Car sales man, how much do they make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like anything else, depends upon what they're selling, what the gross margins are and how good they are at it.
If a guy develops a network of satisfied customers willing to send others his way, he can do pretty well.
I'd recommend two guys based upon past transactions, for example.
Some dealerships are a pleasure to deal with, while some aren't.
This attitude or vibe filters through the whole organization, from the dealer priciple down to the car jockeys.
There is one Ford store and one Honda store I'd happily return to and would recommend to anyone else.
There are other stores I'd not set foot in again, while there are others I'll not enter in the first place just based upon the nonsense I got from them when trying to nail down a price via email.
Too bad for the sales people who work for such stores.

The last dealership where I worked, there are about 2-3 salesmen that make good money. They have been there a long time and have many repeat customers who ask for them by name. This dealership also has about 5-6 other salesman, but those 5-6 are rookies who will work there a few months, find out that they really can't make it on commission and are soon gone, only to be replaced by someone else who thinks they can make it big, but soon find out that they can't.

From my brother in law who has done it 20years, 30k-180k however you work 11 hr days, lots of boredom and 6 days per week. I think he made the most in financing over sales of vehicles. Although he stated Ford was a huge money maker with people with not lots of bargaining intersting told spend a lot of money for their business/taxes by accountaints and dropping 45k-60k on a pickup truck.

He get a free car from dealer to use typically picks something family or fuel practical if possible as he has four kids.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
From my brother in law who has done it 20years, 30k-180k however you work 11 hr days, lots of boredom and 6 days per week. I think he made the most in financing over sales of vehicles. Although he stated Ford was a huge money maker with people with not lots of bargaining intersting told spend a lot of money for their business/taxes by accountaints and dropping 45k-60k on a pickup truck.

He get a free car from dealer to use typically picks something family or fuel practical if possible as he has four kids.

I was reading somewhere from someone that worked at a dealership - he made more of a "comission" on the financing of cars than the car itself.

Originally Posted By: jimmy87
So your bil works in the finance section?

I think his new deal is training/recruitment at massive dealership network. He gets a cut of his own salesman while in this program. Yes he has done financing in the past and done quite well.

He really has done everything including running an entire small dealership (Kia 6yrs ago).

Originally Posted By: Miller88
rjundi said:
I was reading somewhere from someone that worked at a dealership - he made more of a "comission" on the financing of cars than the car itself.

Extended warranties are sold with 100% profit at times. Financing they can legally here add 3% to your actual rate splitting 1.5% to dealer and 1.5% to bank of pure profit. Some folks have no insurance and that has 50% profit at least. It goes on and on. Yes he did very well.

His tip to me on bargaining a car is lead them to believe you are getting financing and warranty so they lower price. And then show up with a check from somewhere else and skip warranty and see if they bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back