Reverse thread wheel lock remover any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want to use the lock nuts again? Can always weld a lugnut to what's left.

My old tire store used something that looks more like this:

tss5d.jpg

I assume you considered replacing the key. Dealer (if factory supplied) or manufacturer directly. I purchased a Gorilla brand replacement for my son on eBay.

As for the tool you listed, no experienced but have heard people have luck just using an a slightly over sized socket and hammering it on (not sure that would be too good for the bearings)

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Just do what the crooks do. Hammer a harbor freight socket on it and unscrew it.

First choice before buying anything new.

No, I do not want to reuse the wheel locks.

If I can ever get them off, I will replace them with regular lug nuts.

Maybe check with the last place you bought tires. They might pull them and replace with lugnuts you provide, all for free. Or check out America's Tire/Discount Tire to do that and a rotation for you. I was in one getting my tires rebalanced last week and they did a repair and rotation for free for a woman who bought her tires elsewhere. They were upfront with her and told her she had 10k miles left on her current tires and made recommendations for replacements when the time came. Talk about customer service!

Last edited:
I tried using the ones pictured above (got them at SEARS), and I didn't have much luck. My locks were the ones with a round chromed edge that had a recessed "key". These would not bite into the round edge.

I ended up having a garage remove them, they charged $93.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I tried using the ones pictured above (got them at SEARS), and I didn't have much luck. My locks were the ones with a round chromed edge that had a recessed "key". These would not bite into the round edge.

I had good luck with the socket method on this style. I think mine were McGard or something along those lines. I still don't know where the key ended up.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

My locks are of the same type

I got them out with the hammer on socket method.

I bought replacement lug nuts that fit in fine but they are shorter than the original nuts (my Toyota uses recessed nuts M12x1.5)

Where do they sell full-length lug nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back