Unhappy GM Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AC Delcos I used to buy were made by Hengst - the same company that makes the container it fits in.

And the OP's filter looks ancient. Mines used to come out looking brand new - although sometimes a little wavy the media was always a light brown, never black as tar.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It seems to be a common occurance with certain filters used on the Ecotecs. I'm not sure if it's because the filters are slightly too long and they crush or if the installation isn't perfect. My friend had something similar happen with his Equinox. I have often removed wavy (but not ripped) filters from my Ion.

I remove a wavy filter everytime I have changed the oil since I bought the Malibu. I install with a torque wrench to the proper settings and it still does it. No harm. Just use a quality filter and enjoy the vehicle.

I would show them the filter. Agree they aren't going to do anything huge. They might give you a couple free oil changes, if you would want them at this point. Cheap filters do exactly that, spin-on or cartridge, doesn't matter.
You can't over tighten on this type filter, cap stops your done tightening. I put some white grease on the centering pin to help it go into pilot hole. I wonder if some O-rings on the centering pin are too big and not letting filter go all the way in? Which would cause the filter media to squish and tear open?

I would start with the service manager, if they don't apologize and offer some compensation (likely free OC, you might ask for new filters instead), I would request the contact info for the regional rep and indicate you plan to file a formal complaint.

Last edited:
^^^What he said! I would take it to the dealer. I agree they might not do anything, but all parts have a warranty. If no harm has been done to the engine, at least, they should give you a new filter. You never know, that batch run could have other filters with similar problems. Another issue, too, since her dad has the warranty, you'd have this issue documented just in case there is engine damage down the road. Yea, I know there is no way to do an oil analysis at this point, but nevertheless, it's documented. The dealer might offer an oil analysis, but I doubt it.

Quote:
You people sure are brutal to the OP. I too would want to know why this happened........

Huh, what am I missing here. I don't think anyone was "brutal" to the OP. The OP asked a question and as far as I can tell to this point everyone has tried to help the OP, offered thoughts on what happened or may have happened, the possible result from it (minor) and how he might proceed.

Seems common thought says the filter is not ACDelco which raises red flags for the GM dealer. As to why, apparently some waves or crooked media on some ecotech filter installations is not uncommon. As for the hole, hard to say but combining a non perfect fit will less than AC Delco quality construction could be a factor. Combined that with the possibilty that the filter wasn't changed in last oc could cause be another factor. Also it's doubtful that any major damaged was done, but that seems secondary who makes the filter and where and when it was installed.

All that said though many posters tried to help, the OP hasn't returned to follow up with more information and comments to help find an answer. Perhaps it is the posters replying here that should take umbrage. Unfortunately it happens often.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Seems common thought says the filter is not ACDelco which raises red flags for the GM dealer.

In that case, we should be brutal to the dealer.
wink.gif

In reality, going to the dealer does not guarantee that OEM parts are being used. GM likes to market on behalf of its dealers that they'll be using OEM parts. Really, if one wants OEM parts, one should buy OEM parts and then install them oneself, but that's another thread altogether.

They may or may not do anything. Only way to find out is bring it to their attention. Show them the filter. See what happens if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back