Mobil Super 5000 vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Mobil 1 is synthetic but Mobil super isn't. How do these two compare I've seen some results with Mobil super stand up to pp.

Apples and oranges. Both are great oils. Use whatever meets the specs you need an oil to meet.

Originally Posted By: dslofti
I know Mobil 1 is synthetic but Mobil super isn't. How do these two compare I've seen some results with Mobil super stand up to pp.

I'm pretty sure the Mobil website compares their oils against each other,and can likely answer your questions before you ask them.
Now as far as Mobil super comparing to pp I'm sure at a 5000 mile interval there is little difference in wear,just like any other API approved oil. Extend the interval then have a look.
And if you are comparing uoa between the 2 you really haven't understood the point.
You can't compare uoa between the 2 oils. It's just not accurate enough to make any real comparisons.
To truly compare you have to use each oil,run them for a few hundred thousand miles,under identical load and conditions,then tear each engine apart and measure the differences.
So if you don't mind please post where these oils have been compared and under what kind of duty cycle. I'd love to see these results.
M1 and PP are on par,so I doubt very much that Mobil super is better than PP.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Define "better"; better than what?

MS5K has a significantly lower TBN and a significantly higher NOACK than PP so it seems to me it's unlikely to protect your engine as well over long OCIs.

But I agree with Clevy that both are likely to protect adequately over moderate OCIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kam327
MS5K has a significantly lower TBN and a significantly higher NOACK than PP so it seems to me it's unlikely to protect your engine as well over long OCIs.

But I agree with Clevy that both are likely to protect adequately over moderate OCIs.

+1 for bringing up TBN!
grin.gif

Actually wear numbers are not the key indicator(UOAs) of the quality of an oil. You see the differances in long term use. How clean the engine stays, how longer OCIs perform for your engine, how well the engine performs after several 100K. Stuff like that.

I'll take Mobil Super 5000 for regular service. It has sufficient detergency with great wear protection, TBN retention, and durability. At half the price of mobil 1, it is an awesome value.

Originally Posted By: salv
I'll take Mobil Super 5000 for regular service. It has sufficient detergency with great wear protection, TBN retention, and durability. At half the price of mobil 1, it is an awesome value.

+1...The only difference starts when you are gonna push longer drain intervals. MS5k appears to hold up to severe driving for 5k and if you drive mostly highway you could push it farther most likely. This is one of the best conventionals out IMO.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Better than Mobil super,at a longer drain interval. As I already stated I'm confident they both protect great at a standard 5000 or less mile interval.

2010_FX4, I thought you'd be all over this statement by now. But, let me provide the link to those who have not yet seen your thread about comparing UOA's of both MS5k and PU and going 10k OCI with MS5k.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=186056&Number=2800486

2010_FX4 might disagree with you, and has the data to back it up.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

2010_FX4 might disagree with you, and has the data to back it up.
wink.gif

I'm well aware of 2010_FX4's data. First of all he used PU not PP. Second of all, it proves my point. At an OCI of 7,305 PU had a TBN of 5.4. At a lower OCI of 6,480 MS5K's TBN was less than half that. Once MS5K wears out PU will keep on chugging for several thousand more miles.

Believe me, I'm a fan of shorter OCI's on dino oil and believe in the long run that provides more value. But we can't deny that synthetics will generally allow for longer runs.

I'm well aware of 2010_FX4's data. First of all he used PU not PP. Second of all, it proves my point. At an OCI of 7,305 PU had a TBN of 5.4. At a lower OCI of 6,480 MS5K's TBN was less than half that. Once MS5K wears out PU will keep on chugging for several thousand more miles.

Everything you said is true, but PU would have to run for double the MS5K OCI to break even on cost and you would have to perform a oil filter change in there somewhere (unless you use a higher end filter which increases the overall cost). Can PU last 20,000+ miles?

Everything you said is true, but PU would have to run for double the MS5K OCI to break even on cost and you would have to perform a oil filter change in there somewhere (unless you use a higher end filter which increases the overall cost). Can PU last 20,000+ miles?

I completely agree with you. All I said was PU would last several thousand more miles than MS5K, not that it would go double the miles, or even 50% more.

I think dinos have a lower overall cost per mile because synthetics' price premium does not correlate with an equal OCI premium. Exactly what you said.

See my recent thread on "TBN depletion" to see my argument, comparing MCSB to PU. Getting pounded on by the dino haters!
cry.gif

I completely agree with you. All I said was PU would last several thousand more miles than MS5K, not that it would go double the miles, or even 50% more.

I think dinos have a lower overall cost per mile because synthetics' price premium does not correlate with an equal OCI premium. Exactly what you said.

See my recent thread on "TBN depletion" to see my argument, comparing MCSB to PU. Getting pounded on by the dino haters!
cry.gif

I agree. I buy syn when its on sale. As a result I've likely got more than I will ever use however over the years a good conventional has proven to lead an engine to a long life.
If I had an engine that required a specific spec then I would of ourse find an oil that met that spec,however I don't,and the oil vie got is probably overkill in my applications.
But I'm an oil hoarder,yes I can admit it.

(unless you use a higher end filter which increases the overall cost)

What's a higher end filter change? MC filters (which previously were thought to be good for only 5k) are now good for 10k based on Ford's OLM. All for 3 bucks and change.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
(unless you use a higher end filter which increases the overall cost)

What's a higher end filter change? MC filters (which previously were thought to be good for only 5k) are now good for 10k based on Ford's OLM. All for 3 bucks and change.

But are they good for 15K or 20K? Doubtful, and this is what I meant by "using a higher end filter" which would be a Fram Ultra, Bosch D+, etc or else one would have to change the MC somewhere in the middle of the OC. I recently ran an FL-820s for 10K and there were indications on the ABDV that 10K was a reasonable limit.

Believe me, I'm a fan of shorter OCI's on dino oil and believe in the long run that provides more value. But we can't deny that synthetics will generally allow for longer runs.

Of course, but "longer" and how much longer is application dependent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back