Help with oil for high milage '91 Trooper 2.8L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched and read and quite frankly am seeing oil cans in my sleep!

I could use some direction with regard to selecting an oil for my 1991 Isuzu Trooper with 175K miles. This is not a daily driver but is used for weekend trips, periodically hauling a small trailer with loads of gravel, dirt, and the like, or for errands on weekends and for commuting in snow storms. So, a mix of long and short trips but used intermittently. I probably put about 1500 - 2000 miles a year on the vehicle.

I go through about a quart every 1500 - 2000 miles and it has done so for years. There is no blue smoke on start up -- no overt signs whatsoever of burning though I think that's where it goes. There are minor leaks at the valve covers. The rear main seal was replaced with the clutch about 30K ago -- no leaks there. I've used Chevron 10w30 mineral oil for years, changing frequently (at least 3k or so miles) over the last 15 years. It's gotten me this far.

So what oil should I be using with the goal of staving-off rebuild/replacement and getting the very most out of this engine? I'm afraid that synthetic will be money wasted given the infrequency with which I use the truck. Not sure that a high mileage oil is necessary as I'm not trying to stop leaks. Increased mpg would be a great byproduct but, hey, it is a truck! I live in the Pacific Northwest so in summer, 80's is norm, 90's is hot and uncommon. In winter, 30's and 40's common, 20's uncommon and dropping to the teens is rare.

Hope I didn't forget anything! Thanks up front!

Eric

Try Pennzoil High Mileage 10w-40 or Valvoline MaxLife 10w-40. In winter you can use a 5w-30

Dont expect a huge improvement right off the bat, but on the second fill with these liquids you should see impressive results

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Try Pennzoil High Mileage 10w-40 or Valvoline MaxLife 10w-40. In winter you can use a 5w-30

Dont expect a huge improvement right off the bat, but on the second fill with these liquids you should see impressive results

Is there a reason you recommend the 10w-40 specifically? I'm pretty sure it's spec'ed for 10w-30.

thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted By: ELarsen

Is there a reason you recommend the 10w-40 specifically? I'm pretty sure it's spec'ed for 10w-30.

thanks for the reply!

If a 30 grade is specified I suggest looking at Quaker state defy in the 5w-30 flavour. Great oil at a great price and its a syn blend. It will easily do your mileage per year.

thanks for the reply!

The car is ALSO specified for a 40 weight in temperatures about 19F. 10w-30 is just the recommended oil weight. Since you are have burn-off issues, this shows that the 30 grade is not providing a thick enough oil film between the worn out cylinder walls and piston rings. Using a 40 weight will increase this thickness and reduce burnoff. Considering the car is specced for a optional 40 weight above 19F, this is a viable option.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Shell, 5w40 synthetic with t6, simple.

Yes, this sounds like a great application for T6. High-quality syn, cheap(ish), easy to get, 5w for cold starts, 40 to help fight burn off. Change it once a year. Perfect.

What you are currently using sounds fine and seems to be working. Yes, it burns some oil (not necessarily all rings/cylinder btw), and if that troubles you, you could use a 10W-30/10W-40 high mileage oil. I am sort of partial to Maxlife as I have had good results over the years reducing oil consumption and keeping old engines going. Quaker State Defy 10W-30 might also be a good option if you can find it out there in PNW.

thanks for the reply!

The car is ALSO specified for a 40 weight in temperatures about 19F. 10w-30 is just the recommended oil weight. Since you are have burn-off issues, this shows that the 30 grade is not providing a thick enough oil film between the worn out cylinder walls and piston rings. Using a 40 weight will increase this thickness and reduce burnoff. Considering the car is specced for a optional 40 weight above 19F, this is a viable option.

This makes sense. I worry about too thick not making it around the engine on startup but that's what the 10w is for...thank you!

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Yes, this sounds like a great application for T6. High-quality syn, cheap(ish), easy to get, 5w for cold starts, 40 to help fight burn off. Change it once a year. Perfect.

Is the Rotella T6? That's supposed to be pretty robust. 5W-40 isn't too much of a trade-off in terms of the additive package wearing out prematurely due to the wide viscosity band? I ask because from what I've read there's a tradeoff and if there wasn't, everyone would use 0w50 and call it good.

thanks!

Mobil 1 0w-40 carries some diesel specs. Does this oil qualify for use in this engine. If it will I'd try it out.
If not then disregard this post

Our dad owned a '89 Trooper when we lived in Washington State. We had it until '96 when his company gave him a job at their headquarters in Ohio, and he sold it before we moved. He regretted it later, no problems while we owned it. It was the 4 cylinder engine, not the v-6. As to the oil dad used in it, he used Pennzoil yellow bottle 10W-30 most of the time, but he would pour in a few ounces of the Tufoil additive that a friend gave him. Not sure if it was because the engine liked the thicker oil better or the Tufoil was really reducing friction, but dad would let the engine idle after the oil change and pour it in. We could hear the change as it started circulating through, the engine became smoother and quieter as it was running.

Now, we own a 2001 Trooper 3.5 liter v-6 and have had it since new. We used Amsoil 10W-30 from the start until the last couple of years. I start experimenting with other oils. Our Trooper also was consuming oil. Tried Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30, Rotella 15W-40, and T6. Currently we are using Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40. The Trooper really seems to like the Delvac so far, my brother drove it the other day, and he made the comment how well it was running. It is helping slowing down the oil consumption as well, the most out of all the other oils I tried.

I think the Troopers actually prefer the thicker oils, at least in the warmer months and summer for sure. Our Trooper's Owner's Manual has a little sentence in it where it talks about selecting the proper viscosity, after saying 10W-30 is the recommended weight, it says that warmer temperatures require oil of heavier viscosity for satisfactory lubrication.

Being in the Pacific Northwest, you might want use a 10W-30 or 5W-30 in the winter, but in the summer a 40 weight should be fine, it would protect it better probably, especially if you are towing a small trailer occasionally.

If you are looking for recommendations on oil brands, I like Mobil Delvac/Mobil 1 because of their proven ability to keep engines really clean. Also the Mobil Delvac 1300 has almost stopped the oil consumption with our Trooper, and the oil is helping it run really smooth and quiet right now.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Is the Rotella T6? That's supposed to be pretty robust. 5W-40 isn't too much of a trade-off in terms of the additive package wearing out prematurely due to the wide viscosity band? I ask because from what I've read there's a tradeoff and if there wasn't, everyone would use 0w50 and call it good.

thanks!
It's a 91 rice burner, ....not a new Ferrari!
T6 works well in my several high miles Toyota products.

Last edited:
I have used Castrol forever in all my cars. Currently have a 91 4runner with over 260k and run the green jug Castrol HM 10-40 in it. Wonderful oil and never any issues. Also use the transmax HM Castrol tranny fluid.

[/quote] It's a 91 rice burner, ....not a new Ferrari!
T6 works well in my several high miles Toyota products. [/quote]

No! It's not a rice burner. This is a GM/Chevy 2.8L 60 deg. V6.

I'm hoping for those knowledgeable with oil and this particular engine will respond.

I'm hoping for those knowledgeable with oil and this particular engine will respond.

you are looking for a guy on here with a screen name ramblinfever. he has a 91 rodeo with 350,000 miles and original gm 60 degree v-6 in it. i don't know what oil was used in it?

side note: he also has a 97 rodeo with over 200,000 miles on it but that one has the non-gm motor. mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back