2013 Versa 6k miles, new engine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you Gripe long enough, I bet you will get a crate motor.

Sad, but in my experience true.

Last edited:
It's definitely frustrating when a virtually brand new car has major problems.

The very first brand new car I bought was a 2000 Ford Focus SE. Within 24 hours of driving it home, the airbag light came on. The driver's airbag had to be replaced and the parts were back ordered.

I spent the first 6 weeks of ownership with a loaner car. Looking back, I wish I would have pushed for a replacement car. It was nothing but trouble for its entire life.

Definitely a Fluke.
I know several people with Versa's and they all love them.
I don't think the engine is the pinnacle of smoothness and refinement but it gets the job done.

sorry to hear that, hope everything works out. i would ask that they at least put a good 10-20 miles on the car after the swap to make sure they get all the bugs out.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Finally got a tech with some good ears and common sense to listen to my new Versa in regards to the rattleing/knocking noise it has when its warm. They pulled another car in off the lot and listened to them side by side and concluded that I was right, my car has issues!

They called me and said we are putting a new shortblock in it after conducting a cylinder balance test they found cyl #2 abnormal. I guess I'm thankfull for the warranty and no questions asked but I hate having a brand new car molested so soon!

I used to regard Nissan as very high quality but now I see they partnered with Renault which doesn't look like it was a good idea...

Even a high quality company can have an issue. I wouldn't hold it against them, every manufacturer has problem areas. Chrysler has front suspension and electronics, Ford had engine blocks that liked shooting spark plugs, Toyota FJs had frame issues, Mercedes left out the Synthetic requirement for their MM which led to big issues, etc. etc.

I'm coming to learn that it's hard to pick a genuinely bad car, the most important part of ensuring a healthy car is to give that car the care it deserves.

Very well said. ^^

I'd return the car,period. A rebuilt car/engine is NOT a brand new car,which is what you paid for. I'd be ready to get an attorney on something like this if they tried to give me any [censored].

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Obligatory comment on how supposedly reliable Japanese branded cars are. Isn't this car actually made in Mexico?

Chrysler had a problem with the 3.8L engine they put in the Wranglers. The mexican plan had such low quality that they were installing the rings backwards, installing the pistons wrong and the bearings wrong.

I always heard that was the Mexican Volkswagen plant installing the rings wrong on the 2 Point Slows.

While probably a fluke but I think it might be a sign of a bigger quality control problem. if it's a Japanese brand everyone automatically assumes and is quick to say it's just a fluke. If it is a domestic then it's junk!

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
if it's a Japanese brand everyone automatically assumes and is quick to say it's just a fluke. If it is a domestic then it's junk!

If the OP's car were a domestic, I would have said the same thing. Probably just bad luck.

You guys have it all wrong. M1 0-30 is the problem.
39.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Obligatory comment on how supposedly reliable Japanese branded cars are. Isn't this car actually made in Mexico?

Chrysler had a problem with the 3.8L engine they put in the Wranglers. The mexican plan had such low quality that they were installing the rings backwards, installing the pistons wrong and the bearings wrong.

I always heard that was the Mexican Volkswagen plant installing the rings wrong on the 2 Point Slows.
It was definitely a problem on the Chrysler 3.8's. I had a 08 Jeep Wrangler that luckily did not have oil consumption issues, but I heard from lots of owners that did on several different Jeep forums

I had a 77 Dodge with a slant 6 that had to have the crank replaced at 5K. The crank was out of balance. It's painful to see your new engine in pieces all over a bench.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I had a 77 Dodge with a slant 6 that had to have the crank replaced at 5K. The crank was out of balance. It's painful to see your new engine in pieces all over a bench.

It never gets old when the owner of a newer diesel comes to pick something up from their truck in the shop and the tech is in the middle of a cab-off. The looks on their faces is priceless.

If you are wondering what a cab off is, on a lot of the Super Duty trucks, you have to pull the cab off to work on the engine properly, here is my friend's 6.0.

0413010939_zps8dcb95be.jpg

Well, the powertrain warranty is 5yr/60k and as one of the incentives I got the extended 100k warranty so even though I rack up mileage quickly I should be able to get it all sorted out I hope... if there are anymore serious issues such as this I'm requesting they buy it back and pursuing the lemon law. I'll give them this chance to make it right.

When we were shopping for a CRV I remember one in particular that had a new head. They were asking 19K for it. 50K on the engine. I asked them if they would come way down on the price. Of course they said no.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: tig1

It never gets old when the owner of a newer diesel comes to pick something up from their truck in the shop and the tech is in the middle of a cab-off. The looks on their faces is priceless.

If you are wondering what a cab off is, on a lot of the Super Duty trucks, you have to pull the cab off to work on the engine properly, here is my friend's 6.0.

0413010939_zps8dcb95be.jpg

Must be one of Ford`s brighter idea`s again huh??
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
smirk.gif

Ford truck, not a Ford engine though. You don't have to do cab-off on the gas engines.

smirk.gif

Ford truck, not a Ford engine though. You don't have to do cab-off on the gas engines.

I`m sorry for being sarcastic, I like Ford Trucks. And the new Ram also, but when you mentioned that you have to lift the cab. I was like whoa.

smirk.gif

I`m sorry for being sarcastic, I like Ford Trucks. And the new Ram also, but when you mentioned that you have to lift the cab. I was like whoa.

It is pretty common. I have seen techs lift the body off of Navigators and F150s to do engine work as well. The extra hour or so to pull the body off saves many hours and back pain working on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back