4-New tire time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
The door jamb just specifies tires with no speed rating.

In this case, I think you're making a good choice in looking at quality T-rated tires.

Hankook H727 on my 500. For us they have had good all weather performance. I would buy them again if I had to.

The cooper h-rated is about 5/more a tire.. I actually like the tread pattern on the T-rated tires better.

I'd get the T-rated CS4's. My dad's 07 Camry called for H rated tires but the tire store put the T-rated CS4's on the car. Mileage warranty goes from 60k on the H rated to 80k with the T rated. A friend with a 06 Accord thought the H rated CS4 was an excellent tire but road a little too stiff/harsh on the highway. Next time he would get the T rated versions.

Originally Posted By: pbm
A year and a half ago I talked my b-i-l into buying 4 Hankook H727's. From the begining he complained that they were terrible in wet weather but I pointed out the great ratings in TR's surveys. Yesterday I drove the car when the snow first started and it was sliding all over the place. He has about 32K on the tires and they still look like new but I have to agree with him on the wet/light snow traction being TERRIBLE. This is on a 2004 Corolla with over 200K.
Any ideas why the surveys and his experience are so different?

The night and day reviews of the H727 in rain/snow is the most extreme I have seen of any tire. It was my one hesitation before I bought a set for my Saturn a few months ago. Recently, the H727 topped the field, including the GY TripleTred, for snow traction in a TR test. Go figure.

So far, I am very happy with both wet and snow performance---including last night, during the epic storm. (Actually, we were on the western edge of the storm and did not slammed too bad; still, the roads were slick for awhile.) Granted the tires have less than 3K miles on them.

I think maybe it varies from vehicle to vehicle. The more tire reviews I read, the more I believe that some tires "match" certain vehicles better than others. In some cases there are good technical reasons for this, I am sure; also I suspect there is a kind of vehicular karma at work, maybe.

Also it might vary from size to size. My H727s are 185/65/14, same size the 2010 Accent takes. My Saturn is roughly the same weight as the Accent, though a bit larger overall. For those reasons---plus the OP already has winter tires, so snow performance is not a priority, even if it turns out I and the TR review team are wrong---I recommend the H727 for the Accent.

If your friendly local tire installer balks at the speed rating, send 'em here....

................anyone know of any upcoming deals by apr 1st or so?............

Presidents Day sales???
Spring sales???
Easter sales???

I'd go with 185/65R14 General Alimtax RT or Altimax HP .

They do well in Tireracks testing, have good reviews and are cheaper than other branded tires. They are great values IMHO.

If money were no concern I'd go with the Michelin Defender. Those have excellent reviews as well.

Pirelli P4 Four Seasons are also excellent all season tires however some are made in China and some folks won't buy Chinese tires. In fact I liked my Pirelli P4s a little more than my current General tires.

Last edited:
A year and a half ago I talked my b-i-l into buying 4 Hankook H727's. From the begining he complained that they were terrible in wet weather but I pointed out the great ratings in TR's surveys. Yesterday I drove the car when the snow first started and it was sliding all over the place. He has about 32K on the tires and they still look like new but I have to agree with him on the wet/light snow traction being TERRIBLE. This is on a 2004 Corolla with over 200K.

I have been very happy with the performance of the H727s on my Sonata. The wet/snow performance has been good, IMO. To be honest, it hasn't snowed much in the last couple years, but the few times it has I've been happy with the performance. I've driven them in the wet plenty of times and in neither snow nor wet have I been "sliding all over the place." In my situation, the traction has not been terrible, it's been quite good for an all-season, non-performance tire, IMO.

I have about 20k miles on my H727 tires.

On the H vs. T rating debate - My Sonata came with V rated tires, but the manual and door sticker don't say V rated replacements are required.

Member CapriRacer recommends H rated tires or above. In a thread recently he said that he recommends H rated because of the cap ply, not because of the H speed rating. So really, he's recommending tires with cap plies, which some S and T rated tires don't have:
Here's what he said in this thread on the topic:

Quote:
Some tire manufacturers will put cap plies on S and T rated - even in small tire sizes. Good for them.

Because I want to make a simple to remember recommendation, I use the shortcut to H speed rating, but the truth is that a cap ply is what I am driving at.

The H727 has a cap ply, even though it's only T rated. I have no concerns about using them, even though they don't meet the speed rating of the original tires.

Originally Posted By: krzyss

Never trust surveys too much. I prefer tests (be it Tirerack, CR or ADAC) where results are measured than opinions without baseline.

Indeed. When you look at some touring tire with good survey vs high performance tire with not so good survey, even a not so good rating on the high performance tire can be much better than the raved touring tire on the objective wet brake distance.

Well the GF's work vehicle, 2010 accent has 3 nearly bald factory tires and a used tigerpaw.

She is on her winter tires currently (michelin xice xi2)

When its time for the winter tires to come off I need to have new tires mounted and ready to go.

anyone know of any upcoming deals by apr 1st or so?

Top of my list are
Hankook h727
Cooper CS4-T rated
michelin defender

would consider other highly rated/liked tires.

theoretically they dont need to be all season but in ohio I'd rather have all-seasons even with dedicated winter tires.

edit: tire size is 185/65R14, 195/65r14's will fit but I'll be staying oem unless the upsize is cheaper.

The H727's are a really good tire for passenger cars and they are excellent in the snow. That would be my 1st choice even if it wasn't on your list. DiscountTireDirect.Com has them for $77 each + free shipping and if you use their credit card to buy them you get a $30 prepaid CC as a rebate so $278 a set of 4. PepBoys sells Hankook and is running a buy 3 gets the 4th free promotion( pretty common with them )too. Hard to beat the DTD deal though.

The Cooper's are another good tire. The Michelin tires are highly rated but also priced high like alll Michelins. $102 each at DTD but there is a $70 rebate( prepaid CC - offer ends 2/23/2013 )and if you also used the DTD credit card another $30( I think you can get both? )so w/ free shipping it isn't bad @ $308 a set of 4.

Just a comment on another tire recommended by someone else. The Dunlop Signature II. When I 1st saw photos of this tire and read the spec's I was very interested. The original Signatures are horrendous tires bu the new Signature II version seemed to be a vast improvement( on paper ).

I decided to check them out as I was looking for tires for my Patriot and these were offered in the OE size I needed. There are very limited "decent" tires available in the size(s) I needed and when I saw the new II's I was interested as said. However, upon seeing them in person and speaking with the tire retailers about them I changed my mind fast. Every tire shop I spoke with about these tires advised against them based on customer feedback. This from a NEW tire no less. It wasn't a money thing either as they were steering me towards other tires that were less $$$.

I thought they would be good in the snow based on the tread but have been told it is one of the biggest complaints about them( also complaints they were loud from quite a few people ). So FWIW I thought I would mention this. Also felt the tires had very little sidewall strength from a hands on inspection. No actual use experience but I was spooked out of it by the tire shops. I was ready to give them a shot despite Dunlop being a Goodyear owned tire company and I am NOT a fan of GY.

I guess a Dunlop by any other name is a Goodyear.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I was ready to give them a shot despite Dunlop being a Goodyear owned tire company and I am NOT a fan of GY.

grin2.gif

Do you know something that Goodyear is not revealing?

My recollection, which may be distorted by the lens of passing time is that, when just about all Japanese companies were awash in cash, Sumitomo bought Dunlop. Then came what the Japanese call "the bubble" as the Japanese economy sank into a decade or more of malaise. Sumitomo went from having more cash than it knew how to spend to being cash short and Goodyear bought into Dunlop big time; but I (for one) have never seen any details of the arrangement, whether Sumitomo remains the majority owner of Dunlop, or now is a minority shareholder, or whether the arrangement is 50-50. Do you have details?

It does appear that the European tires that used to be sold as Fulda are more and more marketed as Dunlop, while the profile of Sumitomo branded tires in Asia is declining at about the same rate as the profile of Dunlop branded tires is on the ascent in the same markets. What that means for the Dunlop brand as to tires sold in North America I can only guess, though.

To Rand's original post, I will say that we have had all sorts of top-end tires on our vehicles, including some exotics, and the latest set of tires, now on the car, may well be the best tires we ever have had from the driver's standpoint. They happen to be Dunlop branded tires, SP Sport Maxx TT. Excellent braking modulation and performance in all conditions, and excellent handling on the wet roads that we see often here in the Pacific Northwest. We are very strongly biased that the most important function of any tire is to stop the vehicle when called upon to do so, and the SP Sport Maxx TT tires perform that function very well indeed.

Originally Posted By: GC4lunch
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I was ready to give them a shot despite Dunlop being a Goodyear owned tire company and I am NOT a fan of GY.

grin2.gif

Do you know something that Goodyear is not revealing?

My recollection, which may be distorted by the lens of passing time is that, when just about all Japanese companies were awash in cash, Sumitomo bought Dunlop. Then came what the Japanese call "the bubble" as the Japanese economy sank into a decade or more of malaise. Sumitomo went from having more cash than it knew how to spend to being cash short and Goodyear bought into Dunlop big time; but I (for one) have never seen any details of the arrangement, whether Sumitomo remains the majority owner of Dunlop, or now is a minority shareholder, or whether the arrangement is 50-50. Do you have details?

It does appear that the European tires that used to be sold as Fulda are more and more marketed as Dunlop, while the profile of Sumitomo branded tires in Asia is declining at about the same rate as the profile of Dunlop branded tires is on the ascent in the same markets. What that means for the Dunlop brand as to tires sold in North America I can only guess, though.

To Rand's original post, I will say that we have had all sorts of top-end tires on our vehicles, including some exotics, and the latest set of tires, now on the car, may well be the best tires we ever have had from the driver's standpoint. They happen to be Dunlop branded tires, SP Sport Maxx TT. Excellent braking modulation and performance in all conditions, and excellent handling on the wet roads that we see often here in the Pacific Northwest. We are very strongly biased that the most important function of any tire is to stop the vehicle when called upon to do so, and the SP Sport Maxx TT tires perform that function very well indeed.

From Wikipedia( if you trust them )...

Dunlop Tires is owned by Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company which sells Dunlop brand tires in North America, Australia and Europe. In other regions of the world, the Dunlop brand is owned by other companies. In India the brand is owned by Dunlop India Ltd. whose parent company is the Ruia Group, in the rest of Asia by Sumitomo and in South Africa by Apollo Tyres Ltd. of India.

Or, from Dunlop's web site...

2000 Our 1999 integration into the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company is complete, creating the ideal combination of racing heritage and worldwide technological resources.

Full owner or part owners doesn't matter to me if GY is involved.

Last edited:

Is it possible that 'break in' wasn't done correctly and this is causing his H727s to behave so differently than some other's experience?

so No triple rebate from DTD

I can get the defenders for 101$ each

with 100$ in rebates. (70 mich, 30 CC rebate)

so about 331$ after tax

I can get dunlop signature II's for 67$ + tax or about 286$ no rebates is a Plus

or michelin defender XT's for 94*4 + tax -70 or 331$

hankook h727 308$

Last edited:
so No triple rebate from DTD

I can get the defenders for 101$ each

with 100$ in rebates. (70 mich, 30 CC rebate)

so about 331$ after tax

I can get dunlop signature II's for 67$ + tax or about 286$ no rebates is a Plus

or michelin defender XT's for 94*4 + tax -70 or 331$

hankook h727 308$

Michelin Defender is the no-brainer option here, assuming that you can find someone to install them.

I think the reason many see KH16 as bad tire is because they have the OEM variant of it. The OEM one is low rolling resistance while the aftermarket one is not, and people do complain about its fuel economy. So the rubber is likely different.

The A traction rating is straight line wet braking at full tread..

Not only that. The NHTSA test procedure to determine the rating specifies that the tire be locked. The test is completely irrelevant for tirea that are mounted on cars (most, these days) that are equipped with ABS.

I got the defenders from DTD

101-8$ (pricematch)

93x4
env fee 1$x4
TAX

=401$ too my door

-70 DTD mich. rebate
-30 CC rebate
=301$ final cost

mount and balance will either be 40$ or 80$

depending on if I have it roadforce balanced or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back