01 camaro ss t56 6 speed fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I purchased a 01 camaro SS with the T56 6 speed tranny. What fluid is best. All I can find after my research is that mobil 1 ATF or dexIII/mercon is preferred.

There are syncromesh fluids that are ATF-thin (cSt of less than 8.0). The newest Honda MTF II and Royal Purple Syncromax are two examples I know of.

They should give you similar performance (shift feel) as ATFs but their protection should be MUCH better as their add-pack will be more suitable for manual transmissions (usually GL-4).

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
There are syncromesh fluids that are ATF-thin (cSt of less than 8.0). The newest Honda MTF II and Royal Purple Syncromax are two examples I know of.

They should give you similar performance (shift feel) as ATFs but their protection should be MUCH better as their add-pack will be more suitable for manual transmissions (usually GL-4).

I agree with this advice. ATF was not chosen because of its lubricating properties, it was chosen because it's widely available, cheap and saves money on the assembly line. If it was designed for manual transmissions, it would have been called "Transmission Fluid," not (A)TF.

ATF came to be recommended for many manual transaxles in the early '90's when it was discovered that the thicker gear oils of the time were both unnecessarily thick and often contained sulfur compounds that were corrosive to the yellow metals found in synchronizers.

ATF was chosen in the absence of a proper substitute, not because it's a wonder-fluid. Eventually GM and Chrysler went on to establish and recommend a wonderful fluid called "Synchromesh" which was everything the manual transmission wanted, but couldn't get with regular ATF, and at a viscosity much thinner than gear oils.

Don't confuse Synchromesh with manual transmission fluid-- Many people make the mistake of labeling any MTF approved for use with Synchronizers (typically GL-4 rated gear lubes) as Synchromesh, when in fact Synchromesh should only be used to refer to light-weight synchro-safe lubes that are based on the original Synchromesh fluid.

Some products on the market today that are closely related to Synchromesh:

RP Synchromax
Pennzoil Synchromesh
GM (AC Delco?) Synchromesh
Amsoil MTF
others

Quote:
Don't confuse Synchromesh with manual transmission fluid-- Many people make the mistake of labeling any MTF approved for use with Synchronizers (typically GL-4 rated gear lubes) as Synchromesh, when in fact Synchromesh should only be used to refer to light-weight synchro-safe lubes that are based on the original Synchromesh fluid.

Some products on the market today that are closely related to Synchromesh:

RP Synchromax
Pennzoil Synchromesh
GM (AC Delco?) Synchromesh
Amsoil MTF
others

What Bror said is true.

An application specific manual transmisson lube (MTL) generally has a GL-4 protection rating for gear and bearings, and a specialized friction modifier component for synchronizer operation.

Today's synchromesh MTL's have a viscosity of anywhere from 6.1 to 20 cSt.

” Many people make the mistake of labeling any MTF approved for use with Synchronizers (typically GL-4 rated gear lubes) as Synchromesh, when in fact Synchromesh should only be used to refer to light-weight synchro-safe lubes that are based on the original Synchromesh fluid.”

I am not sure this is the case. Also, be sure to watch your capitalization … especially on this topic. “Syncromesh” would imply a particular brand (perhaps like GM, Chrysler or Pennzoil) … while syncromesh (especially as I used it) would refer to an entire class of fluids designed to be used with synchronized manual transmissions.

Nice to see you still check in here MolaKule!
smile.gif

For those that don’t know, MolaKule’s previous business Speciality Formulations made a full line of excellent syncromesh fluids from ATF-thin fluids all the way up to 90 weight oils. A total of 4 grades, I believe. I don’t think any other company has ever made that variety of fluids for manual transmissions.

I have had three LS1/T56 cars. The first one went 156,000 miles without a fluid change. Don't nuke this out. Put the dang ATF in it.

Don't nuke this out meaning...The Navy has a bunch of nuclear trained sailors. When someone makes something harder than it has to be we say. "Don't nuke it out."

RP Synchromax, Honda MTII, the Ford dry clutch DCT fluid, some of the Pentosin fluids all have much better anti-wear additive packages than do any ATF, and are within the same viscosity requirement.

Last edited:
Quote:
Nice to see you still check in here MolaKule!

Thanks Bror, never checked out.
banana2.gif

Been here since two-doubleought-2. For those in Loma Linda, that is the year 2002.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
For those that don’t know, MolaKule’s previous business Speciality Formulations made a full line of excellent syncromesh fluids from ATF-thin fluids all the way up to 90 weight oils. A total of 4 grades, I believe. I don’t think any other company has ever made that variety of fluids for manual transmissions.

Yes, and I could only wish that he still had that company and was still producing those insanely GREAT products.
frown.gif

I am not sure this is the case. Also, be sure to watch your capitalization … especially on this topic. “Syncromesh” would imply a particular brand (perhaps like GM, Chrysler or Pennzoil) … while syncromesh (especially as I used it) would refer to an entire class of fluids designed to be used with synchronized manual transmissions.

I've argued this before, and I'll argue it again. Synchromesh, while not a particular "brand" is a unique fluid that is not all-encompassing of MTFs designed for use in synchronized transmissions.

The Synchromesh name came out when that particular GM/Chrysler fluid requirement was established, and the fluids of the same name were introduced. MTFs which were designed for synchronized trannies existed before then, and afterwards. They did not just arbitrarily take the name of that specialized fluid, Synchromesh. You guys can choose to use it in that sense, to each their own.

Go to your local auto parts store, and ask for a quart or liter of Synchromesh, and see what they come back with. They'll likely either hand you a bottle of Pennzoil Synchromesh or tell you they don't have it, even though they have dozens of bottles of appropriate gear oil that would work fine in a Synchronized transmission.

In short:

Synchromesh = Synchromesh
Manual Transmission Fluid safe for synchros = MTF, *not* Synchromesh (two completely different animals)

IMO, people have just gotten lazy, and since Synchromesh availability & popularity has declined (modern transmissions no longer list it as a requirement), it's been easy to associate synchro-safe fluids with that name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back