Transmission filter-No filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that on Hondas and I believe on Volvos that there is no transmission filter.I see that the filter is internal but what about the grim/grit that the transmission produces.I also believe that to do a service on these transmissions you just need to drain and refill 1-3 times.I'm curious.Thanks Joe

Metal debris gets stuck on the drain plug.

The filter is just a screen, so if there are large items, hopefully they drain out when fluid is changed.

If there's that much "junk" in the fluid to plug the filter, it's history for the trans anyways.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

The filter is just a screen, so if there are large items, hopefully they drain out when fluid is changed.

If there's that much "junk" in the fluid to plug the filter, it's history for the trans anyways.

Only ferrous metal will stick to the drain plug. What about the aluminum?

Thus the need for a Magnefine inline filter, best $20 you will spend on your auto transmission.

There IS a serviceable filter on the V6 honda transmissions. It is below the air box (accords). Very cheap from the dealer and easy to change.

If this is an accord, there are no transmission lines to tap into to put an inline filter in. You must do 3 drain and fills of 3 quarts to change the fluid.

Last edited:
Some Hondas have external filters that can be serviced. Some not. I believe all have internal strainers that can not be replaced without opening the transmission case. Some have filters that can not be replaced without opening the transmission case. For example, look at Honda estore web site.

For example the Honda Odyssey EX has two filters that cannot be replaced without opening the transmission case.
A 2007 Odyssey EX has a filter as item number 1 in the image below that can not be replaced without opening the transmission case.
http://estore.honda.com/honda/images/parts/catalogs/EA/14SHJ501/Estore/illustrations1/SHJ4A1700A.png

A 2007 Odyssey EX has a filter as item number 11 in the image below that can not be replaced without opening the transmission case..
http://estore.honda.com/honda/images/parts/catalogs/EA/14SHJ501/Estore/illustrations1/SHJ4A1840.png

Good luck.

Last edited:
i barowed this from a well known site BITOG, perhaps you have heard of it. LOL

1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com.au/magna-fine.html
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size reff:http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...sionfilter.asp

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Only ferrous metal will stick to the drain plug. What about the aluminum?

Thus the need for a Magnefine inline filter, best $20 you will spend on your auto transmission.

Blanket statements should be avoided. It varies by year and model. 2007 Civic has external filter under dash cowl as do some others. Honda service advisor (?) is clueless about this and says none do. I referred him to the FSM.

BTW - I never have dealer service my cars.............. this is just one reason why.

Last edited:
for give me for getting historical. but i bet you didnt know that in the early 60 chrysler put a filter in the coolant line on the chrysler 727 trans. 63-64 for sure. cant remember if the other lines did or not.

Originally Posted By: morris
for give me for getting historical. but i bet you didnt know that in the early 60 chrysler put a filter in the coolant line on the chrysler 727 trans. 63-64 for sure. cant remember if the other lines did or not.

interesting!

IMO it's no secret that better fluid filtration = longer service life. Its just why have the added cost when most transmissions will make it out of warranty (and beyond) without one.

For both the V6 & 4 cyl Accords from 2004 thru at least 2007, there is an inline replaceable auto trans filter. It looks exactly like the Magnafine examples-a small black cannister. It is mounted to the fender well in the proximity of the airbox. Dealers are not aware of it's existence, but it does have a Honda part number. I am planning to change mine for the first time with 180K miles. I change fluid every 30K miles though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back