01 camaro ss t56 6 speed fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I've argued this before, and I'll argue it again. Synchromesh, while not a particular "brand" is a unique fluid that is not all-encompassing of MTFs designed for use in synchronized transmissions.

The term, "synchromesh fluid" IS all encompassing for any manual transmission with synchronizer assemblies and those that use the method of matching internal rpms with synchronizers.

Quote:
The Synchromesh name came out when that particular GM/Chrysler fluid requirement was established, and the fluids of the same name were introduced. MTFs which were designed for synchronized trannies existed before then, and afterwards. They did not just arbitrarily take the name of that specialized fluid, Synchromesh. You guys can choose to use it in that sense, to each their own.

Historically, the name "synchromesh" was used for a fluid specified for manual transmissions in which the synchronizers would allow gearing to mesh without much noise and without clashing. I'll check my References, but I believe the Delco division of GM was first to use the name "Synchromesh" and then Pennzoil used it later in their labelling.

I do know for sure that it was Texaco that developed and produced the Delco Synchromesh fluid according to GM's specification for their synchromesh transmisssions. GM's military vehicles in Artic regions were having shifting problems so Texaco used a base oil component of AB to help cold weather operation.

The Texaco fluid was a special blend of mineral and synthetic base oils with an additive package that included a special friction modifier for the synchronizer.

Quote:
Go to your local auto parts store, and ask for a quart or liter of Synchromesh, and see what they come back with. They'll likely either hand you a bottle of Pennzoil Synchromesh or tell you they don't have it, even though they have dozens of bottles of appropriate gear oil that would work fine in a Synchronized transmission.

Parts counter people have never been known to be Historians of, or even remotely experts in Lubrication.

Not all gear oils are designed for Manual Transmissions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the unnecessary reference to the meaning of Synchromesh, though I don't remember the function of a synchronized transmission ever coming into question in this thread.

What is in question, however, and we can debate this topic to no end, or just agree to disagree, is that "Synchromesh" refers to a specialized fluid that meets GM specification number 9985648, and Chrysler MS-9224. Synchromesh fluid is very different from GL-4 rated gear oils, ATF and other fluids that are safe for use in synchronized transmissions.

The history of the Synchromesh fluid, and the meaning or function of a "synchromesh" transmission are both moot points. Nobody called a transmission lube "Synchromesh" until that specific fluid was brought to the market, despite synchronized transmissions being around long before that time. If the word synchromesh has become used to describe any synchro-safe transmission fluid, it's only because people erroneously diluted that word, not aware that Synchromesh is a specific type of fluid.

Quote:
All fluids for use in a synchronized manual transmission can be properly called synchromesh fluids.

To each their own. I could call every bottle of motor oil on the planet "Heavy Duty Engine Oil" because I perceive modern oil's robustness as heavy duty. That doesn't make me correct, and my opinion at the end of the day is exactly that; an opinion! I'd just be adding confusion to something that has too much to begin with.

Quote:
Parts counter people have never been known to be Historians of, or even remotely experts in Lubrication.

The same can be said for those who mix transmission lubes in their garage and resell it on the internet.

Don't just use my parts counter people as an example. Type Synchromesh into your favorite search engine, then click "shopping" to see results. You'll get Synchromesh fluid and little else. How many examples do I need to give? They are endless.

Quote:
Thanks for the unnecessary reference to the meaning of Synchromesh, though I don't remember the function of a synchronized transmission ever coming into question in this thread.

What is in question, however, and we can debate this topic to no end, or just agree to disagree, is that "Synchromesh" refers to a specialized fluid that meets GM specification number 9985648, and Chrysler MS-9224. Synchromesh fluid is very different from GL-4 rated gear oils, ATF and other fluids that are safe for use in synchronized transmissions.

The history of the Synchromesh fluid, and the meaning or function of a "synchromesh" transmission are both moot points.

As Bror correctly stated, you have to be careful. Synchromesh with a capital S is used as a "branding" term in labeling, nothing more, nothing less.

The term "synchromesh" with small lower case "s" in it is a term referring to a particlar kind of transmission that has synchronizers in it so you cannot separate the fluid from the Mechanism, which is why it is NOT a moot point.

A synchromesh fluid refers to a fluid of any viscosity to be used in a manual transmission that has synchro assemblies.

The synchromesh fluids usually have these characteristics (all have to apply at once):

1. a lubricant using an AW PI additive package that provides a GL-4 protection rating (not all GL-4 gear oils are synchromesh fluids).
2. a lubricant that posesses a specialized friction modification component to assist in synchro engagement
3. a fluid that has all the above with a viscosity of from 4.5 cSt to 20 cSt.

Quote:
The same can be said for those who mix transmission lubes in their garage and resell it on the internet.

Who or what company does that?

Quote:
To each their own. I could call every bottle of motor oil on the planet "Heavy Duty Engine Oil" because I perceive modern oil's robustness as heavy duty. That doesn't make me correct,

And you would be not correct. Your perceptions would not agree with what most lubricant engineers and mechanics have agreed to as with respect to lubricant classifications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back