Shelf life of propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another post about propane got me to thinking. I have four 20 lb propane bottles in my shop. The bottles are in good shape and all are filled. What happened was back in '04 when Florida was slammed with a series of hurricanes, I took all my bottles and had them filled "just in case" we lost power for a while, I would still be able to cook, heat or boil water, etc. These bottles have been sitting in my shop since 2004. My question is, does propane have a "shelf life"?

What gappened to me last year was that i believe you can use the propane still available in the tank but i think u wont be able to refill since its almost 10 years old. My propane tank was 10 years old since i got it back in 02. The propane company amerigas told me they sont be able to refill since the tank was due its age. Sounds crazy but thats what happened to me

If they won't fill your tank it is probably not due to age. Older tanks lack an OPD (overflow prevention device) and if yours is old enough to lack it the gas dealers are not allowed, legally, to fill them. You would either have to use a tank exchange or buy a new tank.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They changed the valves on the small tanks about 5 years ago or so.

So if I buy a new grill, can I still use these bottles? My old grill finally burned out and I have yet to buy a new one. (I ended up making a grill from an old 55 gallon barrel and usually use a little Kingsford with some pecan I cut from the pecan trees at my parents place).

I saved all the old "plumbing" from the old grill, so perhaps if I purchase a new grill, a temporary "retro-fit" might be in order till I use all the old gas.

I think it was the regulator that's different so the old plumbing should work. But will they or can they fill it now?

Propane does not have a shelf life - you could store those tanks for another 100 years, and assuming they don't leak and the valves still work, your great great grandchildren could use that propane to grill up some steaks in 2113.

Filling them is a different story. As another post already states, the newer tanks have overflow prevention devices. In addition, the tanks themselves have to be re-certified every so often (10 years or so I think) before they can be re-filled. However, you can exchange old empty cylinders for newer filled ones anytime - IIRC they don't care how old a tank is when you exchange it.

I worked for a propane outfit back around 2002. I was told by the district manager that propane was made in the 1920's and is stored in huge underground caverns in tx and that none has been made since. If that's true the propane we buy is already 90 yrs old.

Sounds kinda wild to me but I don't think he was pulling my leg.

They store nat gas around me underground in old sandstone domes. I was told propane is a byproduct of gasoline production.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Another post about propane got me to thinking. I have four 20 lb propane bottles in my shop. The bottles are in good shape and all are filled. What happened was back in '04 when Florida was slammed with a series of hurricanes, I took all my bottles and had them filled "just in case" we lost power for a while, I would still be able to cook, heat or boil water, etc. These bottles have been sitting in my shop since 2004. My question is, does propane have a "shelf life"?

It never goes bad. That is why its great for generators.

The overflow thing came out around y2k or before. If you have a triangular knob you're modern and good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back