What cars use 19mm lug wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Kira, I have the coolest lug wrench. I found it in a VERY new looking Volvo Crosscountry. It has a nylon sheathed prying end that will keep my wheels and center caps looking good. It is short at about 10" overall and fits my spare tire tool bag nicely. The gold colored plating is also cool. I also picked up a longer wrench from a blue Chevrolet something or other (four door sedan).

Together they ran me only $2.00
cool.gif

Volvolugwrench_zps0106528f.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Bring a pipe if you rely on the shorty.
laugh.gif

Its no shorter than the OE Nissan wrench, and I neversieze my lug nuts so they don't get rusted on.

Why are factory lug wrenches rarely bent at a 90 degree angle? I think my Accord and my current car are some of the few I have seen like that. The ones bent like above, IMO, make it harder to break a stubborn nut loose.

Torque effects aside, I have always put a little light machine oil on my lug threads when rotating the tires. I have NEVER had a stubborn lug nut as a result.

Usually because the lug nuts are recessed into the wheel when compared to the outer surface of the tire. When I use a regular breaker bar on my cars I generally have to use a short extension.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Why are factory lug wrenches rarely bent at a 90 degree angle? I think my Accord and my current car are some of the few I have seen like that. The ones bent like above, IMO, make it harder to break a stubborn nut loose.

Torque effects aside, I have always put a little light machine oil on my lug threads when rotating the tires. I have NEVER had a stubborn lug nut as a result.

If the portion of the wrench with the hex hole is long enough, that would be moot. I do know that some people, usually women, have to stand on the lug wrench and bounce to break the nuts loose. That is quite a bit more difficult with the 60 degree, or so, bent wrenches.

That's why I keep my "cross" type wrench in my car.

I bought a 21mm deep socket for my torque wrench as a solution for the more deeply recessed nuts on my Mazda. For the Honda I was able to use a standard 19mm socket.

Every car I've ever owned or worked on. Old VWs, '76 Plymouth Van, '84 Caravan, Toyotas, Saturns, Hondas, Fords, Chevys, etc.

If the portion of the wrench with the hex hole is long enough, that would be moot. I do know that some people, usually women, have to stand on the lug wrench and bounce to break the nuts loose. That is quite a bit more difficult with the 60 degree, or so, bent wrenches.

That's why I keep my "cross" type wrench in my car.

I bought a 21mm deep socket for my torque wrench as a solution for the more deeply recessed nuts on my Mazda. For the Honda I was able to use a standard 19mm socket.

This is a bit off-topic, but the 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv that I used to service (before it got traded-in) had the cheapest/lousiest feeling lug nuts I have ever handled.

Really? I have rotated my tires twice and they seem like regular, run-of-the-mill chromed lug nuts to me. If they felt chintzy I would have replaced them.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

This is a bit off-topic, but the 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv that I used to service (before it got traded-in) had the cheapest/lousiest feeling lug nuts I have ever handled.

Dodge chrome lug nuts that half twisted and got jammed in my socket indirectly broke my ankle and ended my tire busting career. (It was the pursuit of a punch to drive the stuck nut out that had me trip over my own feet.)

I later learned that blue point makes .5mm overisze sockets just for these stupid dodge nuts.

Really? I have rotated my tires twice and they seem like regular, run-of-the-mill chromed lug nuts to me. If they felt chintzy I would have replaced them.

I guess it's subjective, but compared to the Honda and Toyota lug nuts I'm used to handling, I thought the Mazda ones were super-chinzy. The lug nuts on my mother's 2010 Altima are borderline-chinzy, but the Mazda ones were like "woah."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back