Mobil delvac ESP in a gas engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As I was trying to point out earlier, lower ppm just means the add pack as a whole is smaller, but the VOA does not tell us anything about the quality of this add pack.

Absolutely. That makes it much clearer for other readers. You and I know the nuances between older and newer diesel specifications and the Euro ones. New readers might not. We've read the debates about CJ-4 being "inferior" to older specs because of weaker add packs, which of course ignores the vast improvement in North American diesel and the changes in emissions systems over the past number of years. The desire/need for high SAPS and ridiculously high TBN just isn't there for applications with modern emissions equipment.

And like Doug says, M1 0w-40 is a very formidable product. If one wants to be totally picky about specifications, they're not completely interchangeable. Nonethless, Delvac 1 is a very good choice for plenty of gasoline engines out there. Nothing "worked" as well in the Audi 200. 15w-40 wasn't suitable for winter. A 5w-30 winter fill was drunk like water, and GC only showed a marginal consumption improvement. RP 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 weren't as cost effective (most notably because M1 wasn't on rollback when I needed oil). And the higher zinc content of Delvac 1 is desirable in some applications.

I'd use it in the old F-150, but certainly not until I'm convinced that the fuel dilution issues are gone and I'm not saddled with OCIs that would make me cringe if using a synthetic.

Of course, to give XOM a jab in the ribs here, it doesn't help that they use the ESP designation for a variety of oils. Even looking solely at the HDEO ESP line, their 0w-40 and 5w-40 aren't completely interchangeable. The former's TBN is significantly lower, falling well below the ACEA E7 minimums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back