4-New tire time

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the tires came. Will be getting them mounted.. probably mid march.

One thing that surprised me is how beefy the sidewalls feel

I have Hankook H727s on my Mazda MPV and have put about 30K miles on them. I live in Houston so I have not driven the tires in snow. According to Consumer Reports, Hankook H727s are good in snow for all-season tires. I cannot confirm this observation but it sounds plausible to me.

I like the tires overall but Tire Rack tested these tires and rated their traction on wet pavement as below average. I agree. On wet pavement, the tires frequently slip on startup and easily lock up (ABS pulsing) under braking. On the other hand, the tires are very resistant to hydroplaning (my biggest concern in wet driving), a property that Tire Rack inexplicably does not test. For a driver who accelerates, corners, and brakes cautiously on wet pavement, Hankook H727s are a very good choice. The tires are quiet, ride well, handle reasonably well on dry pavement, wear well, and resist hydroplaning

I have no experience with Cooper CS 4 tires.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
On a cost basis?

Starfire RS-C 2.0

Made in USA. (Cooper private label) You are running winter tires so snow traction is not an issue. Overall reviews are pretty good with treadlife being the consistant shortcoming. (at $50 odd dollars a tire that's forgivable)

My mom and I are both running these tires with no complaints at all. I didn't know they were made in the USA, that's an added bonus!

My experience with the Michelin Defender wasn't stellar. 3 of the 4 tires I had installed were out-of-round. I dropped a wad having them rebalanced at multiple shops due to a persistent vibration over 55 mph (was told "it isn't the tires" more than once...thought it must be something else). Finally, a tire installer informed me that the rear tires couldn't be balanced...and I returned the whole set to Michelin for a full refund. Those were my first (and last) Michelins. I will say they were incredibly quiet...when they weren't vibrating. My other problem with the Michelins is they only start out with 10/32 tread depth and their snow ratings on TR aren't great (possibly due to the tread depth?). I'm now running a set of H rated Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus based on the great TR reviews (and their own tests). After 15,000 miles, they're holding up great and have been very good in the snow this winter...handling and ride are first-rate. Tread noise is a little more than I expected (given the reviews claiming a quiet tire) but overall I'm very satisfied...would buy them again.

I'll be short - Had an absolute WONDERFUL experience with the michelin defender tire. $70 off Rebate right now too!

When I was still single, my ex-gf was employed as a nurse practitioner at Cleveland Clinic. Her request to me at the time was she required an all-season tire that she didn't have to swap during the winter when the snow tires came on and as capable. I did my research and had the prior version(WR) of the following tires put on her Lincoln Town Car. CLICK
She loved them especially during the winter months.

an update:

had these mounted and roadforce balanced.

all 4 were good.

smooth and quiet ride. Seem great so far.

They are a good fit on the econobox.. its needs abit of softness or its like riding in an oxcart every bump.

handling is actually good because the tires are so small.

even without breakin the traction far exceeded the oem tires in the wet.
(not hydroplane resistance actual traction)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back