S2000 valve adjustment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My S2000 has about 72k Miles on it. a honda dealer near me says it shouldn't need and adjustment until 90-100k miles.

what are your guys thoughts/ experiences? should i go ahead and have the valves adjusted at like 75k miles?

I've always been under the impression that high rpms and cold starts changes the valve adjustments; therefore, if you drive your S2000 like you stole it or do a lot of cold starts, it may be time to adjust your valves even though the normal mileage does not dictate it.

In reality: cam lobe wear, minute erosion between the exhaust valves and seats will cause tightening of valve lash over time.

Too tight of valve lash will affect the longevity of the exhaust valves, causing them to "burn" due to insufficient contact time for seat-to-valve cooling cycles.

Adjust those valve lashes right away if I were you.

Q.

If you don't track your S2000, there is no reason to hurry up, you can do it at 80-90k miles if there is no abnormal engine behavior.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i will get on it ASAP. i probably cannot get around to it for a week or 2. it should be ok for another 1k miles or so i assume??

Well, since you posted this...

My S2000 has about 72k Miles on it. a honda dealer near me says it shouldn't need and adjustment until 90-100k miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you don't track your S2000, there is no reason to hurry up, you can do it at 80-90k miles if there is no abnormal engine behavior.

i have never tracked it. the previous owner was a man in his 60's but i dont know how he drove it. i just have service records for M1 from 1500 miles to 65k.

engine performance seems great. i just noticed you can hear the valvetrain a little when your in a drive-thru or park beside something with the windows down. if you walk in front of the nose of the car it's very quiet,but if you stand at either side you can hear the valvetrain some. the exhaust side naturally being more pronounced. its not really loud, but you can hear the valvetrain. this is the only S ive been around ever so i really dont have another S to compare its sound too.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
i will get on it ASAP. i probably cannot get around to it for a week or 2. it should be ok for another 1k miles or so i assume??

Well, since you posted this...

i realize that i was just looking at input from S2k owners. the guy at the shop said they have only done a handful of S2k valve adjustments. they are not common at all here in southern Indiana. the nature of the engine is a little more radical that the large volume of Accords and civics that are typically taken into this dealer for adjustments. I'm sure this tech is and excellent mechanic, however if he doesn't work on a large volume of S2k's he may not have the insight that some of the owners of S2k's here have.

I had them adjusted every 30k on both of my Hondas. Did not trust that interval since I drove those cars to their 8000+ redlines on a daily basis.

I know its blurry, but this is my daily driver at 214,574 miles when I did a timing belt. I am the origianl owner, solid shim in bucket lifters still in tolerance, never adjusted. This car sees a few autocross races a year too. This is a 2001 Protege with FS engine, which is comparing apples to oranges, but .......................

100_6201_zps3e4ba47e.jpg

100_6197_zps39ddb73d.jpg

I would bet you are okay for 100K. Check clearances before you buy stuff.
I tore into an S2000 at 100K that was in spec. I know those are some high revving engines though. How you drive it depends on a lot as others have said.

I have adjusted Civics' at 50K that were too tight and could therefore burn the valves and never make any valve lash noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back