Bosch D+ 3312 Cut open, ~14k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used this on my 95 Civic mostly with Maxlife NG oil. I tend to do 2 or 3 oil changes while retaining the filter.

BoschDP002_zps4e665303.jpg

BoschDP003_zps153113e5.jpg

No breaks in the media, very thick and sturdy stuff. Difficult to cut through too. When stretched out I measured 46" of total media length:

BoschDP006_zps0e8cf0c0.jpg

Anti-drain back is still nice and flexible, nothing wrong with it:

BoschDP004_zps4578eb00.jpg

BoschDP005_zps0d8321ba.jpg

This makes me feel comfortable running this filter to 15k or beyond.

I absolutely love these filters, Champ (Mobil/K&N) are nice but they dont have the added media that the D Plus has. Great filtering efficiency for that filter as well, I had supposedly only had 1 particle over 20microns (D3323) in my UOA a while back.

Last edited:
Does it look used up? I admit I'm not quite sure how to tell.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Used this on my 95 Civic mostly with Maxlife NG oil. I tend to do 2 or 3 oil changes while retaining the filter.

Where's BlueOvalFitter when you need him????
laugh.gif

That is great to see! Thank you for posting a Bosch D+ used for 3 oil changes. I bet that your filter, with trapped dirt, filters much better with more resistance in the media from the 3 prior changes of oil....only.

For Mobil 1, K&N, Bosch D+ oil filters, I usually run for 2 OCI's. From what you show......these filters can easily go well over 15K on a clean, sludge free engine.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
So much for the theory that a D+ can only go 3000 miles!

lol.gif
Gotta love those 'experts' working the Bosch Hotline/PRO, they really know their stuff.
whistle.gif
At least we now have the thread with the ultimate accurate answer for someone with product and warranty expertise.

I ran a BD+ 3323 almost as long over two oci's shown in this thread. It seems that AAP has now dropped the BD+ in favor of the Ultra.

Looks like your D3312 held up well. Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

laugh.gif

He probably had a seizure when he read the 2nd sentence (in red).
lol.gif

BoschDP004_zps4578eb00.jpg

How long are your OCIs? In the photo above, it looks like there is quite a bit of carbon crud/residue in the filter. How clean is the top end in this engine (ie, looking down in to the oil filler cap).

That's a good point, there did seem to be some crud in there, but interestingly no chunks in the pleat corners.

My OCI length is ~5k. It also consumes some oil so it stays pretty fresh.

The top end is clean:
Civic_zps9f9021e3.jpg

Bottom end is clean:
OilPan005_zpsc3a29d68.jpg

OilPan002_zps1126049b.jpg

OilPan003_zpsc08c56c7.jpg

laugh.gif

Are you serious? 3 OCI's on one filter? Are you that poor or is it too much trouble to remove/install an oil filter.?
grin.gif

As I have stated before, to each his own. Until it is proven with scientific lab results, that an oil filter can be used again, for multiple OCI's, I will never do it!
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
As I have stated before, to each his own. Until it is proven with scientific lab results, that an oil filter can be used again, for multiple OCI's, I will never do it!
34.gif

Filter manufactures never say a filter needs to be changed at every OCI. Even some car manufacturers say it's OK to use an oil filter for 2 OCIs under certain driving conditions (ie, Honda).

Like said a few times, if a filter is advertised to be good for up to 15K miles (ie, FRAM Ultra), then if used under the right driving conditions it can be used for 15K miles, regardless of how many times the oil is changed over that 15K period. In fact, if the oil is changed along that 15K period, then the filter is liking it even more because it's not being ran for 15K on one OCI.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
34.gif

Filter manufactures never say a filter needs to be changed at every OCI. Even some car manufacturers say it's OK to use an oil filter for 2 OCIs under certain driving conditions (ie, Honda).

Like said a few times, if a filter is advertised to be good for up to 15K miles (ie, FRAM Ultra), then if used under the right driving conditions it can be used for 15K miles, regardless of how many times the oil is changed over that 15K period. In fact, if the oil is changed along that 15K period, then the filter is liking it even more because it's not being ran for 15K on one OCI.

I hope you were not typing that for me because that's falling upon deaf eyes.
grin.gif

I have done this many times but I am starting to change my mind, not due to the filter but the amount of old oil it leaves behind.

If your car took 5.5 quarts, would you dump in a new 5 quart jug then finish top off with a half quart of the old oil you just drained?

Nobody would do that, yet that is essentially what I'm doing when I just drain and fill.
frown.gif

The OP's filter looks good but the media looks saturated enough that I think he has hit the reasonable ceiling on this filter. D+ appears to be gone from AAP but I see them at my Walmart.

34.gif

grin.gif

That's about as much "proof" you're gonna get in using a filter over multiple OCIs. Like said, if the filter is advertised by the manufacturer to run 15K miles, then 15K is 15K ... no matter how many OCIs are done over that 15K period.

I have done this many times but I am starting to change my mind, not due to the filter but the amount of old oil it leaves behind.

If your car took 5.5 quarts, would you dump in a new 5 quart jug then finish top off with a half quart of the old oil you just drained?

Nobody would do that, yet that is essentially what I'm doing when I just drain and fill.
frown.gif

I hear ya ... but most people dump their oil way sooner than it should be anyway. For instance, if you're running a full synthetic that is good for 10K~12K miles, and you dump it at 7,500 but leave the filter (ie, Ultra) on for another 7,500 OCI, then to me you're not hurting anything because the small amount of oil left behind in the filter still has plenty of life in it.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with using a filter for 2 or 3 OCIs depending on the circumstances. Just have to be smart about doing it based on the exact circumstances.

34.gif

grin.gif

That's about as much "proof" you're gonna get in using a filter over multiple OCIs. Like said, if the filter is advertised by the manufacturer to run 15K miles, then 15K is 15K ... no matter how many OCIs are done over that 15K period.

thyawn.gif

frown.gif

The OP's filter looks good but the media looks saturated enough that I think he has hit the reasonable ceiling on this filter. D+ appears to be gone from AAP but I see them at my Walmart.

You can't drain all oil out of the engine regardless of how you do it, there are some oil left in the nook and canny of any engine. If you look at dry fill or engine rebuild and normal oil change you will see the different is about 10-20 oz.

I tried remove filter and let it drain about 6-8 oz drains from filter after 1-2 hours, the remaining oil in filter is probably less than 4-5 oz.

For 5-qt sump, 15-25 oz is no more than 10-15% of the total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back