Fresh plugs made a HUGE difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted last week about putting fresh plugs in my 2008 Taurus X at 95,000 miles. I'm really surprised at how much peppier the engine is now. It's also smoother and around town mpg has gone from 17.8 to 19.2. Can't wait to take it on an extended trip and see what the highway mileage is now.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
So which plugs did you end up using?

OEM Motorcraft platinum.

Nice. It's always good to notice an increase in performance when doing routine maintenance.

Yeah, I need to do mine (I think) in the Montego. I just got it with 119K and more than likely they are still the originals as the majority of owners don't do routine maintenance the way we sicko's do
wink.gif
I will be using Motorcraft plugs myself too.

Did you do anything else during the plug change? On our 04 Escape noticed no difference after I changed the plugs around 95k. Basically the same engine.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What was there and how long were they there?

Factory plugs with 95,000 miles on them. Ford recommends plug change at 90,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Did you do anything else during the plug change? On our 04 Escape noticed no difference after I changed the plugs around 95k. Basically the same engine.

Did two drain and refils on the tranny with MaxLife ATF. Already commented on how this did away with a slight shudder I was getting during partial TC lockup in 5th and 6th gear.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
100K plugs don't seem to last for 100k ...

They do in some cars.

I pulled the plugs out of my parent's Taurus with a 3.0 Tec @ 80K miles and they were still in spec. I must say that I was surprised.

Still running original plugs in my Corolla. Although they are Iridium. rated for 192k kms (120k miles) before advising to replace them. Im at 96k miles now.. no issues

The original iridium plugs in my RX300 looked like new at 160k miles. I could have left them alone for another 40k miles. I went ahead and replaced them anyways though.

I changed the stock plugs in my formally owned Sonata at 100K. they were still very serviceable, however, I replaced them anyway along with other items. I got to use them for 5K before someone came along and killed the car.

Mine did....I changed mine out on my 03' Ford Focus at 105K. They looked like they could go another 20K+ Ford recommends change out at 100K.

Replaced with Autolite APP 103 Double Plats. Didn't seem to effect power or mileage at all....so I guess I could have continued on the originals a bit longer.

It really depends on the vehicle. The last two Honda 2.4s I did at 115k, both cars had plugs that were still well in spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back