BMW Drops OCI to 10,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868291

Quote:
BMW has changed its long time recommended oil change mileage intervals for all 2014 models and beyond. The changes apply to all vehicles produced from July 2013 on.

Previously, BMW recommended a 15,000 mile / 24 month Condition Based Service interval, but as of July 2013, the new basic interval will be every 10,000 miles / 12 months. This applies to both gasoline and diesel models.

The Z4 roadster, M5/M6 and ActiveHybrids have some special recommendations, which you can see in the announcement and charts below.

If you can't see the "charts below" they just show the 10,000 mike intervals for the different models - nothing exciting.

Last edited:
35.gif

This could be, in part, due to the wider use of turbos, but I think they are backtracking because 15K was a reach.

Not to sidetrack, but I hope BMW has fixed their cooling systems. I had to get rid of my E36 because it overheated three times in two years, and then the head gasket blew. Fantastic car, let down by a cooling system made from legos. I let it go because I can't trust the car, any time I take a trip I could get stranded.

Aren't all BMW's coming with turbo's & D.I. motors these days?

I knew a guy back in '07 who bought a new 328i that came with a Dealer Maintenance Pkg inclu. 10k oil change interval

Interesting that they recommend changing the transmission fluid in the Hybrid 3,5 and 7s at a 30k interval. Maybe they are finally going away from "Lifetime" transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: crw
This could be, in part, due to the wider use of turbos, but I think they are backtracking because 15K was a reach.

Not to sidetrack, but I hope BMW has fixed their cooling systems. I had to get rid of my E36 because it overheated three times in two years, and then the head gasket blew. Fantastic car, let down by a cooling system made from legos. I let it go because I can't trust the car, any time I take a trip I could get stranded.

I agree, I've always though that 15K was a stretch and at the very least lead to heavy varnish deposits.

P.S. - No problems with the cooling system on my E36 although the T-Stat sticks partially open the winter but I've found a semi convenient rad' blocking solution to that.

Originally Posted By: dparm
BMW also dropped the 10w60 oil requirement for the new M cars -- they can now use ACEA A3/B4.

Is that all M cars starting MY 2014? Any back-dating?

I'm ready to change oil in 550i, It had dealer oil/filter since last September and OLM says 900 miles left. It rack up hwy miles thought, trip to Canada and so on.
Waiting on filter to be delivered.

Don't forget that BMWs have historically had huge sumps and huge filters, so I don't think 15k was totally outrageous.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

BMW also dropped the 10w60 oil requirement for the new M cars -- they can now use ACEA A3/B4.

They're not backdating it.

I blame the 15,000 mile interval on my grandma's 2003 325i's issues with the camshaft actuator. Since I have been servicing it, I have been using PU at 10,000 and it seems to be helping with that issue.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I agree, I've always though that 15K was a stretch and at the very least lead to heavy varnish deposits.

P.S. - No problems with the cooling system on my E36 although the T-Stat sticks partially open the winter but I've found a semi convenient rad' blocking solution to that.

No MAJOR problems with my cooling system either. My OEM radiator started to leak a few years ago at one of the plastic end caps. I did have my water pump replaced with a metal impeller one as a safety measure.

They switch to the regular LL-01 oils for M cars when they switched from NA engines to the turbo M motors (X5 M, F10 M5 etc). The NA motors that spec'd the 10w-60 are still spec'd that oil.

Only time will tell with the plastics. But the new electric water pumps are failing quite early. E90post is littered with water pump failures. This past winter I changed a friend's electric water pump on his 2008 328xi with 58,000 miles. 4x the price of a belt driven pump and lasts 1/3 as long - super.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Soooo, the older BMW's still go 24mos/15k miles on the oil?

My 2011 has gotten a free dealer oil change every year, regardless of mileage. I only have 9000 miles on it, and it has gotten the changes anyway.

Originally Posted By: E365

Only time will tell with the plastics. But the new electric water pumps are failing quite early. E90post is littered with water pump failures. This past winter I changed a friend's electric water pump on his 2008 328xi with 58,000 miles. 4x the price of a belt driven pump and lasts 1/3 as long - super.

Ouch... They're still using plastics? I think "time will always tell" with plastics.

Well, as least I still have my 1975 2002. That one is solid.

Don't forget that BMWs have historically had huge sumps and huge filters, so I don't think 15k was totally outrageous.

I use an OCI of no more than 10k miles in my X3 2.5; UOAs of M1 0W-40, M1 TDT 5W-40, and T6 5W-40 consistently show the TBN to be below 1.0 by that mileage.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Soooo, the older BMW's still go 24mos/15k miles on the oil?

My 2011 has gotten a free dealer oil change every year, regardless of mileage. I only have 9000 miles on it, and it has gotten the changes anyway.

It's my understanding from my SA that the annual low mileage oil change will continue for "pre-2014" BMWs. So the 24k mi bit is a bit misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back