Liqui Moly Brake Anti-Squeal

Should I use Liqui Moly Brake Anti-Squeal for greasing caliper guiding pins?

Clearly its description mentions:
For the entire brake system at disk brake pads, studs, pins as well as contact points for drum brakes. Separating paste for centering rings on aluminum rims, connection points between rims and wheel hubs and other plugged and screwed connections.

On the other hand Liqui Moly has a dedicated Brake Pin grease.

If you watch this video by Liqui Moly:

you can see that they use the first one on the pads and the second one for the pins.

So what's the deal? Can the Anti-Squeal be used as a pin lubricant or not?

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
I've always been to taught that silicone rubber grease like SIL-Glyde is the only proper lubricant for slide pins.
EBC has this product called Caliper Lube which is copper colored, so I guess it contains copper. I have used it in the past without any issues, without any problems with the pins' rubber boots.

EBC has this product called Caliper Lube which is copper colored, so I guess it contains copper. I have used it in the past without any issues, without any problems with the pins' rubber boots.
That's fine. Glad it works for you. I just don't trust anything outside of silicone for slide pins. Tons of people use purple ceramic Permatex "without issue", but I've seen more seized pins using purple Permatex than any other product out there. I also don't trust EBC products in general, but that's off topic. No reason to deviate from silicone for me.

That's fine. Glad it works for you. I just don't trust anything outside of silicone for slide pins. Tons of people use purple ceramic Permatex "without issue", but I've seen more seized pins using purple Permatex than any other product out there. I also don't trust EBC products in general, but that's off topic. No reason to deviate from silicone for me.
The thing is that the manufacturer advertises it as appropriate for caliper pins. It was included in the box along EBC pads, so I decided to trust EBC and use it.

Liqui Moly is also a reputable company, so would they say that their anti-squeal product is also appropriate for pins if it actually isn't?

The thing is that the manufacturer advertises it as appropriate for caliper pins. It was included in the box along EBC pads, so I decided to trust EBC and use it.

Liqui Moly is also a reputable company, so would they say that their anti-squeal product is also appropriate for pins if it actually isn't?
Yes, they would. Permatex Ceramic Extreme is also advertised as being appropriate for caliper pins when there are many documented cases of it causing seized pins. There's a difference between advertisement and real-world application.

The Brake Anti-Squeal Paste looks like it may be a silicone ceramic, which is certainly an option for pins.

The Brake Pin Lube is stated to be a lithium soap thickened PAG, which is what many caliper manufacturers call for.

The caliper in the video was made by ATE, and ATE is adamant that the pins of their calipers are NOT to be lubed...

Seiken CF301 Rubber Grease is also likely a lithium soap thickened glycol or polyalkylene glycol (PAG).

What calipers are we talking about here, specifically?

I've always been to taught that silicone rubber grease like SIL-Glyde is the only proper lubricant for slide pins.

Despite the name Sil-Glyde is actually castor oil based, it only has a small amount of silicone oil in it.

The "proper" lubricant for any given caliper is not an easy thing to determine, there can easily be three different lubricants that could be considered "correct":

What the caliper manufacturer applied when it manufactured the caliper before delivering it to the automaker.

What the caliper manufacturer recommends / sells for aftermarket service.

And what the automaker recommends / sells for aftermarket service.

These are often wildly different products...

@X15
We are talking about Akebono calipers of a Mitsubishi Lancer. I often abuse the brakes on mountain roads. Mitsubishi recommends Niglube RX-2, which I don't think is available in Greece.

If you watch the Liqui Moly's video they use a ceramic based product for the hub before installing the rotor. That's the only place they use it. They use Anti-Squeal for the pads and the Brake Pin lube for the pins, but you say that ATE caliperpins should not get lubricated.

Also what about the lubricant's temperature range if the brakes get pushed to their limit?

Despite the name Sil-Glyde is actually castor oil based, it only has a small amount of silicone oil in it.

The "proper" lubricant for any given caliper is not an easy thing to determine, there can easily be three different lubricants that could be considered "correct":

What the caliper manufacturer applied when it manufactured the caliper before delivering it to the automaker.

What the caliper manufacturer recommends / sells for aftermarket service.

And what the automaker recommends / sells for aftermarket service.

These are often wildly different products...
I can't speak for what the manufacturer recommends because I do not work for the manufacturers nor can I speak to their engineers about why some documentation forbids lubrication on their pins when they come from the factory with lubrication. I can only speak from personal experience and servicing thousands of vehicles. SIL-Glyde or other similar silicone rubber grease is used exclusively for slide pins agnostic of caliper manufacturer in the shop I work in.

Yes, they would. Permatex Ceramic Extreme is also advertised as being appropriate for caliper pins when there are many documented cases of it causing seized pins. There's a difference between advertisement and real-world application.
What about the Permatex 80653 Silicone Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant?

I've always used wheel hub grease for caliper pins and left the pads dry. No rust where I live though so I don't need corrosion protection.

Companies are simply coming up with "specific" products that are all the same, just in a different color/packaging, trying to milk the customers/inexperienced mechanics.
I mean, four "different" products for a simple brake job :ROFLMAO:

Capture1.JPG

All of this nonsense stuff is easily replaced by silicone grease and anti seize.

@X15
We are talking about Akebono calipers of a Mitsubishi Lancer. I often abuse the brakes on mountain roads. Mitsubishi recommends Niglube RX-2, which I don't think is available in Greece.

If you watch the Liqui Moly's video they use a ceramic based product for the hub before installing the rotor. That's the only place they use it. They use Anti-Squeal for the pads and the Brake Pin lube for the pins, but you say that ATE caliperpins should not get lubricated.

Also what about the lubricant's temperature range if the brakes get pushed to their limit?

I still have yet to find out what the base oil is for Niglube RX-2, unfortunately.

The Brake Anti-Squeal Paste has ceramic particles in it as well, according to the product information sheet.

The lubricant is generally not the limiting factor for floating calipers, if you're routinely cooking the lubricant it's time to upgrade to fixed calipers at the minimum.

The lubricant is generally not the limiting factor for floating calipers, if you're routinely cooking the lubricant it's time to upgrade to fixed calipers at the minimum.
The high temperature ratings are borderline silly - brakes never get that hot during normal driving anyway.

Back