CD-2 Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
CD-2 along with KMART oil treatment and red bottle STP use to have a lot of ZDDP for a cheap price. This was a cheap fix for flat tappet camshafts using SM oils. BUT you have to trust the companies that market the products to keep the formulations the same. After research the only oil additive I trust to bring up ZDDP levels is RED LINE oil treatment (for break in). I think I will drop Turtle Wax a note. I have wrote to STP and their answer was written by an executive and was pretty slick (no pun intended). It said a lot of nothing.

Lucas makes a high ZDDP additive. According to lucas "Addition of 16 oz. to 4.5 quarts motor oil will achieve approximately 5,000 ppm of Zinc."

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display...B%20Zinc%20Plus

For my self, I trust the chemists at (Mobil, Ashland, Shell etc) to know what they are doing, and so I would just use high quality synthetic oil, and if I felt some need to fool around with it, maybe add some Lubro-moly MoS2 additive.

Originally Posted By: josie_wales
CD-2 along with KMART oil treatment and red bottle STP use to have a lot of ZDDP for a cheap price. This was a cheap fix for flat tappet camshafts using SM oils. BUT you have to trust the companies that market the products to keep the formulations the same. After research the only oil additive I trust to bring up ZDDP levels is RED LINE oil treatment (for break in). I think I will drop Turtle Wax a note. I have wrote to STP and their answer was written by an executive and was pretty slick (no pun intended). It said a lot of nothing.

I agree and if I wanted to boost ZDDP it would be with the Red Line add. You can call them and they will tell you how much to add to your oil, to get to the desired ZDDP level. One ounce per qt of oil gives you a nice boost. I'd call them and take all the guess work out.

I wrote to Red Line. They not only told me how much to use but sent me a CHART! There was no guess work. The chart gave the ratio of Red Line additive/qts. of oil. I wanted around 1200 ppm of ZDDP per guart and with the oil I used (YBP) I added 5.3 oz of the Red Line additive. So yes about 1oz. per quart. No slick willys at Red Line just straight shooters. Hmmmm I think I will buy more of there products,diffs are due for a change.

They make some good products, and were straight up with me. Not the typical condescending B-S I grew accustomed to hearing when I questioned the top dog in the oil industry. Wish I could get my hands on that chart. I'll have to call them if I remember.

The most benefit to using an entire 16oz bottle of CD-2 Oil Treatment (Gray bottle) is relieving oil usage not caused by exterior gasket leaks.

I've used this stuff for 3-4 years now and it really works. Upon oil drain, the reddish tint is indicative of alot of moly.... looks/feels eerily similar to the old VSOT (Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment) that alot of posters raved about.... myself included. VSOT is currently discontinued by Valvoline.

My most recent fix was on a 2001 Olds Alero 3.4. My daughter purchased it with 64K and it was using a full quart every 1K. The next three oil changes I used Pennzoil High Mileage oil with a bottle of CD-2 Oil Treatment. Each OCI saw less oil usage. Now at 80K using Pennzoil Platinum and I haven't added a drop of oil in 4K. I plan to change-out the oil at 6K.

Just remember this! The CD-2 yellow bottle is NOT the same stuff. All the national chain stores sell the yellow bottle. Very few sell the gray bottle tonic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Just remember this! The CD-2 yellow bottle is NOT the same stuff. All the national chain stores sell the yellow bottle. Very few sell the gray bottle tonic.

The gray bottle stuff actually seems MUCH thicker than VSOT, at laest going by the 'scientific' bottle shake method.
smile.gif

Can the CD2 oil additives be added to any synthetic?
Like Amsoil, Valvoline and Shell Rotella T6.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Can the CD2 oil additives be added to any synthetic?
Like Amsoil, Valvoline and Shell Rotella T6.
Thanks.

Yes - I use CD-2 with any conventional, blend or synthetic.

Hello,
Can anyone tell me where to purchase the CD2 Oil Treatment?
I am unable to find it for sale in any of the automotive stores.
Please let me know if there is a place to purchase it.
Thanks
70 Twister (Minnesota)

Hello,
Can anyone please tell if the CD2 Oil Treatment is still available to purchase in stores?
Thanks, 70 Twister Minnesota

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
Lucas makes a high ZDDP additive. According to lucas "Addition of 16 oz. to 4.5 quarts motor oil will achieve approximately 5,000 ppm of Zinc."

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display...B%20Zinc%20Plus

For my self, I trust the chemists at (Mobil, Ashland, Shell etc) to know what they are doing, and so I would just use high quality synthetic oil, and if I felt some need to fool around with it, maybe add some Lubro-moly MoS2 additive.

5000ppm of zddp is waaaaay too much and would be corrosive at that point if there wasn't something else added to combat the issue.
I don't even bother with zddp additives. Its cheap,and yesterday's tech. If I am going to add something its going to be a friction modifier,either mos2 of a polymer type add.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The most benefit to using an entire 16oz bottle of CD-2 Oil Treatment (Gray bottle) is relieving oil usage not caused by exterior gasket leaks.

I've used this stuff for 3-4 years now and it really works. Upon oil drain, the reddish tint is indicative of alot of moly.... looks/feels eerily similar to the old VSOT (Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment) that alot of posters raved about.... myself included. VSOT is currently discontinued by Valvoline.

My most recent fix was on a 2001 Olds Alero 3.4. My daughter purchased it with 64K and it was using a full quart every 1K. The next three oil changes I used Pennzoil High Mileage oil with a bottle of CD-2 Oil Treatment. Each OCI saw less oil usage. Now at 80K using Pennzoil Platinum and I haven't added a drop of oil in 4K. I plan to change-out the oil at 6K.

Right on. I'm all for stop leak adds but the only additives I buy are lubro-moly products,and good ole mmo.
Where are you getting the info that moly is red. The inorganic type(mos2) is black and the organic type is clear
But I'd like to read about red moly so if you could steer me in the right direction please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back