craftsman track drive snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 15 year old Craftsman track drive snowblower that recently stopped working. The blower was working fine and when suddenly it seemed to lock up and stop it's forward motion. From then on, the blower would move forward a few feet and then lock up. I would have to move to a reverse gear for a few feet to unlock it and begin forward again for only a few more feet before it locked up again. I have removed the belly pan and replaced the drive belt. Nothing else appears to be broke. All cables, belts, chains and springs appear good. I believe the problem is somewhere in the gears causing it to lock. The friction wheel is clean and works good. Frustrating since it's been snowing like crazy lately. Any suggestions appreciated.

I'll give it a try. I lved in WI for 26 years so don't let my location bother you. (LOL). You don't give a model but Sears still has a great online service site that will show an exploded view and possibly a service manual. That will help.

What actuates the drive system from you? IF it is by a cable, they are very prone to stretch or need adjustment like a bike brake cable if this is what you have. Or is it a lever or ? Everything lubed and greased? Is this a hydrostatic or speed type transmission?

Last edited:
Hi, I recently had an issue with my track-drive snow blower. The track is driven by plastic wheels on the inside rear inside of the belt. Several of the cogs, that mesh/engage with the track, were broken. This caused binding and the snowblower would come to a stop until I backed up a few inches and re-engaged the drive. Surprisingly, it's not that obvious unless you take a real close look. Fixed by replacing the rear drive wheels. It was a relatively simple repair.
Good luck!!!

does the friction wheel engage positively on the drive plate? had an older snowblower that sometimes and suddenly stopped moving, just to start again after a few seconds or not at all. Erratically. Worse in wind when fine snow that got in and made the plate wet and slippery.
Fixed by adjusting the drive linkage to press harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back