DHCP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe what we have here is a TCP/IP address conflict.

Here is how to troubleshoot modem / router setups...

First, take the router out of the equation. Plug your computer into the Ethernet port on the back of the cable modem. Boot the computer, then see if you can connect to the internet. Log into the modem using Internet Explorer, and make sure your connected. Most modems are at http://192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.1

If you cannot connect to the modem, or do not know the password, call the provider of your internet services (cable / phone company) for help.

Next, unplug your computer from the cable modem and plug it into the router. Only connection should be computer - router, do not plug router into modem. Make sure you have the correct plug, we do not want the up-link plug (usually first one on the left, a different color, or off by itself), we want the down-link plug, the one that the computer would normally plug into.

Log into the router. For the older Linksys WRT-XXX routers, there was a default username and password, for the newer E-XXXX routers, its on either a sticker on the back or a piece of paper that came with the router.
Router address should be 192.168.1.1
(note that it is the same as the modem above, hence the conflict)
If you need help logging into the router, call the provider of the router, in this case Linksys.

First, change the routers address to 192.168.5.1.
Click on the "apply" button" (do so after each change, Linksys routers hate multiple changes)
When the router reboots, change the username and password. (optional)

Now plug the modem into the up-link port of the router.
You should have modem - router - computer...
And you should be able to connect to the internet....

Last edited:
Mattwithcats, you are confusing the names of the equipment. (see my previous posts in this thread) You cannot "web into" a modem. If you can, it is in fact a multifunction device of modem/router/firewall; many ISPs are providing those now. If that is the case, there is no need for an additional router inside one's home network, a hub (if even sold anymore) or switch is all that is necessary to hook up additional computers. If tries to stack two consumer grade routers in series, additional manual routes have to be set up for all functionality.

You debugging method is sound however, remove all equipment and see if the PC can attach to the net without the equipment that complicates the situation in between

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Mattwithcats, you are confusing the names of the equipment. (see my previous posts in this thread) You cannot "web into" a modem. If you can, it is in fact a multifunction device of modem/router/firewall; many ISPs are providing those now. If that is the case, there is no need for an additional router inside one's home network, a hub (if even sold anymore) or switch is all that is necessary to hook up additional computers. If tries to stack two consumer grade routers in series, additional manual routes have to be set up for all functionality.

You debugging method is sound however, remove all equipment and see if the PC can attach to the net without the equipment that complicates the situation in between

Actually, there are a few modems with web UI's, Alacatel, D-Link, Speedstream are ones I can think of immediately off the top of my head. There are no settings for NAT, DHCP...etc, but they allow you to set various xDSL parameters to work with different ISP's.

Haven't seen that; apologies to MWC; thanks. ok.

No problem
smile.gif

Note the IP address, 192.198.5.1 on the Linksys, and the DHCP setting.
It is passing out addresses to my computers / printers from 192.168.5.100 and up.

The Verizon modem is connected to 108.17.137.53, and because there are several television decoders connected to it, along with my Linksys router, Verizon modem with DHCP is passing addresses to them from 192.168.1.XXX
4q1x6u.jpg

Last edited:
The verizon device is a router with a built in modem. I am standing my original assertion.

I can barely read the screenshot; but how do devices from 192.168.1.x talk to 192.168.5.x range?

The fact that you reference IP functionality negates it from being solely a modem.

Last edited:
Note that both the Verizon modem and the Linksys router are very similar, both are Wireless "N", both support multiple devices, and DHCP, and I could hook a switch up to the Verizon modem.

However, security on the Verizon modem is terrible, really limited in choices and functionality...

The Linksys router provides another layer of security, and the upper level versions now support Quality of Service (acts as a traffic cop for certain types of Ethernet packets, slows them down so that other more important packets can get through,

For example movie downloads can have a lower priority than web surfing, web browsing stays fast, and your download will take up only what bandwidth that's left over...

Verizon modem sends 102.186.1.XXX DHCP address to the uplink port on the Linksys router, that becomes the address on that port in the Linksys router

This is why you cannot hook the computer up to this port, it would have no address because while the computer can provide an IP address for itself (static IP), it cannot provide one for the Linksys.

The Linksys box itself has an address of 192.198.5.1, and is passing out 192.168.5.XXX addresses, with the exception of my wireless printer, which had an issue of not renewing the same DHCP address each time.

Hence its IP address is reserved, and when Linksys sees this MAC address, it assigns the same IP address to it each time...

The verizon device is a router with a built in modem. I am standing my original assertion.

Here is the web GUI of my Linksys cable modem:

link_mdm.png

However, there are no user-modifiable settings in there, at least not in my case. It's all just read-only stuff.

This is consistent with what overkill posted.

Modem stands for MOdulate DEModulate. It deals with converting electrical signals that are understood on one medium (network cable) to a signal that can be transmitted on another (cable or DSL); that is the extent of a modem.

WRT to QPs screen shot, notice it deals with speeds, signal strength, frequency etc. There is no one mention of IP or anything "computer related"; it doesn't work @ that level. A web interface was probably added so enable technicians debugging signal strength issues which is prevalent on cable systems that have shared bandwidth and varying loads.

I am trying to clarify that the widely used term "modem" is being used incorrectly in this thread. Modems can be built into router/firewall devices (multifunction) but all the referenced functionality is that of the router, not the modem.

This is consistent with what overkill posted.

Modem stands for MOdulate DEModulate. It deals with converting electrical signals that are understood on one medium (network cable) to a signal that can be transmitted on another (cable or DSL); that is the extent of a modem.

WRT to QPs screen shot, notice it deals with speeds, signal strength, frequency etc. There is no one mention of IP or anything "computer related"; it doesn't work @ that level. A web interface was probably added so enable technicians debugging signal strength issues which is prevalent on cable systems that have shared bandwidth and varying loads.

I am trying to clarify that the widely used term "modem" is being used incorrectly in this thread. Modems can be built into router/firewall devices (multifunction) but all the referenced functionality is that of the router, not the modem.

Yup, I would say you've done a good job of summing it up
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I have experience at 110 baud, obviously not on the net, though.
wink.gif

My first was a 2400 in my 8088, surfed the primitive "EDU" internet through a dial-in VAX connection using Procomm Plus
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back