, etc, etc. Pick up, aim, pull trigger. If bad guy is still coming, shoot again. If you really think about it, how much time does it take to come across a room if you're attacking? The amount of ammo in a mag is irrelevant after the third round. If the BG is still on his feet, you are now in a hand-to-hand fight.
To carry, it's a toss-up. I have a small 9mm auto and a .357 revolver. I consider 9mm to be the bottom of the stopping power heap. OTOH, how far away will you engage someone outside? Do you really think the local DA will buy self-defense @ 25yds? Me either. Again, just how many do you think you'll discharge? Are you going to stand there and do a mag change? Why? You should be shooting and moving AWAY!!
Lastly, I have Ruger hand-guns. Quality, top-notch engineering, and tough. As far as caliber, I feel that the .40 S&W is the way to go; second only to the .357.

As Zerosoma mentioned: check out a Beretta Px4 Compact and Subcompact. I would just caution you to practice and practice more because you don't want your PX4 to inadvertently be on safe and your pistol does not go bang when you want it to.

Stick w/ 9mm since it will be your 1st handgun. Another suggestion for an excellent 1st handgun that will fill your CCW needs for IL, check out an HK P2000 SK and you don't have to worry about any safeties.

A 1911 for a CCW needs plenty of practice and it isn't cheap unless you reload. Even Glocks can go bang when you don't want it to so perfect practice is key.

A great training aid for holstering/reholstering/sight picture/trigger squeeze/target acquisition and you don't need live ammo is the laserlyte laser training system.

Goodluck!

Now that CCW is an option in Illinois, you're going at this backwards.

If you are going to do ccw, you should first decide HOW you are going to carry, then once you have made that determination, you can decide WHAT you are going to carry.

As an example, for myself, the only practical way I can carry is in my pocket. That 4506 would be a non starter for me to carry. I go small and light (Tomcat, PPK-S, Sig 238, LCR, etc.).

I have no opinion on the 4506 or that series of gun - when I wanted a big, heavy, full size piece of DA/SA steel, I went with a CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical. It only goes up to .40, though.

Every gun has a purpose. A full size gun is great for the nightstand but terrible for concealed carry. A small concealable pistol is great for conceal carry but not as good as a full size pistol for the nightstand.

Decide what the gun is going to be used for, then go from there.

If you will actually be getting your concealed carry permit, then you will find that smaller, lighter guns actually get carried far more often then larger, heavier guns. And the point of concealed carry is to always have the gun, always, so you will want to find a lightweight smaller gun.

The Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Smith & Wesson 642, and Smith & Wesson Shield are all nice carry guns.

Don't waste your time on .40 SW or .45 ACP. Ammo is expensive and you will shoot less. The goal of a new shooter is to shoot MORE and to build your skills.

9mm defensive ammo has gotten so good lately that the larger calibers are only marginally better.

Bullet tech has come a long way, 9mm "weak stopping power" ended when Winchester Ranger SXT hit the market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Every gun has a purpose. A full size gun is great for the nightstand but terrible for concealed carry. A small concealable pistol is great for conceal carry but not as good as a full size pistol for the nightstand.

Decide what the gun is going to be used for, then go from there.

If you will actually be getting your concealed carry permit, then you will find that smaller, lighter guns actually get carried far more often then larger, heavier guns. And the point of concealed carry is to always have the gun, always, so you will want to find a lightweight smaller gun.

The Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Smith & Wesson 642, and Smith & Wesson Shield are all nice carry guns.

Don't waste your time on .40 SW or .45 ACP. Ammo is expensive and you will shoot less. The goal of a new shooter is to shoot MORE and to build your skills.

9mm defensive ammo has gotten so good lately that the larger calibers are only marginally better.

This is so true. A 9mm JHP will waste anything a fmj could do in a bigger caliber. Yes you could go for a 45 jhp, but really - how big is your BG and why would you spend $45 on 20 rounds of hand gun ammo?

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
What made you choose this particular pistol? Price? Brand? Made in USA? If I were looking at full size steel frame 45 pistols I'd have to look at 1911s.

BTW, Yaris, the 4506 is not a 1911, not close.

Hmm not only does it look shockingly similar to a 1911 its also in .45ACP, which was first developed for the 1911.... so is this a 1911? No. Is it pretty much a 1911? Ya. Is it as cool as a REAL 1911? Not so much.

Are you the guy who identified the navy yard shooter as using an ar15? After all 870s and. Ar15s are pretty much the same. Both hold more than one shell. Both have safeties. Both have firing pins....pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 95busa
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
What made you choose this particular pistol? Price? Brand? Made in USA? If I were looking at full size steel frame 45 pistols I'd have to look at 1911s.

BTW, Yaris, the 4506 is not a 1911, not close.

Hmm not only does it look shockingly similar to a 1911 its also in .45ACP, which was first developed for the 1911.... so is this a 1911? No. Is it pretty much a 1911? Ya. Is it as cool as a REAL 1911? Not so much.

Are you the guy who identified the navy yard shooter as using an ar15? After all 870s and. Ar15s are pretty much the same. Both hold more than one shell. Both have safeties. Both have firing pins....pretty much the same.

Naw. That guy would have called a 3rd gen Smith a Glock for sure.

Dparm,
Haven't read through all 6 pages but think I got the gist. I would recommend going to Article II(in Lombard!) and renting a few different pistols. It's something like $12 for the first and $6 afterwards. You have to buy ammo there, but it's not terribly priced.

Also, there are a few different trainers that hold classes there. Excel Training Group has been the one I have been attending. They have an IDPA practice every 2nd Tuesday and IDPA competition the 3rd Tues of every month. They also hold other classes such as an intro to firearms where you get to shoot a bunch of different ones and I believe they even provide holsters so you can see what it's like to draw.

Lastly, check out Illinois Carry about CCW classes and general IL CCW/fiream news and what's legal when and where.

PM me if you want some company at Article II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back