Here I am again!! 1997 7.3 PSD and very stoked!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah guys, it's me, after a short (or long) hiatus, whichever you think. I finally got back into the diesel world and have a truck that I plan on keeping for once. 1997 CC Dually with 180k on the clock and very clean. My first run of fluid is Delo 15w-40 with a Motorcraft Filter and I don't really see changing the formula, but just wanted to check in and say "'sup?" BTW, the filters on these trucks are huge!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 7.3 were bulletproof engines. Change the oil regularly, change the fuel filter regularly and buy diesel at a high volume station and that 7.3 will run another 180k. I worked for our local EMS department for 13 years and our fleet was entirely 7.3 IDI and Powerstrokes. The shop that serviced them ran QS 15w40 and Motorcraft filters on 6000 km OCI. These vehicles saw 60-80000 km per year of city, highway and lots of WOT driving. The idled a lot too. We had the odd injector issue with the Powerstroke versions and injector pump rebuilds on the IDIs but nothing else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Delo is a great oil. I'd use it if I could get it for the same price as rotella in 5 gallon pails

Try Maxim Trucking in Saskatoon. Maxim in Regina has good specials once in a while.

Stoked or stroked?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Congrats on the truck, one of my favorite Ford truck body styles.

Thanks! I love this old body style

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
The 7.3 were bulletproof engines. Change the oil regularly, change the fuel filter regularly and buy diesel at a high volume station and that 7.3 will run another 180k. I worked for our local EMS department for 13 years and our fleet was entirely 7.3 IDI and Powerstrokes. The shop that serviced them ran QS 15w40 and Motorcraft filters on 6000 km OCI. These vehicles saw 60-80000 km per year of city, highway and lots of WOT driving. The idled a lot too. We had the odd injector issue with the Powerstroke versions and injector pump rebuilds on the IDIs but nothing else.

This is good to hear. I keep hearing good things about this year and I feel pretty blessed. This truck runs really well. I think the Delo and the MC Filter will do it well. it keeps it simple and cheap for me. i can get it at any WalMart and the price is a dollar less per gallon than Rotella.

Mine has 200k on the clock. My bosses 1997 has 437k on it. Both are very strong runners. I put a cord in the box and four on the tandem trailer. Run seventy to seventy-five day in day out. I run 7.5k ocis in my psd. The boss runs 5k ocis.

Ken

I have mc oil and filter now. I have delo on my mind for the next oci. I am fond of delac because it is internatioal dealer service oil. I have trucking that run millions of miles on rotella. So pick one thats easy to get and cheaper. All are good.

Ken

The 7.3 PSD was possibly on a par with the 12V Cummins for the best LD diesel engine ever (although the 7.3 is somewhat harder to work on, IMO). We still have an '03 E-350 7.3 left, it's over 450K now-unfortunately the body is disintegrating around the trouble-free (so far) drivetrain.

Welcome back, By!

Yes, the old 7.3L PSD (non-intercooled back then) was a workhouse that (almost) never quits.

However, I'll note there is one typical issue that is known that can shut you down immediately without warning; the CMP (cam position sensor) can go out out. Most die-hard folks carry a spare in the glove compartment; about a 15 minute in-field exchange. When it dies, you're stranded until swithed out. Other than that, it will typically always run and get you home. You also might want to drain/flush/fill coolant and make 100% sure to use a coolant with SCA in it, or add some after the fact (depending upon your choice for coolant). The old 7.3L has issues with outer wall pitting from cavitation if the SCA is not added, and can get so bad as to pit all the way through the cylinder wall in extreme cases! I got this straight from a Navistar product engineer I spoke with back in 1999 while at Ford; the engine plant was right down the road from the Ford plant where I worked.

These are easily 500k+ engines if treated well. Partly because they are very robust in their general build, and also because (from late 1994-97) the power was good, but not overwhelming, and so they can sustain hundreds of thousands of miles. When folks "tune" them with really high-power situations, they can have issues.

I presume you have the E4OD tranny? Did you transfer the pan over?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JR
I have mc oil and filter now. I have delo on my mind for the next oci. I am fond of delac because it is internatioal dealer service oil. I have trucking that run millions of miles on rotella. So pick one thats easy to get and cheaper. All are good.

Ken

Man, this good to hear. I also read your previous about the mileage. I get even more stoked about owning this truck. It was great find for me and I feel truly blessed. I kept feeling a tiny bit doubtful just due to the nature of a V-8 diesel, but I keep getting reassurance that this particular motor was pretty much bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The 7.3 PSD was possibly on a par with the 12V Cummins for the best LD diesel engine ever (although the 7.3 is somewhat harder to work on, IMO). We still have an '03 E-350 7.3 left, it's over 450K now-unfortunately the body is disintegrating around the trouble-free (so far) drivetrain.

Again, just more confirmation. I think I have a good one!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Welcome back, By! Yes, the old 7.3L PSD (non-intercooled back then) was a workhouse that (almost) never quits.

However, I'll note there is one typical issue that is known that can shut you down immediately without warning; the CMP (cam position sensor) can go out out. Most die-hard folks carry a spare in the glove compartment; about a 15 minute in-field exchange. When it dies, you're stranded until swithed out. Other than that, it will typically always run and get you home. You also might want to drain/flush/fill coolant and make 100% sure to use a coolant with SCA in it, or add some after the fact (depending upon your choice for coolant). The old 7.3L has issues with outer wall pitting from cavitation if the SCA is not added, and can get so bad as to pit all the way through the cylinder wall in extreme cases! I got this straight from a Navistar product engineer I spoke with back in 1999 while at Ford; the engine plant was right down the road from the Ford plant where I worked.

These are easily 500k+ engines if treated well. Partly because they are very robust in their general build, and also because (from late 1994-97) the power was good, but not overwhelming, and so they can sustain hundreds of thousands of miles. When folks "tune" them with really high-power situations, they can have issues.

I presume you have the E4OD tranny? Did you transfer the pan over?

'suuup Dave! All of the above mentioned have been taken care of. I read about the cavitation on the Ford Truck forum and that is first thing I did. I did a full flush with Fleet Charge SCA Coolant from Napa. I saw some photos of the cavitation when it is serious....yikes!! I need to do a coolant filter as well, but I'll do it when I get more time this weekend or next. i need to get the parts too. I do have the E4OD. Unfortunately the pan was given to another person with the same tranny long ago. I wasn't sure I would ever have another Ford, so I passed on the generosity that was shown to me.

I also changed out the CPS a few days ago. It stalled on me going in reverse a few tmes, which is one of the tell tale signs, so I got one from an International dealer down the road from me. It solved the problem and runs a bit better. I put the old one in my toolbox along with another IPS just in case.

AFAIK, no tunes ever on this truck. It has had new injectors at 160k, a 3" downpipe, and 4" straight exhaust. I put a Riff Raff 6637 Intake kit on it, which is essentially a Donaldson filter and an aluminum pipe to attach to the intake tube with hose clamps. NO K&N!!

As you probably read, I just plan on running Delo for 7.5-10k intervals with an MC filter. Good to be back here. Hope all is well with you! How's the DMax doing?

Originally Posted By: Bambam
What up Byron !
laugh.gif

What up Bambam!! Life here is good. My cup runs over!!

Good to hear all is well!

You certainly have taken care of most all the issues.

Don't worry about the pan; pay it forward, so to speak! You can make your own drain hole for service with either one of these:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...6&ppt=C0377
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...8&ppt=C0142
I used the B&M style on my 1997 Taurus and it worked great for draining with no mess, and was easy to install. Not one drip in thousands upon thousands of miles.

One last thing to think about is the E40D. Banks (and some others) make a tranny controller that will control lock-up, so that the t/c, etc have a bit more life in them, as well as having more control in some events such as coasting downhill. It's not a necessity, but something that extends longevity of that family (E4OD; 4R100) of tranny.

Other than that, welcome back!

PS - my Dmax is fine; could it be any other way?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Just dumped my 5.7k ford oil and filter. Dumped in fresh traveller brand alll fleet sae30 diesel oil and mc filter. I have a 200watt 110volt katz brand magnet heater on the oil pan. I do moderate idle, stop and go time-time, and a fair amount of towing. I will run this fill 8-10k

Ken

Originally Posted By: JR
Just dumped my 5.7k ford oil and filter. Dumped in fresh traveller brand alll fleet sae30 diesel oil and mc filter. I have a 200watt 110volt katz brand magnet heater on the oil pan. I do moderate idle, stop and go time-time, and a fair amount of towing. I will run this fill 8-10k

Ken

Well ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back