by Doktor_Bert
15 minutes 0 seconds ago
Naked Eye Sunspot Visible
by sleddriver
24 minutes 24 seconds ago
Solar eclipse today
by Toy4x4
52 minutes 55 seconds ago
What mid 2000's crossover suv should I buy?
by 55Test
Today at 10:37 AM
Standardizing on 5W-30?
by Tony_Mack
Today at 10:36 AM
Does anyone make a quality battery anymore?
by jeepman3071
Today at 10:28 AM
Concrete patio pricing question.
by Vibe_2007
Today at 10:09 AM
Does a dirty air filter equal oil consumption?
by WobblyElvis
Today at 09:21 AM
Oil lab for analysis in canada
by Baveux
Today at 09:05 AM
Parking brake shoes
by ARB1977
Today at 06:09 AM
Thesis on lubricating oil systems -
by Shannow
Today at 06:07 AM
Oil change on oil burner
by Lubener
Today at 05:24 AM
Newest Members
340_Magnum, aselinger, extrabigjon, monron, Jschreffler81
51672 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (badtlc, 13Tacoma, bepperb, 123Saab, 12 invisible), 1851 Guests and 150 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51672 Members
64 Forums
221100 Topics
3495217 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#3010676 - 05/23/13 08:07 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Vikas]
Trav Offline

Loc: MA, Mittelfranken.de
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Cera-tec is the ultimate additive.
It works the same as mos2 however it uses nano particles of ceramic to create the barrier and the layer is so hard you need a belt sander to grind it off. I have 6 cans of it and will only use it in a newer engine because its so hard to find.
That is the greatest additive on earth. I love the stuff.
It's better than mos2 and lasts 10 times as long between treatments.

I am not sure if you are serious or playing a joke on us. Most of your replies have been logical and very helpful, so I am having hard time believing with this reply.

I would like to know why ceramic is better than micro particles of sand in the oil. How about crushed diamonds in the oil? Ceramic would be the last thing that I want in my oil.

It is actually "white graphite" AKA hexagonal boron nitride. Yes it is a lubricant and no i have no opinion. Google is your friend.

Quote:
Another high-temperature lubricant, hexagonal boron nitride, has the same molecular structure as graphite. It is sometimes called white graphite, due to its similar properties

#3010702 - 05/23/13 08:41 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Vikas]
demarpaint Offline

Loc: NY
I am asking some chemical hotshot to explain it me. I understand that at molecular structure, even though they are both carbon forms, I would not use crushed diamonds for lubrication instead of graphite.

In my mind, ceramic is more like crushed diamonds or crushed sand than graphite. Even the ceramic wiki page has no "lubrication" word in it.

I feel the same way about Titanium too.

Then by all means don't use it. I don't use it because I read it could foul plugs. Opinions vary as with all of these additives.

#3010832 - 05/23/13 10:43 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: demarpaint]
Sequoiasoon Offline

I have NO CLUE how the Ceratec or M02S performs but wanted to try some. I searched on Liqui-moly to see who carries it locally. All I know is I'm very interested in trying some of their OTHER PRODUCTS!

Edited by Sequoiasoon (05/23/13 10:44 AM)

#3010909 - 05/23/13 11:54 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
Vikas Offline

Loc: NorthEast
I use their MO2S product and I like it. I liked it even more when it was $4.00 :-) Now it costs $8 :-(

I can understand how that molly can be helpful in lubrication purposes.

#3010944 - 05/23/13 12:32 PM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Vikas]
demarpaint Offline

I use their MO2S product and I like it. I liked it even more when it was $4.00 :-) Now it costs $8 :-(

It is difficult to understand. If you have some time read up on the pros and cons of coating bullets and burnishing barrels with moly. From my own experiences barrels last longer, and clean up easier, you can also shoot more between cleanings. It is claimed moly reduces friction between the bullet and the barrel. Does this time into automotive applications would be the next logical question? I think a nice coat on engine bearings would be of some benefit. I also think it will fill tiny imperfections on cylinder walls if they are present.

#3011082 - 05/23/13 02:11 PM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
Vikas Offline

I said, technically I can understand molly can be helpful and my personal experience confirms that.

On the other hand, adding crushed diamonds or fine particles of titanium or micro particles of ceramics to my engine? I have hard time coming up with rational explanation as to how it would be beneficial. It does not matter that the company peddling this product is trustworthy or the person promoting this product has stellar reputation.

#3011113 - 05/23/13 02:43 PM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Vikas]
demarpaint Offline

I said, technically I can understand molly can be helpful and my personal experience confirms that.

On the other hand, adding crushed diamonds or fine particles of titanium or micro particles of ceramics to my engine? I have hard time coming up with rational explanation as to how it would be beneficial. It does not matter that the company peddling this product is trustworthy or the person promoting this product has stellar reputation.

Then we go back to don't use it.

#3011222 - 05/23/13 04:27 PM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: demarpaint]
dailydriver Offline

Loc: Bucks County, Pa.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It is difficult to understand. If you have some time read up on the pros and cons of coating bullets and burnishing barrels with moly. From my own experiences barrels last longer, and clean up easier, you can also shoot more between cleanings. It is claimed moly reduces friction between the bullet and the barrel. Does this time into automotive applications would be the next logical question? I think a nice coat on engine bearings would be of some benefit. I also think it will fill tiny imperfections on cylinder walls if they are present.

Most current aftermarket piston manufacturers put a moly coating, or patch on their piston skirts. I doubt they are doing this for the heck of it, or just for 'marketing purposes'. wink
Synpower 75W-140/4oz. XL-3
Red Line D4 in the T56

#3011322 - 05/23/13 05:44 PM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: dailydriver]
demarpaint Offline

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Most current aftermarket piston manufacturers put a moly coating, or patch on their piston skirts. I doubt they are doing this for the heck of it, or just for 'marketing purposes'. wink

thumbsup You don't have to sell me on it.

#3011747 - 05/24/13 05:17 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
SteveSRT8 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
As DD said, the coatings on pistons are just one example. Moly has been plated on piston rings as well for ages.

The fact that one does not understand the product takes nothing away from it. Nano tech is here to stay, and ordinary stuff can become remarkable at ultra small sizes...
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix

#3011802 - 05/24/13 07:29 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
Vikas Offline

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg why the heck are we discussing molly? there is no controversy about it.

this topic is about ceramics. have you used it in your engine? this goes both to Frank or Steve.

#3011821 - 05/24/13 07:47 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Vikas]
demarpaint Offline

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg why the heck are we discussing molly? there is no controversy about it.

this topic is about ceramics. have you used it in your engine? this goes both to Frank or Steve.

You mentioned moly I mentioned moly. You have a problem with Ceramics, I said don't use it. I stated why I don't use it, where's the problem? These topics drift, you've been here long enough to know that. smile

#3011880 - 05/24/13 08:40 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Vikas]
SteveSRT8 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida

No. I have not. I am rarely the first to try anything new.

As stated above, NANO TECH (which relates to the microscopic particles of anything in oils) is here to stay.

I agree it seems counter intuitive, but many things commonly thought to be understood have remarkably different characteristics under a certain size particle.

I would be willing to try almost anything with LM's name on it due to the high quality reputation they have worldwide.
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix

#3011919 - 05/24/13 09:11 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
MBS500 Offline

Loc: Crestwood,KY
Best way to know is to try same oil for same oci:plain oil,then oil+mos2,then oil+ceratech. I had tried both mos2 and ceratech. Not the same ooil but pretty same oci. Wear numbers were lowest with Ceratec on 1mz-fe which was abused by previouis owner. It was better,but not enough to pay extra $20. I may try later on cars in sig, maybe on those engines it will make more difference.

Edited by MBS500 (05/24/13 09:13 AM)

#3011939 - 05/24/13 09:26 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
147_Grain Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MBS500
I may try later on cars in sig, maybe on those engines it will make more difference.

I suspect that your Fiat Turbo will benefit from the Cera-Tec coating; putting it in the newer engines is best for longterm benefits. Have also had good results with the MoS2 in numerous vehicles over the years.
2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 ... 16 17 >