Duralast Platinum Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed 6 Duralast Gold batteries running in various cars and trucks. One is going on 7 yrs old. None have any issues. Is this a step up from them?

Just checked. Comparing on my Camry there is no real difference between the Duralast Gold and the Platinum other than reserve capacity (slightly better on the Gold 24R) and warranty (3 For the Platinum, 8 for the Gold)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I installed 6 Duralast Gold batteries running in various cars and trucks. One is going on 7 yrs old. None have any issues. Is this a step up from them?

Just checked. Comparing on my Camry there is no real difference between the Duralast Gold and the Platinum other than reserve capacity (slightly better on the Gold 24R) and warranty (3 For the Platinum, 8 for the Gold)

+1 I have a gold in my Equinox now. Starts up strong!

I was relatively pleased with the Duralast Golds in my Civic and Integra.

Can't get a DLG for the Mazda or Chrysler. The red-top Duralast live about 2 years in the Mazda. 26R battery in the Chrysler hasn't made it past free replacement period yet. Being an undersized old style battery stuffed in that tiny engine compartment surrounded by turbo plumbing doesn't help.

If Autozone offers a group 96 in Platinum, I will pay for the upgrade when this red-top dies.

I wrap the Reflectix Radiant Barrier from Lowe's around the battery to reduce the engine heat, the battery case is about 20-30F lower after 20-30 minutes drive.

Home Depot has UltraTouch Radiant Barrier which is compatible with Reflectix at reasonable price of $19 for 24 sq ft.

Work at AZ.. The Platinums are the alternative to the Optimas. They are both made by Johnson Controls, both great batteries. I believe the only difference is the Optimas are mad (at least the internals that I know of) from all new material, not recycled, and the Platinums are made from recycled. They both have the same 3 yr free replacement warranty, you just save about $60.00 with the Platinums. I haven't heard any complaints about the Platinums so far.

There's a member on here, I can't remember the name, but he works for Johnson Controls, and he had a recent post in a topic about Optimas where he talked about the materials.

The platinum is totally different from the gold. The platinum is made with absorbed glass mat separator, while the gold is just a run of the mill lead-acid battery. The Diehard platinum agm for my Accord is running $188 on sale with exchange at sears, the gold is $105. The duralast platinum is $144.. gold $120. I'm in the market for a new battery myself.

I bought one last year and was very happy with it. It had the largest reserve capacity numbers out there by far in my size. It was heavier than the average, which to me means more material. The casing was nicely built. I too was under the impression that it was JCI.

My next batt will be one, though I really don't have extended experience with AGM in underhood temperatures.... they tend to not be as robust under high-heat... but if the valving and internal pressure is set right then theoretically it'd be comparable to other sealed batts.

The only thing I question---- the full replacement is 3 years. BUT, there's no prorate after that. If you look at every other premium offering, you get 3 yr + 7-8 prorated. not sure if that means anything.

Well built. Seemed like a great battery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back