Trust a dealer to do a pre-purchase inspection...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...on a used car that they have for sale?

Wife and I have been on a quest for a suitable Ford Focus wagon and we think we have found The One at a Ford dealer in the area.

I would like to have a pre-purchase inspection done, but my plan was to take it to a Ford dealer. Since this one is already there, I am wondering whether to trust the dealership's own service department to do the pre-purchase inspection?

Will I get a fair inspection done there? Or should I take it somewhere else? Since this dealership is completely on the other side of town (almost the other side of the state) I don't really have any other mechanics I know in the area.

Your advice and thoughts are appreciated.

A potential conflict of interest would certainly exist. I'd take it to a different dealer, even a different Ford dealer. A different Ford dealer might be very happy to point out any deficiencies with a competitor's used car.

This is akin to a fox guarding the hen house. I would take it to a different shop for PPO. If they don't allow you to do that, I would be suspicious.

Alternatively, bring your own mechanic to the seller's place so that he can look it over, but that may limit him in terms of what he can inspect.

I work at a dealer. We check ours for safety and to make sure there are no glaring problems that might manifest themselves in the near future.

If you want a thorough and independent inspection I would go to a place that specializes in such inspections, I have taken a car to Auto Exam before and they did a great job. Very thorough, it took about two hours and I was the only one there. Once done however, I had a very detailed report on the condition of the car. Even some of the stuff I didn’t think to look at.

Some will even drive out in a van to the location of the car and perform the check there. However, most dealers are cool with independent inspections as they have nothing to lose. We look at it like this, if you take it and spend toward the inspection you are obviously serious about buying it and will likely do so if it passes. If it doesn’t we avoided an upset customer and got some info on a used vehicle that we otherwise would not have had. What is a few more miles on a used car anyhow?

If you are moderately handy you can ask them to show you the car up on the lift for free.

You'll see glaring body damage if it was fixed haphazardly (and for show from the "shiny side"), and also put the dealer on notice that you're not the average bozo.

They routinely steam clean engine compartments so you probably won't see oil leaks. If you do and there isn't any road grime it's really gushing out.

When it's in the air you'll see leaky struts (normally covered by dust boots) and you can grab each wheel and shake and spin feeling for roughness or play.

It's not perfect but it is convenient.

I used to work at a tire shop that did a free multi point inspection as part of any job (even a light bulb change) and a customer could theoretically just come in the door and get that. Would help to tip the service writer and mechanic in cash or donuts or beer though.

Take it to another dealer, I agree. It would be stupid of the dealer selling it to lie on a PPI though, as you could go after them for fraud -- which would destroy their credibility.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
...on a used car that they have for sale?

Never....the whole idea of an inspection is an objective opinion. If they refuse. Walk.

smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Take it to another dealer, I agree. It would be stupid of the dealer selling it to lie on a PPI though, as you could go after them for fraud -- which would destroy their credibility.

Sure hire a Lawyer and go after them....

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Tech doesn't care who's it is, he will get paid to fix it either way.

Not if the dealer he works for wants to save a few bucks by not having him fix certain things.

Take it to another shop for an opinion.

The dealer in Pepperell, MA did this before selling us the car (the one in the signature..) He just said "If it had 3000 less miles, it would have cost less," and told us about the "dash lights come on, and a floating shock on one corner. Otherwise? Mint." He also came down from the $2200 asking price, for a rock-bottom $2000 in cash. It was awesome.

It is better to go independent, but if you are maybe THERE while they inspect..

Let's define what "inspection" consists of?

I'd probably take it to a shop that you trust where you and the tech can take a look at things. One of the vw's I purchased from a dealer let me see the car up on the hoist. Found a leaking cv boot and radiator. The tech that did the inspection said it was good to go and a great car. Kinda odd that I found a coolant drip off the plastic cover underneath haha. When I went back there to buy the car he was already let go for moonlighting and taking customers from the shop.

I'm sure that the selling dealer did as little as possible to get the car on the lot.every dime they spend on repairs comes out of there bottom line. Id take it to another shop to be looked at.

I recently bought the used Kitacamry from a dealer and I found the following issues needed attention most of which I paid for myself after the sale...
windshield scratches across the entire passenger side (insurance co. wouldn't insure car unless replaced prior to purchase)...replaced by dealer
dead newt in the headlight assembly (fire hazard)....removed by dealer
sound deadening foam missing from inside replaced door skin...I paid for installation
cracked tail light: noticed after sale, no condensation inside so I've let it be, for now
pcv valve really gunked up/pcv hose brittle cracked ends: paid for their replacement
coolant really bad: noticed after sale, paid for drain/fill
braking pressures a bit soft: paid for flush
scratched rear window...let it be
seat rail plastic cover missing: paid for replacement

Other than $60 for the sound-deadening foam, the remaining costs were under $10 ea...yes they add up but I didn't want to mess the deal with petty nuisance issues.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is there a warranty?

No warranty. As-is.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TRUST THE SELLING STEALER TO DO THAT INSPECTION!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is there a warranty?

No warranty. As-is.

If they won't do a 50/50 (covering 50% of the cost of repair of internal lubricated engine parts for 30 days) run from the car unless it's under $2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back