10w-30 vs SAE 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys.

These are recommended viscosities for Kia pride.

Why is that 10w-30 can be run up to 30c but SAE30 monograde can be run up to 40c?

Thanks.

Please excuse my poor English.

Last edited:
SAE 30 is more shear stable than 10w-30. The SAE 30 does not have any viscosity index improvers, the 10w-30 does.

I am running straight 30 right now, no issues at all. My truck does not seem to know the difference. I think that Kia chart is correct, above 35-40 (or 5C) degrees straight 30 is fine.

It seems especially suitable for long runs at interstate speeds, due to shear resistance, like rh439 alluded to.

well, some synthetic oils are 10-30 to begin with, no need for VIIs at all.
Simpler 10w30 may have VIIs, but that should not be a problem anymore.

The SAE 30 may be too thick at low temps so the 10w can be run at lower temps. Its not and "UP TO" Y temp thing, its a "below" X temp thing. I think the sae 30 should be fine seasonally over 80 deg F. I dont know what a kia pride is. If its a light passenger car a good 10w30 will be entirely adequate; but running an overladen 4cyl gas medium duty truck running in sweltering temps a HD30 would be preferable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The SAE 30 may be too thick at low temps... I think the sae 30 should be fine seasonally over 80 deg F.

So 75 would be a "low temp"?

Many charts show 30wt. is acceptable down to either 40 or 32 degrees, depending on the vehicle. They all show 40 and up is OK.

The SAE 30 may be too thick at low temps so the 10w can be run at lower temps. Its not and "UP TO" Y temp thing, its a "below" X temp thing. I think the sae 30 should be fine seasonally over 80 deg F. I dont know what a kia pride is. If its a light passenger car a good 10w30 will be entirely adequate; but running an overladen 4cyl gas medium duty truck running in sweltering temps a HD30 would be preferable.
As many have pointed out, auto engines have thermostats, and cooling systems which keep the OPERATING temps pretty constant. It's in cold engine starting performance which a single gtrade like 30 might cause problems. You're not going to solve an "overworked 4 cyl at highway speed" heat problem with OIL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
The SAE 30 may be too thick at low temps... I think the sae 30 should be fine seasonally over 80 deg F.

Many charts show 30wt. is acceptable down to either 40 or 32 degrees, depending on the vehicle. They all show 40 and up is OK.

The specs on my Delo SAE30 make it look more like a 15W30 or 20w30. I've used it as a 3 season oil and have had no issues at all. I remember a few years ago in one of these thick/thin oil threads where BuickGN and I started our vehicles with SAE30 and 20W50 when it was cold. My kid started one of our Jeep 4.0L’s with Delo SAE30 at 20-something degrees F and oil flowed immediately from the rockers. No jello or slime mind you, it was good flow. Scientific – no, but IMO SAE30 is not going to cause any issues at all (besides a fuel penalty for drag), safely down to 32*F.

Thank you so much all you guys.
This is kia pride:
http://www.saipacorp.com/portal/Home/Default.aspx?CategoryID=741afb99-093d-4915-a9d5-0ed581110f4c

It's a car from 80s that has been manufactured by Saipa company in Iran for about 13 years with better options. The company first recommended oil is 20w-50, the picture I posted is from 80s user manual and is still being used by Iranian company.

I don't think I can find SAE 30 nor 10w-30, but 5w-30 or 5w-40 are available (only synthetic), but I'm afraid 5w is too thin for this car with mostly 80s technology in current temp 22c 77f so maybe I should stick to 10w-40.

Thank you.
Those viscosities were recommended from Kia in mid late 80s and after about 27 years they are still recommended. The car has not changed that much, but oils have changed ( I assume).

I mean what will happen if I go from 20w-50 mineral SG to a better and thinner oil like Castrol magnatec 5w-30 synthetic SM in my Kia Pride 2005?

In the old manual 5w-30 is recommended for below 0c 32f.
The first oil recomendation from Castrol is 5w-40 edge.
In Tehran temperature rarely goes beyond 40c 104f.

Interesting. Based on that chart I would happily run that Kia on 10w-40 (or 10w-50) anywhere in this country - all year round. That grade is exactly what I'd expect to use on most cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

The specs on my Delo SAE30 make it look more like a 15W30 or 20w30. I've used it as a 3 season oil and have had no issues at all. I remember a few years ago in one of these thick/thin oil threads where BuickGN and I started our vehicles with SAE30 and 20W50 when it was cold. My kid started one of our Jeep 4.0L’s with Delo SAE30 at 20-something degrees F and oil flowed immediately from the rockers. No jello or slime mind you, it was good flow. Scientific – no, but IMO SAE30 is not going to cause any issues at all (besides a fuel penalty for drag), safely down to 32*F.

Wouldn't a straight grade 30 be considered a 30w-30. How exactly do the specs make it a 15w or 20w.
I'm not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely interested on why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back