Poll: regarding JWS 3309 fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, There are many vehicles fitted with the AW 55-50 5 speed transmission. I know of Toyota, Lexus, Saab and Volvo. The fluid for these units must meet a JWS 3309 spec. It took time to see the spec appear on aftermarket bottles of fluid but today it's fairly easy to find. My goal with this poll is to tally how many people successful used ANY 3309 specced substitute for branded Volvo, Saab, Toyota, Vauxhall or other car company transmission fluid. I've used substitute fluids in 3 AW 55-50 trannies with great success. Anybody else? Thanks Kira

Sure, I used the Amsoil ATF in my Volvo S60 for 75k miles with great sucess. Very smooth. Shifted as new.

I use Toyota T-IV or Mobil 3309. I've had them UOA'd after a valve body rebuild and both transmissions in the Volvos are performing perfectly at 150K+, even though they're known for trouble...

According to Mobil, #3309 is a "special" ATF developed for specific Aisin transmissions. Catrol Import ATF is the only common ATF that states it meets the spec.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
According to Mobil, #3309 is a "special" ATF developed for specific Aisin transmissions. Catrol Import ATF is the only common ATF that states it meets the spec.

LOL~! Castrol is NOT the only one who can make JWS3309 equivalent spec.

I'm currently using PetroCan DuraDrive MV synthetic ATF in my wifey's Camry, for it's spec'ed for 3309 as well.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/612.aspx

Q.

I have a Toyota Kluger 3.3 V6 (Highlander in USA) with an AW transmission that specifies Type 1V. I have done drain and refills every 20k miles from new with Type 1V, it now has 83k miles but recently I did a cooler line exchange using Redline D4 and have to report the changing is much smoother. I will keep this fluid in for 40/50 k miles then do another exchange using the same fluid. There are many major oil companies producing Type 1V alternatives and I think it is ok to use these. No oil company would risk its reputation offering oils which do not perform as advertised.
Roger

Originally Posted By: Eddie

Mobil is the only mfg( that I know of anwyay )to try and pass that fluid off as "special" so obviously they will try and make people think that. Toyota T-IV is the same stuff and will work just the same. I had a Chevy Equinox with an Aisin trans that called for T-IV or a fluid meeting the JWS3309 spec. If a universal fluid states it meets T-IV it will work in any trans calling for JWS3309.

Last edited:
I used Elf T4 in just about everything spec for T-IV for about 8 years. Never a problem

I have serviced my own Toyota with Penrite MHP, so far so good. I do feel a little duped buying this fluid though as it has no approvals whatsoever. It's only recommend for said applications.

I switched over to Maxlife and a bottle of lubeguard. Shifts very nicely. I originally had Mobil 3309 in it and it just never seemed to shift as well. Very jerky and would skip from time to time. All of these things were cured when I switched

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I switched over to Maxlife and a bottle of lubeguard. Shifts very nicely. I originally had Mobil 3309 in it and it just never seemed to shift as well. Very jerky and would skip from time to time. All of these things were cured when I switched
same results with me too

Since I usually keep my new bought vehicles for 125,000+ miles, I always use the manufactured recommended ATF. #3309 & T-IV are the same fluid and IF another ATF states it MEETS the 3309 spec, then I have no problem using it, I don't use a one fluid fits all if it states, "may be used" or "Suitable for" or some such weasel wording. JMO because I keep my vehicles for a fairly long time. Ed

As Eddie stated, none of the multi-vehicle fluids mentioned in this thread are actually approved for 3309 usage. They are "recommended" by the fluid maker.

That doesn't mean that they're bad or that the transmission won't live as long as it would with real 3309 juice...it might even live longer. Use anything you want, but know what you're getting.

I've used Mobil 3309 and the toyota t-iv (which is the same thing, the toyota branded one is probably 3309 anyway) and same results.
I've put ATP ATF Protectant in and it helped the shifting be smoother, and so far has helped the atf not get burned up as badly..
the fluid turns dark dark red and somewhat smells burnt, but every oil change, about 6500 miles I'd do a drop & fill, which is about 3 quarts.
I'm not a fan of t-iv/3309.

IMO using non-OEM fluids will not kill a transmission. A design flaw is what ends a transmission, off course it has to be unabused. sticking with OEM fluids is peace of mind, doesn't make sense to put expensive non spaced fluids and loose your mind.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
doesn't make sense to put expensive non spaced fluids and loose your mind.
Agreed. Glad Maxlife is cheaper than 3309/T-IV. It works better too!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
doesn't make sense to put expensive non spaced fluids and loose your mind.
Agreed. Glad Maxlife is cheaper than 3309/T-IV. It works better too!

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back