2005 Chrysler Sebring

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013-03-09_10-28-33_83.jpg

Wife's new car has the 2.7 DOHC v-6.. Traded in the 07 Altima. This only has 19K miles (must have been a summer car). Garage kept and only a few parking lot dings. Replaced the tires as they were 8+ years old, according to the date codes. Changed oil with M1 5w-20 and an M-1 oil filter.

I am not a big Chrysler fan, and know there are some issues with the 2.7, but the wife gave me that "look"...
grin.gif

Dave

PCV.
WATER PUMP..
SYN 3K OCI...

NOOOWWWWW!

Sorry, But I have seen waaay too many decent ChryCo products die due to that dammed engine.
Those 3 parts are the specific problem areas.
The water pump weeps, it leaks into the crankcase.
The PCV can fail, trapping fumes, putting even more stress on oil.
And a full syn changed often.

You have been warned....

Dave, congrats. I love that car. The Sebring drives pretty good, or at least the '04 sedan did that we had at work. And I really like the styling of the convertible. Enjoy it in good health.

Yep. Check your PCV, water pump, timing belts, etc.

Just change the oil every 3k religiously though and you should be golden. I wouldn't say synthetic is mandatory...gives you more margin though.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
PCV.
WATER PUMP..
SYN 3K OCI...

NOOOWWWWW!

Sorry, But I have seen waaay too many decent ChryCo products die due to that dammed engine.
Those 3 parts are the specific problem areas.
The water pump weeps, it leaks into the crankcase.
The PCV can fail, trapping fumes, putting even more stress on oil.
And a full syn changed often.

You have been warned....

I will keep a check under the hood every weekend. Glad I bought the extended warranty (just in case)... I did put in a new PCV valve also this past weekend.
Dave

Congrats!!!
I bought my wife an 04 last year. Ditto on what everyone else has said about oil changes, PVC and water pump. But even with that, the few times my wife lets me drive her car, I enjoy every minute of it.

We have a 2001 Sedan model in the family. Great car, it has the 2.4 though. At 159k and not even acting tired yet. It's my son's so I still get to mess with it and do the OCI's, I have it on Maxlife.

Had one as a rental for a buddy's wedding in North Carolina. Wound up being a glorious mid-September long weekend. What a great car for that time of year... had tan lines from the seatbelts when I returned home to Chicago.

Blah blah sludgemonster typical Mopar electrical/transmission woes, whatever. Enjoy the car!

Or somebody "corrected" the miles? LOL!
I've always liked the look of these cars.
There is a woman I work with who has a '97 (dark green with tan top) that she's used as a daily dirver from new.
You know of the issues with the 2.7, so as long as you attend to this engine accordingly, it should be fine.
Nice car!

wife had an 04 for about a year. had zero trouble with it and sorta liked the engine. it however handled like [censored], and we moved along to a more practical vehicle.

I had a '96 Sebring Convertible with the Mitsubishi 6G73.

It was one of my favorite cars.

Handled at least as well as any FWD Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder and women absolutely loved it. Seriously. It's the last thing you think of when you think chick magnet, but it was.

That being said, I did not like the way later models handled. Seems they dumbed it down and made it more isolated

But just seeing yours makes me want another one.
thumbsup2.gif
Congrats!

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
wife had an 04 for about a year. had zero trouble with it and sorta liked the engine. it however handled like [censored], and we moved along to a more practical vehicle.

Practical?

My friend was moving and has one of those huge tacky papasan chairs. It would not fit into his Cherokee.

Guess how it got moved?

Top down, stuffed in the backseat of my Sebring
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back