anyone revive a dying fuel pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is my dad's 1989 Regal, about 140k miles. Book says spec is 40-47 psi. Fuel gauge reading like 5-12 psi. Obviously power lacking in acceleration and hard to start.

He isn't sure the repair is worth the money to him. He's just dumped a bottle of techron concentrate in the tank.

Is it worth trying a shock dose of MMO as well?

Or anything else you guys recommend to try and get the pump working again? I figure something that aggressively cleans and lubricates might help?

I'm pretty sure it's toast frankly. He's the kind of guy who would consider a $10 fix that buys him a couple months a good deal though.
smile.gif

Brian

I would first change the fuel filter to remove the possibility of clogging. About a $10, 10 minute fix and worth a try first.

In that case, a reman fuel pump is being called for.

There's no way to revive it for if an electrical fuel pump is worn, it is worn.

some cars you can get to the pump from the top. they have a cut out panel. so you might not have to drop the tank.

Not too hard but I'm busy and my dad is getting up there in years. You have to drain the tank, drop it down disconnecting everything, etc. etc. About $350 is what the quotes are.

Convinced that FUEL POWER kept mine running a few thousand miles (DODGE Ram truck) until could get it serviced. Was louder, at the end, than the exhaust system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back