Rotella T6 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like several here, I am running T6 in my ATVs and lawn mower; My mower is a 1990 John Deer 318 with the Onan engine.

Since switching to T6 in my mower, the oil seems to stay clean longer; it doesn't turn black and thicken like the dino oil did, but one thing I have noticed is that the 318's oil consumption is up a bit. Do you think it's just coincidence? After all it is an old tractor or does the T6 have something to do with it?

No coincidence, the turning black and thickening you mention with prior oils was preventing consumption. The T6 being a thinner syn flows better, doesn't thicken, so now the engine can consume it. But I would hang in there and hope its a glazing issue that will go away over time.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
No coincidence, the turning black and thickening you mention with prior oils was preventing consumption. The T6 being a thinner syn flows better, doesn't thicken, so now the engine can consume it. But I would hang in there and hope its a glazing issue that will go away over time.

A thinner syn? Without knowing what oils and weights were use previously, you have no idea if T6 was more thin or not.

T6 is 5W40. Or that is all I can find. One might guess the OP was using 10W30 in his OPE.

I use Amsoil 4-Stroke. One thing about most OPE is its air cooled and thus its running temp will vary with the outside temp.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

A thinner syn? Without knowing what oils and weights were use previously, you have no idea if T6 was more thin or not.

OK. Assume you read the story too. Well, whats your comment to the OP?

I use that T6 in my Honda ATV too because it requires a wet clutch approved oil. I've never noticed it turning darker any quicker than say the Honda GN oil. I don't notice any consumption of the T6 in my ATV either. I just put a straight 30 in my lawn mower.

Last edited:
The dino oil that was previously used was a 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back