DPF Regenerating additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experts,

My dad has a 2003 Volvo V70 D5 Turbodiesel. He Lives in Madrid ( spain ) for the following 4 years for his work ( diplomat ).

The mileage is 350.000 km now, nothing replaced except for 2x a timing belt.

Due some government fee's at a time it was hot to place an aftermarket DPF filter.
Told my dad that time that he shouldn't do it, it's only causing the car more pressure in the exhaust line and will decrease engine power.

Now he's coming back for like 2 weeks here to holland. And my feeling is that the DPF filter is a bit clogged ( placed at around 180.000 km, and it's a Retrofit DPF, so it doesnt regenerate by itself. )

Can i use an additive to regenerate the DPF? The car runs a bit rough the last time ( heavier sound, looks like it doesn't have all the torque like before )

Thank you for your time.

ps. @ my work we have Forté additives. Used some of them, all with good results. We also carry a DPF regenerating Additive from Forté. I can get this for discount because i am an employee

I thought that DPF filters need to be manually cleaned or replaced after a certain period of time.

DPFs tend to go bad when you do a lot of stop and go city driving since there is just no time for them to go up to the temperature required to purge them selfs. You need to hook it up to a computer and see at what % the DPF is and if it's at under 60% the easiest solution is to stick it into a low gear and drive it at above 3000Rpm for 30-40 Km on the highway.

The other method would be to just yank the DPF out and use a large propane torch and heat the sucker until all the remaining carbon particles turn to ash.

I don't know what this additive you are talking about is but it kinda sounds like snake oil as for it to be effective it will have to basically dramatically increase the exhaust gases's temperature in order to purge the DPF

Andy636,

The DPF is aftermarket, called a Retrofit DPF.

It doesn't regenerate by itself, it's an half open DPF system so there's nothing to check with the computer..

think om gonna kick the [censored] off and mount a straight pipe in place for the DPF.

I would not do that as in certain countries the fine is extremely hi and the car will fail further mandatory inspections. So what I'm basically saying is that you might get your dad in really hot waters if you just eliminate it
smile.gif

something with special plates because of my dad's job, so that won't be a real problem

Also it's an aftermarket DPF, it doesn't have to be on the car!

Last edited:
There are different designs for DPFs.

Some have electric heater grids to drive regeneration. Others rely on exhaust gas temperature, adding diesel if necessary to raise it. This is mostly what I've seen in the US. Another version requires removal and manual cleaning. It sounds like you've got the third.

Whatever it is, I wouldn't put much trust in an additive! I suppose if you can get it cheaply it's worth a try though.

Think i'm just gonna try, and put it in the tank when my dad leaves next week back to spain. He'll be driving 1800km in 1 piece, so the perfect circumstances for dpf cleaning

Hi, Tommiee.

I have been using some Forté products, some years ago.

I think they are high quality products.

It's really worth a try, and will absolutely do no harm.

Most people here on this board have never heard about Forté, and even less have tried it.

It is of no use for you to get advice from someone who hasn't
even tried it.

I think you should go for it, and just disregard my earlier advice, since I believe that Forté is at least as good as Envirox DPF cleaner and is readily available for you, at a discounted price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back