TB cleaner vs Carb/choke cleaner vs MAF cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I would like to clean by car's throttle body by spraying a cleaner on it. I just noticed that I don't own a special TB cleaner. I only have Carb and choke cleaner and a MAF cleaner. I assume Carb cleaner is too strong to be used around throttle body. What about MAF cleaner. Would it work?

I've used carb and choke cleaner on throttle bodies, aswell as brake cleaner. I think only certain Ford throttle bodies have a special coating that requires an appropriate cleaner to prevent damage. It should be labelled if that is the case.

Last edited:
If your throttle body is plain uncoated metal you should be fine. I heard of some TBs having coating on them that got messed up by people cleaning them using the wrong chemicals.

Yes, we got couple Fords. I think I will get a TB Cleaner.

What should I do with the Carb and choke cleaner?

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Yes, we got couple Fords. I think I will get a TB Cleaner.

What should I do with the Carb and choke cleaner?

I spray it in the tb with the engine running. I've never seen tb cleaner but I assume its the same thing labelled different.
What does it say on the instructions?

35.gif

Do you have lawn mower, snow thrower, generator etc? Use your carb cleaner for that maintenance.

No need to waste MAF cleaner on a TB.
Carb or brake cleaners work well.

As to the coatings, they are there to prevent build up but they don't do jack squat.
So who cares if any is removed?

MAF cleaner - safe for sensitive hot wires in the MAF and will not leave any residue that could affect performance. Good for the MAF, but probably not strong enough for anything else.

Carb cleaner - strong solvent that will remove most anything, but could harm sensitive parts, plastics, etc. No real application for this in routine maintenance on a modern car.

Throttle body cleaner - coating safe and leaves behind a light film of lubricant. Also great for IAC valves.

As for coatings not doing jack squat, if that was the case manufacturers probably wouldn't spend the time and money on coating their TBs with Teflon, nor would they go through the trouble of affixing a warning to not remove the Teflon coating. No coating will totally stop all buildup, but if it reduces buildup over a given period of time and makes that buildup easier to remove, it's worth spending another $1 on the correct cleaner to keep things working as the manufacturer intended. Especially if you only have to clean it every 100K miles instead of every year.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

As to the coatings, they are there to prevent build up but they don't do jack squat.

I was taught that removing the coating would result in a larger air gap and higher idle.

Originally Posted By: asand1

I was taught that removing the coating would result in a larger air gap and higher idle.

Ahhh... school theories!
Those coatings don't work. A catch can does very well.
The idle air valve will compensate.

Ahhh... school theories!

What evidence do you have that the coatings don't work?

My coated TB doesn't need a catch can, the PCV system is functioning correctly, and I don't want the IAC valve compensating for a malfunctioning part.

Some new throttlebodies are made of plastic with a metal throttle blade inside. On the side there is a warning "Do not clean, replace only"

So BG made a special TB cleaner that wouldn't harm the plastic.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Ahhh... school theories!

What evidence do you have that the coatings don't work?

My coated TB doesn't need a catch can, the PCV system is functioning correctly, and I don't want the IAC valve compensating for a malfunctioning part.

Evidence? Years of seeing so many that are filthy in the shop. The cleanest ones were far away from the residue/pooling in the manifold.
Cleaning a TB is not a 'malfunctioning part'.
If your TB is staying clean, be happy - you are lucky and this is not common.

I also find all this worry about coatings to be highly exaggerated. In my mind the coating will only work for the first layer of buildup, after that more carbon simply builds up on top of the old layer, so the coating is useless at that point.
I think the only reason for a coating is to extend the time it takes to get the first layer of carbon deposits, so that the dealers don't have to clean TB's under warranty.
It seems that the driving pattern affects the TB cleanliness much more than anything else. Do short trips only and the TB will be caked with carbon buildup in no time.

I use whatever I can get cheaper and usually it's the carburetor cleaner. But I never spray the whole TB with it. I simply use a rag soaked with carburetor cleaner to wipe everything clean. Never had an issue and I'm not worried about coatings.

I cleaned the TB on my Focus with a plastic housing and to be honest the thought of plastic being somehow damaged by the cleaner never crossed my mind. I mean the material was chosen to deal with EGR gasses and motor oil from crankcase ventilation, so it should have no problem with a cleaner that is petroleum based.

I think all this stuff about coatings, plastic not being able to cope with the cleaner is just another way for the manufacturers of those products to segregate the product line and bring in more profits.IMO

Ahhh... school theories!

Just depends what you call not working. They definitely help retard the buildup. Trust me, if they could save the nickel it cost them they would!

And since a ton of us don't even have an IAC anymore...

No, they don't definitely retard build up.
And like another poster said, once a layer of any debris is there, the coating is null and void.

Evidence? Years of seeing so many that are filthy in the shop. The cleanest ones were far away from the residue/pooling in the manifold.
Cleaning a TB is not a 'malfunctioning part'.
If your TB is staying clean, be happy - you are lucky and this is not common.

Staying clean? No, but after I cleaned it for the first time around 120K miles, I was surprised at the lack of buildup it had, and how easy it was to remove what was on there. The TB had never been touched prior to that. There was also no discernible difference in performance after the cleaning, so it obviously wasn't a lot of buildup.

If the IAC has to compensate for a TB that allows too much air to pass at idle because the coating has been stripped off, to me that means the TB is malfunctioning.

Do you tell your customers you are disregarding manufacturer warnings to not remove the coating? Yeah, I know, they probably don't care. I wouldn't want a shop to just disregard a manufacturer warning though and strip off a coating that was put there for a reason. TB cleaner doesn't cost that much, may as well do it right.

^^^Precisely why folks fear many indie shops.

Too many varied requirements to just do whatever worked last time on the last car!

Imagining in this day and age that something, anything, is present on a car engine that is NOT needed? You ever hear of 'bean counters'? They run the car companies now.

The EPA requires the car to run cleanly for X number of miles. That is why they coat the backside of TB's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back