Filter questions - syn conversion on 08 accord v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDC

I recently did my first oil change on my 08 accord v6 @ 56.3k. The old dino oil was pretty black with a couple of viscous globs, so I'm going to run a few cycles of low mileage OCI's with PP and PU until things clean up.

Which brings me to filters. My current oil is PP with a Honda A02 filter, which after doing some reading on its quality, will be my last. Honda suggests changing the filter every other oil change. I plan on swapping this batch of PP out after 3k and refilling with PU for a 5k interval. In my application, should I use the same filter or swap in a new one?

I've also read that the Honda A01 filters are a much better part than the A02, so I bought four of them. Seeing that it's made by Filtech, is it pretty much the same as a Bosch Premium? If the Bosch is superior, would it be wise to use it with the PU refill in order to better capture any remaining crud in my engine and use the A01s once things are cleaned up?

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

If your goal is cleaning , than change the filter!! If your cleaning the engine , but depositing it back to oil and not filtering it , it will get back into the engine...

Grab PurOne or Mobil EP and change everytime , they are both good at filtering and hold decent amount of gunk.

You can always use engine flush if you think its actually that dirty, Redline ,Liqou moly, and amsoil make best engine flushes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RDC

I plan on swapping this batch of PP out after 3k and refilling with PU for a 5k interval.

Just do a 3k & 5k with PP, then switch it up to PU.

At that point it would be safe to do PU to 5% OLM.

Honda filters aren't low quality. They're low efficiency, and there's a very big difference there. Lower efficiency results in a higher capacity, which is why they recommend using them twice. And as the filter loads, efficiency will increase anyway.

If you are using a quality aftermarket filter with higher efficiency, I would not run it twice; I'd change it on every change. The exception to that would be for filters marketed as long-life filters; they have media designed to handle longer durations.

You are fine with the OEM filters. You'd also probably have success with PureOne and Fram Tough Guard. Regardless of your filter selection, just be sure to change every OCI, unless you have an extended OCI filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Honda filters aren't low quality. They're low efficiency, and there's a very big difference there. Lower efficiency results in a higher capacity, which is why they recommend using them twice. And as the filter loads, efficiency will increase anyway.

Would the Honda OEM filter be considered an extended OCI filter then, due to its higher capacity? Once the engine shows it's clean, would it then be OK to run the A01 filter twice?

Last edited:
I would consider the Honda OES filter to be an extended OCI filter, yes.

If you're doing 3k mile OCIs, nearly any available filter would be good for one interval, and most would also be good for two intervals. Most people wouldn't hesitate to run a Fram orange can or Purolator white can 6k miles. But 6k miles is about as far as I'd run some filters on a Honda V-6.

If you're doing 5k mile OCIs, nearly any available filter would be good for one interval, and I'd run some of them for two intervals, like either of the OES Honda filters, the Bosch Distance Plus, the Purolator Synthetic (marketed as a 10,000 mile filter), etc. Others are appropriate as well, like the top-line Wix filters, top-line Fram filters, etc. I wouldn't run a Purolator white can for two intervals, nor would I run a Fram orange can for two intervals.

If you end up changing oil according to the Maintenance Minder, which for your car would likely be in the 7-9k mile range, I'd only use either of the OES Honda filters or a filter marketed as an extended life filter (such as the top-line Bosch or Purolator filters mentioned above).

Myself, I am doing 5k mile OCIs on our Honda V-6, and I'm using a Purolator Synthetic for two intervals. I'm doing MM OCIs on our Honda I-4, and will use the Purolator Synthetic for one interval, but may consider going to two intervals depending on the performance of the filter.

I don't think I'd consider either the A-01 or A-02 to be "extended oci" filters, other than the fact that Honda's recommendation is for changing any oil filter every other oil change. Neither is known to be particularly efficient and I don't buy that's it's by design so they can be run twice. When I attended the Fram test labs seminar last fall, the reason given had to with Hondas only being originally certified for use in Japan for a short time. Fram makes the A-02 for Honda to Honda specs. There's also nothing that I've seen published that shows either to have any exceptional holding capacity. In fact nothing published at all.

I also don't think the media in the in the A-01 is the same as the Bosch Premium. Though the Filtech name is still used for the BP, it's generally accepted thanks in part to river_rat's testing that it is the same as a Pure One. Makes sense since they are both now made by Purolator in the same plant.

The A-01 is similar in construction to other no end cap type filters like the Toyota oem, which again is not a very efficient filter testing out in the ~50% range. River_rats testing also reached this conclusion.

I'd use the A-01 with your Synthetic oil plan to at least 5k to get cleanup. Anything less is a waste of oil and resources imo. Then I'd change it out each time in this process because of your indication of some need for cleaning.

As for any fear of using a specific filter two times because of some being higher efficiency, I'd have none. While I've only used one filter two ocis in a 3.0L Accord recently with a Bosch Distance Plus to 13.5k mi. But, I may do it again with a PL14610 on now. The only consideration I'd have about using any filter twice would be the cost/benefit or ROI.

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'm going to run this fill of PP/A02 for roughly 3,600 miles, which will have the odometer right at 60k. I'll follow it up with a 5k OCI of either PP or PU, and go 7.5k thereafter that with the QSUD and whatever full syn I can get a deal on.

After I go through this batch of A01 filters, I think I'll just get Bosch Premiums online at rockauto.com - they're pretty cheap there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RDC
Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'm going to run this fill of PP/A02 for roughly 3,600 miles, which will have the odometer right at 60k. I'll follow it up with a 5k OCI of either PP or PU, and go 7.5k thereafter that with the QSUD and whatever full syn I can get a deal on.

After I go through this batch of A01 filters, I think I'll just get Bosch Premiums online at rockauto.com - they're pretty cheap there.

Pennzoil platinum for 3600 miles,then a 5000 mile run of ultra. What a waste of good oil. Then qsud for 7500 miles and ultra for 5000.
You have this backwards.
Run the present sump fill for 5000 miles. The ultra for 10000 miles and forget the Quaker state.
Or if you have a concern about sludge use PYB for 3000 mile intervals with mmo added 1000 miles before changing the oil for a couple runs then run the ultra or pp to maintain the cleanliness.
This is just my opinion but you are using some great products and leaving alot on the table with the short intervals.
If this engine is a sludger I would use PYB at 3000 mile intervals on a permanent basis,or any quality conventional and maybe every second or third interval add some mmo for the last 1000 miles

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If you are using a quality aftermarket filter with higher efficiency, I would not run it twice; I'd change it on every change. The exception to that would be for filters marketed as long-life filters; they have media designed to handle longer durations.

My 07 Civic stated to change the oil filter every other oil change. My 2011 Accord V6(same filter) states to change EVERY oil change. Either way the OEM filter is fine, and can often be found dirt cheap online in bulk. I still have 8 left and plan on using them all.

Quote:
...... My 2011 Accord V6(same filter) states to change EVERY oil change....

So you're saying you're 11 Accord doesn't have an A, B code indicator on the MM? A, meaning no oil filter, B indicating change oil filter. Or, you're saying that the MM stays on B all the time? The 11 Accord owners manual indicates that there's an MM A-B indicator, and my 07 V6 alternates between A and B each oci.
21.gif

As for either the A-01 or A-02, I just prefer something that specs more efficient to start with. Not saying I wouldn't use one though, in fact currently have Honda dealer installed A-02 on a Civic with a $10 oil change special, price was right. Just saying I wouldn't chase either or bother to stash. Just me.

I know this is going to be a very unBITOG thing to say, but:

I just don't think it matters much. Buy a quality name brand filter and change it at a reasonable interval and it will be fine. A01's certainly qualify as a quality brand name filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back