why such a $ difference Puro vs wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart buys in mind boggling bulk so they can sell for cheaper, Oriellys only sells them for cheap with oil deals.

WalMart is a prime example of how to efficiently run a business. When you get to their size, they dictate to the suppliers what they will pay, their suppliers do not dictate to WM how much they will sell it for.
Also, the WM trucks that go from the warehouses to the stores are packed completely full. The O'Reilly delivery trucks made a run every day whether the trucks are full or not.
One other thing. Both are good filters, but I'd consider the Wix to be of better quality. If you shop around, the Wix can be had for cheaper also.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
WalMart is a prime example of how to efficiently run a business. When you get to their size, they dictate to the suppliers what they will pay, their suppliers do not dictate to WM how much they will sell it for.
Also, the WM trucks that go from the warehouses to the stores are packed completely full. The O'Reilly delivery trucks made a run every day whether the trucks are full or not.
One other thing. Both are good filters, but I'd consider the Wix to be of better quality. If you shop around, the Wix can be had for cheaper also.

WM is also a prime example of how to steamroll smaller stores and not give a [censored] how their progress affects everyone around them. I know money is tight for many of us, but I still make every effort to patronize smaller locally owned/operated businesses. Anything to keep a dollar out of the hands of greedy [censored] such as WM, Lowes, etc.

Originally Posted By: Spyderman24_7

WM is also a prime example of how to steamroll smaller stores and not give a [censored] how their progress affects everyone around them. I know money is tight for many of us, but I still make every effort to patronize smaller locally owned/operated businesses. Anything to keep a dollar out of the hands of greedy [censored] such as WM, Lowes, etc.

Why should walmart care how other stores do?

They shouldn't care. BUT don't bully, sleep or lie your way to the top. They bullied WAY to much to get where they are. My Employer lied to me promising me X number of hours per week and a raise after 90 days etc... The also threatened to fire me if I shut the store down at 3pm because I had somewhere to be and was scheduled of at noon. "IF you don't stay and run the store, you will be fired". The other guy never showed up for his shift and could not be reached
This place sucks

DrDusty86 said:
BUT don't bully, sleep or lie your way to the top.

Dusty: Virtually everybody at the top (whether in politics, Hollywood, CEO's etc....) have done one of those 3 things to get there...

Back on topic: While Wix is probably (maybe) slightly better than a Purolator Classic, the PC is all most cars will ever need to last a long, long time...If I'm doing longer OCI's with synthetic I'd use a Pureone.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
They shouldn't care. BUT don't bully, sleep or lie your way to the top. They bullied WAY to much to get where they are. My Employer lied to me promising me X number of hours per week and a raise after 90 days etc... The also threatened to fire me if I shut the store down at 3pm because I had somewhere to be and was scheduled of at noon. "IF you don't stay and run the store, you will be fired". The other guy never showed up for his shift and could not be reached
This place sucks

You could always go live in Afghanistan if your anti-capitalism !!

It's difficult to compare one brand at WM to another brand at another chain. Usually WM sells anything for less than almost anyone else.

Walmart sells Purolator Classic at $3.xx, the same filter at Pep Boys is $4.xx.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Spyderman24_7

Why should walmart care how other stores do?
Exactly. He completely lost me with his statement. I don't care how WM treat it's employees, but hey no one is forcing them to work there.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It's difficult to compare one brand at WM to another brand at another chain. Usually WM sells anything for less than almost anyone else.

Walmart sells Purolator Classic at $3.xx, the same filter at Pep Boys is $4.xx.

Yeah I don't think Walmart's supposedly lower prices have much to do with it. You can get Purolators at various retailers for less than WIX filters. Maybe Purolator just has more market and more volume than WIX.

Big box stores can run better deals than parts houses. Wally world has bigger stores that can run lower profit margins. When it comes to filters and fluids I don't go to any parts places, unless its something special. Parts stores are for parts.

above posts seem to answer the question well, and with that I wanted to add; Go for the Puro P1 @ WM or the WIX they both seem to be better filters than the Puro-classic. I ALWAYS buy my oil @ WM but use promo codes @ AAP for the P1's.

The Wix oil filters should be compared to the PureOne, not the Puro Classic.

Second, nobody even sells Wix-branded filters, anyway. Napa carries Wix filters, but they are private label packaged with Napa's name on it. Regular Wix filters are sold as "Napa Gold."

You could compare the Purolator Classic to Napa's silver filters (made by Wix but to a slightly lower spec). For the month of April, Napa silver filters are in fact cheaper than Walmart's Puro Classic price (for most filters). $2.54 at Napa vs $3.27 at Walmart. Even the expensive Zetec oil filter is $3.18 at Napa right now (31315)

You know what I like the best about Walmart's oil filter pricing? THEY DON'T CHARGE EXTRA FOR THE CARTRIDGE FILTER USED ON THE ECOTCEC!!!!!!!!! (L15436) It is the same $3.27 as the regular spin-on oil filters.
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif
25.gif

Charging extra for a cartridge oil filter that costs *less* to make REALLY REALLY [censored] me off, and I don't even own a car with a cartridge oil filter!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
This place sucks

You could always go live in Afghanistan if your anti-capitalism !!

Agreed. Being a disgruntled retail employee is exactly the same as being a murderous Islamic extremist bent on the destruction of modern civilization.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Exactly. He completely lost me with his statement. I don't care how WM treat it's employees, but hey no one is forcing them to work there.

There probably isn't anywhere else to work since Wal-Mart ran all the other businesses out of town.

SInce the local Walmart opened a big food section the prices at the competition have, strangely, dropped. Could it be they were too high to begin with?

Purolator classics at wall mart here are significantly cheaper than at the Advance Auto. Again, Wal Mart just does capitalism better than many of its competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back