Filter recommendation for 1997 Nissan Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a 97 Nissan D21 pickup with the 2.4 (side job) - replacing the timing chain and guides among other things... I've noticed that on this truck and another like it that I see regularly at the shop I work at, if you let it sit for a few hours, then start it, it will rattle to beat the band. It is timing chain rattle from a malfunctioning ADBV. It is confirmed by removing the filter after an extended sit and not getting any oil coming back out. The truck I'm working on and the shop customer's truck both have Wix/NAPA Gold 51361/1361 filters.

For my side job customer, I'd like to stop the start up rattle and any damage to the guides if possible. My first thought was the OEM 1520855Y00 filter, but after a call to the local dealer, none are stocked due to low sales. I'd have to order a case of 48... No thanks.

So now what? It has to be locally available. Pure Ones are found in the next town over (15 miles away). Classics can be found here, but I'm not to sure about their nitrile ADBV. Otherwise it's Wix and Wix variants which don't seem to work, Frams, M1's, Bosch Distance Plus, AC Delco, Motorcraft, Mopar and K&N's.

Also, is there another Nissan filter app that would work in place of the 1520855Y00?

Last edited:
Hmmm....I think the engine in my 1999 is pretty similar and I haven't had start up rattle that I can remember. Or at least I haven't noticed it, which seems like something I would notice. I've used filters with nitrile and silicone ADBVs from most of the major manufacturers.

The problem is most likely a worn oil pump. My truck would rattle like a can of marbles when first started and it would take as long for the oil light to go off as it did the ABS light.

I replaced the oil pump and the problem is solved.

My 97 Altima with the same 2.4 did the same thing. A combination of Mobil Super 5000 10w30 and, believe it or not, STP e-core filters did the job. If I ever switched to a different oil or filter, the noise was back.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
The problem is most likely a worn oil pump. My truck would rattle like a can of marbles when first started and it would take as long for the oil light to go off as it did the ABS light.

I replaced the oil pump and the problem is solved.

Interesting. Since the filter was continually dry, I figured the blame was to be placed on that. I'd have to double check, but I think the truck only less than 100k miles.

I guess it'd be easy enough to find out though.

I've had problems with a Napa Gold filter before so I'm spooked, will never use them again. Others on here had problems with Napa Golds also. I'm sure you've seen the thread(s). Of course they were watered down with denial, as most threads get on here. But I know what happened, its the only filter failure, only filter problem I've ever experienced in decades of driving. I see the name Napa Gold, first thing I say is try a non-wix filter and see what happens.

Supposedly the MC was designed for this purpose, was an issue with Fords a few years back. Believe it or not the metal end cap expensive Fram Ultra solved a startup tick in the 08 GP in my signature.

The 2 engines in my signature - its the way they start more than anything else.

The Camry is more electronic. Starter turns, oil flows, then fuel, then it starts. Approx 2-4 seconds of turning the engine over before actual ignition. so the oil is flowing before the engine starts.

Grand Prix its BOOM! and its running before the oil is flowing. Idle is on the low side. So it ticks a little bit till the oil pressure builds up. Wish I could delay ignition, let the starter give it a few more turns like the Camry.

So having a filter with a strong ADBV matters more to the GP because of the way it starts. oil flow at startup is something to consider vs the ADBV. Maybe a thinner oil if the startup of a Nissan is more like the GP than the Camry.

It doesn't surprise me that Nissan no longer sells the oil filters for your truck. Around the year 2000, every Nissan changed to a completely different filter that is much smaller than the one on your truck, and some Nissans were using that smaller filter before the year 2000.

Anyway, I read that Motorcraft filters reduce startup noise. If you order one for a 1996 Mercury Villager, it will fit perfectly, even though the engine is different.

I have owned a couple D21 trucks and worked on many over the years. I am willing to bet once you replace the timing guides, tensioner and chain the noise will stop. The KA24 engine has an issue with the loose side chain guide breaking apart as the chain gets stretch and slaps against it causing a lot of startup noise and eventually a continuous noise you can hear if you rev the engine.

Thanks for the info guys. I think what I'll do is continue with the repair, check the oil pump out for any signs wear, damage or debris, then start cheap with a Purolator Classic and test the waters so to speak.

My '04 Altima 2.5 has the dreaded timing chain rattle on startup. The Purolator Classic(#14610) seems to minimize this as well as any filter thus far. Oversizing seemed to make the rattle worst on startups.

I have posted much about this over the years...in my particular Altima. It's been great using the Puro Classic and even better as the oils have gotten into the SN/GF-5 oils as this timing chain rattle can last for several minutes while driving in the colder temps too! But, with the newer oils and especially the new QSGB, it's really been great
smile.gif

Last edited:
97 was the last year for the single cam KA24E found in that truck. It had all of the latest timing components.

Different filters may make SOME difference ,but it is normal for them to make some pretty substantial timing chain noise at startup after sitting.

Its nothing to worry about with that engine.
I have had 2 of them. One is still in the family.

A 93 with a build date of 4-92 so it had the early weak timing components. With 181k the plastic guides all still look very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back