ALL DOG OWNERS ~ PET FOOD INFO ~ MUST READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula...5 stars! Been feeding that to our boys for a long time. In my opinion it's a truly fine dog kibble containing ingredients not common to most. No grain either. Fantastic stuff....energy, healthy looking coat, firm stool, and never a stomach or bowel issue. Dogs love it. One main drawback? Expensive.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula...5 stars! Been feeding that to our boys for a long time. In my opinion it's a truly fine dog kibble containing ingredients not common to most. No grain either. Fantastic stuff....energy, healthy looking coat, firm stool, and never a stomach or bowel issue. Dogs love it. One main drawback? Expensive.

Yep. Good stuff for sure. I get the Sierra formula due to some allergy issues in one of the mutts. I spend about $45 for the big bag at TSC.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I can't understand the aversion to grains in dog food in this web site. I once dated a veterinarian who pointed out that dogs require more grain in their diet than humans. Dog foods are marketed as "beef flavored" or "meaty flavored" to appease humans, since after all, it is humans that buy the food and not dogs. The food is otherwise made up of grain for the dog's health.

I think your friend was mistaken. A dog digestive system is very similar to a wolf digestive system, which of course is where dogs come from. Wolves do not eat grains. Their diet is almost exclusively meat, although they do sometimes enjoy a vegetable, and if they get really hungry they will sometimes eat nuts or berries. Dogs and wolves both eat grass sometimes, but that's mostly for the fiber, and they stick to the top of the grass blades which is the most nutritious and hydrated, but it's not much for them. Their systems don't deal well with grains, they don't process them like we humans do. Dogs are not omnivores, they are carnivores. Corn and wheat would never be found in a wolf or feral dog diet, unless the animal were starving to death, even then many probably would not eat it.

Corn is especially bad for a dog, it's broken down into several chemicals in a dog's body that block serotonin. On top of that, the corn does not having any l-tryptophan, which is what is used to make serotonin in we mammals. Want to deplete your brain of serotonin? Eat only corn based products for a few weeks. This is why it's bad for your dog, he or she eats the same stuff day after day. If it's mostly corn, this can have all kinds of adverse behavioral effects on your pup. Wheat is a significant allergen to many dogs, sometimes it manifests in ways that are not obvious to the owner. Dogs can't say "Hey, my joins feel inflamed ever since you started me on that new food. And I have this strange full feeling all the time. You better check my intestines for inflammation."

All the fussing over dog food is kind of comical after all what did folks do 20, 30, 40, or so years ago when you didn't have this abundance of specialized varieties?

Some how did all those pets long ago usually live fairly healthy, long lives.... with some exceptions of course, like there always have been.

So many problems in the world, this is not one of them. LOL

FYI my family's long gone pet, a terrier-poo ate mostly Ken-L Ration "Special Cuts for Dogs" and she lived a long 18 years before passing away.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
All the fussing over dog food is kind of comical after all what did folks do 20, 30, 40, or so years ago when you didn't have this abundance of specialized varieties?

Some how did all those pets long ago usually live fairly healthy, long lives.... with some exceptions of course, like there always have been.

FYI my family's long gone pet, a terrier-poo ate mostly Ken-L Ration "Special Cuts for Dogs" and she lived a long 18 years before passing away.
grin.gif

No fussing for me. I just use my brain and do a bit of reading about canines...where they came from....and a diet that I believe would be best for them. I love my dogs and choose to feed them something I feel is best for them. When I was a kid we had dogs in the house all the time. Ate typical cheap food then as it was all that was available. They had all sorts of issues that probably were at least somewhat linked to a poor diet.
Times change....info and research advances. Only a non-learning individual (or ignorant by choice) person would choose to live in the past.
To each his own.

Modern genetically modified wheat and grains are fit for neither man nor beast.

Wheat products of today are a major cause of obesity and other aliments in humans, and now pets.

Originally Posted By: callbay
Any five star dry dogfood available at local stores like Wa-Mart, Sam's, or Target?

I jsut looked up a five star dogfood that was $78 for 25 pounds mailorder. A little too expensive for three dogs.

We usually bought Foster Farm whole chicken on sale for around $0.69-$0.79 a pound. My wife separate the meat for either grilling or other dishes, and we slow cook the bone to make broth.

Why people food costs as little as 69 cents a pound and pet food is 4 times more at $3 a pound ?

We feed our Corgi Chevy nothing but Blue Buffalo. We switched him to the Wilderness grain-free formula about a year or so ago,and he loves it. He's still a very healthy weight,and his coat is nice also.

It's a little pricey,and no store sells it locally. It's worth it for our dog though! Worth every penny.

That $3 per pound is for a dry dog food. It has a lot less water and thus less weight for the amount of meat used to make it. Compare that $3 to the price of a bag of beef jerky.

Back when I was a kid, the dogs had "kibble" (kibbled grains), table scraps and canned dog food. Dad's Greyhounds had weetbix as well. (Greyhounds also stood high and ate ridiculous amounts of grapes of all things).

These days, the canned dog food is full of titanium dioxide (white pain pigment) to make the black offal look like meat chinks, the dry processed stuff is full of resteraunt grease trap residue, and the stuff that's not fit to be made into hot-dogs.

30-40 years ago, dog food was made as a food, not a rubbish dump

http://www.critterminute.com/aafco-admits-to-euthanized-pets-in-pet-food/

My first dog (that I chose), our vet was Ian Billinghurst (google him), who studied what animals ate, and their outcomes...he has the cheapest, healthiest way of feeding dogs that exists.

Our ten month old beagle had been getting allergic reactions. The vet said its due to some poultry thing in his diet. We had been feeding him TOTW but now trying a hypoallergenic brand and yes he is responding well to it. Yet to see vet one more time though.

Unfortunately its not just dog food.
The avian vet take the parrots to to me straight up don't buy any food or snacks from Walmart or Hartz for these birds, they contain poor ingredients and even some poison in the form of seeds that can kill them.

Good natural hand blended food from a respected family run business cost $8 a pound vs $9.99 for 5lb of this junk sold at Walmart.
The health and appearance of the birds is phenomenal on the good food. Thankfully i never fed them any cheap stuff.

I put NO STOCK in these websites.

I purchased multiple bags and multiple flavors of Origen dog food based on this information. My dog became unusually lethargic and started having sebaceous cysts all over. I thought she was ill. But after a while, I got the idea to change to store purchased Purina and that solved the problem.

So, I gave away the Origen and the other dog got sick too.

I'm sorry, but this information is somehow incomplete. And, while it's true that the Chinese have poisoned our animals, it's NOT TRUE that your dog will suffer a shorter or less healthy life with conventional, high quality, store bought dog food.

Originally Posted By: daman
Would the "Blue Buffalo Wilderness" be the same as the "blue wilderness" on the list of 5 star?

Yes. They're the same.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm sorry, but this information is somehow incomplete. And, while it's true that the Chinese have poisoned our animals, it's NOT TRUE that your dog will suffer a shorter or less healthy life with conventional, high quality, store bought dog food.

Your experience is definitely an anomaly. All of my dogs have been healthier on higher quality food after getting them off the Science Diet junk that the shelter fed them.

Purina is not high quality. The Purina One Beyond is decent, but all of their food is heavy on fillers.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I put NO STOCK in these websites.

I purchased multiple bags and multiple flavors of Origen dog food based on this information. My dog became unusually lethargic and started having sebaceous cysts all over. I thought she was ill. But after a while, I got the idea to change to store purchased Purina and that solved the problem.

So, I gave away the Origen and the other dog got sick too.

Well, Purina certainly is not high quality dog food in any way. Will it suffice? In many cases, yes. But then I could exist on fast food instead of healthy, nutritional foods that I currently eat. To categorically say that it's 'not true' what is stated by canine nutritional experts is sort of ignoring available facts and data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back