Heavily Modded Honda B18C-R engine Oil Pressure??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon me fellas if this is the wrong place, I just wanted some of the "gurus" to chime in..

I've finally gotten my deceased little brothers car up and running after 7 years and with it being quite warm I'm rather concerned with the oil pressure it is carrying hot..

I've built the motor with all new, OEM honda parts excluding the camshafts.

Sleeved B18C Block bored to 84.5mm
OEM P73 Honda Type R oil pump and pickup
New rod and main bearings clearanced by the book (.002-.0025 i believe without looking at notes)
OEM Forged Crankshaft
Forged Manley connecting rods
12.5:1 Compression
PR-3 VTEC cylinder head

I know the VTEC engines require higher than normal oil pressure. This motor only has about 500 miles on it, break-in oil was just changed to Shell Rotella 10-30. When HOT I'm seeing 60-68psi while cruising and at idle around 10-12psi... Doesn't that seem low? New Autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge with no sending units to question.

What do you guys think? Any Honda guys on here??

This little motor should be good for 9500rpm but I'm worried with oil pressure that low.

Caterham- Oil pressure at 4-5000rpm (highest i've taken it) max's out at 65-70psi

Not sure on the oil pump bypass.. I'll look that up.

The easiest way of determining your by-pass point is to rev' the engine with cold oil, and highest OP reading is the by-pass point. IIRC it's about 90 psi for most Hondas.

Since your engine is modified I think you could target 75-80 psi hot at 6,000 rpm.
I'd suggest trying M1 0W-40.

At oil temp 80C/176F, the specification is 10psi at idle and 50 psi at 3000rpm minimum.

Last edited:
Thank gents. I think I'm OK then. I do plan to try M1 0W40 in this thing once its broken in. Seems like a good candidate for it.

If you're spinning that thing 9500, I'd like to see at least 95 to 100 psi at that rpm. MY S2000 hits bypass at 100/105 and I only spin it to 8600 max. Most of the time I shift at 8400 rpm.

At 9500 rpm your piston speed could be at or maybe over the safe limit for piston speed.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back